Redwood tail cone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
I have turned several nose cones and one tail cone from basswood. Basswood has a very tight grain, turns easily, and finishes exceptionally well.
But basswood blocks are hard to find and expensive. So I looked for an alternative...

58_shaping.jpg

089.JPG

I decided to try redwood. I found a kiln dried redwood 4x4 at Lowes, that is actually a post for a stair handrail. I decided to try turning a tail cone with it. I was originally planning to turn it for 3.1" tubing, but changed to 3", so I had to switch to a smaller face plate. I drilled the through hole with a 1-3/8" Forstner bit and extension.

016.JPG

026.JPG

057.jpg

036.JPG

039.JPG

042.JPG

046.JPG

047.JPG

048.JPG

It turned easily and sanded smooth. I'm happy with it so far. I'll paint it later today and see how it looks.

049.JPG

050.JPG

052.JPG

053.JPG

054.JPG

055.JPG

This is a short rocket, and I'll be using a plastic nose cone. With the heavier tail cone, OR says it'll need 6 oz. of nose weight. That's not too bad.

Redwoods density per cubic foot falls in the middle of the range for basswood, basswood weighs 20-37 lbs/cu ft, redwood is aproximately 28 lbs/cu ft, balsa is around 7-9 lbs/cu ft. Of course all those are average ranges.

Balsa would have been better weight wise, but it's more expensive than basswood. And it's hard to finish.

I've decided to use an aluminum plate for retention. I drilled all the way through with a 3/16" bit, and drilled recesses for t-nuts with a 5/8" Forstner bit. I'll be using 6-32 threaded rod.

064.JPG

065.JPG

066.JPG

067.JPG

Did those words really come out of your fingers? YOU??? Mr. Top Shelf Craftsman? :surprised:

Craftsman or not (and that's debateable), you know I've always had a love/hate relationship with paint and finishing in general. My one and only balsa turning didn't finish so well.

156_transition.jpg

342_primer.jpg

362_transition.jpg

373_transition.jpg

374_primer.jpg

376_white.jpg

I'm not ashamed of that at all! I'm very happy with how it turned out.

069.JPG

070.JPG

071.JPG

072.JPG

Balsa would have been better weight wise, but it's more expensive than basswood. And it's hard to finish.
Amen, large chunks of balsa or basswood are hard to come by locally and expensive when they are. Shipping for large blocks generally makes them more expensive than locally sourced wood.

Craftsman or not (and that's debateable), you know I've always had a love/hate relationship with paint and finishing in general. My one and only balsa turning didn't finish so well.

FWIW, I've turned a few transitions and they are by far, some of the hardest turns I've done. Only used balsa though. I imagine a tougher wood would be easier. As for nose cones, I turn those all the time with balsa and rarely a problem.

But it's a tailcone.

Of course it is. I was just saying how a heavier wood is fine for turning nose cones seeing how you're prolly gonna need that extra weight anyway.

Back