Who Belongs To This Rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Byrum

Overstable By Design
Reaction score
I found this in an image search and the only thing I know about it is, it was in the "What did you do rocket wise today" thread. Problem was, I wasn't directed straight to where it was in the thread when I clicked on it. We all know how long that thing is, so if anybody can identify it and or the builder, I'd like to touch base with him/her. It really caught my eye.

Mystery Rocket.jpg

Very cool looking, and looks familiar. But I can't remember where I saw it.

Using TinEye I found this and it appears to belong to Estesbasher. The thread is L1 test Big Daddy - post #26

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?51019-L1-test-Big-Daddy&p=513922#post513922

Further researching actually led me the wrong way. I was under the impression BeerorKid made it and sent him a message. Now that I know it's a Big Daddy bash, I am wondering what modifications were used. It appears he had sliced the nose cone in the near center so there would be a curved transition of sorts underneath. I suppose, if I wanted to create a mock up of it, I could use a PNC 80K and build accordingly. Wish I had the exact fin template though. Thanks sl98. Nice find!

Ruh-roh! When Gary gets this enthusiastic about somebody else's build, you can smell the burning grey matter all the way in Hickory Grove!

Ruh-roh! When Gary gets this enthusiastic about somebody else's build, you can smell the burning grey matter all the way in Hickory Grove!

INDEED! I already got the the BD scale for it and chopped it down to BT 80 size. Interesting fact, that BD nose cone is the exact same profile of the PNC 80 K

I found this in an image search and the only thing I know about it is, it was in the "What did you do rocket wise today" thread. Problem was, I wasn't directed straight to where it was in the thread when I clicked on it. We all know how long that thing is, so if anybody can identify it and or the builder, I'd like to touch base with him/her. It really caught my eye.

View attachment 338263

It is so darn beautiful. I painted it green.

THanks again estesbasher

And I just finished it up. Still needs the laundry and balancing. But I think it turned out pretty good. I'm calling it "Slick Daddy".

Slick Daddy.jpg

Nifty. How did you do the cone?

Looks like it would need a lot of nose weight.

It's a PNC 80K that was sawed off at the top at a point where I could install a BT 60 coupler inside. Still plenty of area to put weight in. The tip is hollow. The color btw, is Testors transparent blue over Rusto 2X gold. Came out looking somewhat Teal. I love the design man.

Back