Different types of rockets and flying, curious.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeyDSlagle

Reaction score
Most folks have special rockets, sentimental rockets and so on. I thought it would be fun so see what folks have in their fleet.

1. The one that started, or restarted, it all. The one that got you hooked, or what not.
  2. A favorite rocket to fly.
  3. Old reliable that has been around the block a few times but flies true, deploys great and lands safely every time.
  4. The cursed bird that something always goes wrong.
  5. The old dog that only flies on occasion because you never know when the next flight will be it's last.
  6. Your "5th Symphony"...the pinnacle of your rocketry hobby thus far. Polished nice and pretty, attention to the slightest detail.
  7. The "Sunday Driver". That special rocket that you only take out once or twice a year. (probably due to the cost of motors, or maybe complexity of prepping it) But when it makes an appearance, it is truly a sight to behold.
  8. Fan favorite. The rocket that gets the most comments at a launch.
  9. Mr Sentimental. A rocket that holds a special place for whatever reason.

For me: I haven't been flying all that long and only make, at the most, 4 launches a year.

1. Baby Bertha. My younger brother was looking at kits around the same time I had been looking at the Baby Bertha. I bought one and built it and we launched together in my yard. He hasn't launched since then but I haven't looked back.
  2. Wastelander. My 4" Cowabunga. Flies straight up on whatever I stick in it. Got a nice whistle to it. Short and stubby. What's not to love?
    wastelander 3.jpg
  3. My Big Daddy. Only rocket I fly without electronic apogee deployment. Steady diet of E20Ws. It does carry a chute release though.
  4. Wildman Sport. First flight was great. Been downhill ever since. An early deployment resulting in damage to the airframe and a non-deployment resulting in a lawn dart.
    29 rocket.jpg
  5. Haven't been around long enough to have one of these.
  6. Danger Close. My level 1 bird. My own design and I am proud of it. Soon to fly on a J...maybe. Black and yellow polished to a (near) mirror shine.
    danger close x.jpg
  7. Binder Design Tyrannosaur. Overweight with a 54mm hole gives it a healthy appetite for J's, it cost a little more than expected to fly. LOL. Only once so far. But man was it a great flight.
    lvl 2 preflight.jpg
  8. Wastelander. It has gotten the most comments. Probably because it is always there and gets seen the most.
  9. If ever a rocket was sentimental to me it would probably be a tie between Big Daddy and Wildman Sport. Both were gifts from the near-wife. The Big Daddy was the biggest rocket I had seen at the time and the Wildman Sport was my first glass kit.

Any more I couldn't think of?

Last edited:
[*]The one that started it all and got me hooked:
The Centuri Screaming Eagle I got for Christmas in 1971.

[*]Favorite rocket to fly.
Pem-Tech King Kraken, she is always an attention getter and flies beautifully.
KKH1806579small.jpg

[*]Old reliable that has been around the block a few times but flies true, deploys great and lands safely every time.
1.6" Kraken, she flies every launch.
KrakenG77NSL2007_DSC_4846CR.jpg

[*]The cursed bird that something always goes wrong.
Hate to say it but this would be my personal 3FNC. Lost the first one, the second did a ground-piggy, the third had the nose ballast break loose then, at a different launch, the chute failed to deploy. This photo is of an underpowered test flight.
P6180748_3FNC_Prang.jpg

[*]The old dog that only flies on occasion because you never know when the next flight will be it's last.
2.6" scratch Sea Skimmer
1SeaSkimmerDSC_8569.jpg

[*]Your "5th Symphony"...the pinnacle of your rocketry hobby thus far. Polished nice and pretty, attention to the slightest detail.
3" Space Ark, a lovely bird but that *%$#@& chrome paint will never harden.
SpaceArkL1flight_DSC_4786CR.jpg

L1prep_DSC_4770CR.jpg

[*]The "Sunday Driver". That special rocket that you only take out once or twice a year. (probably due to the cost of motors, or maybe complexity of prepping it) But when it makes an appearance, it is truly a sight to behold.
Scratch 2.6" HMAS Bonestell, she is the original build, the one and only.
Bonestell_onpad_DSC_4852CR.jpg

[*]Fan favorite. The rocket that gets the most comments at a launch.
Still need to get this one into production. The Arcturus....
MSRS_Arcturus_0181.jpg

[*]Mr Sentimental. A rocket that holds a special place for whatever reason.
Scratch built Commander Willy's Red Rocket.
CWRRflight_4302.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. The Kraken looks great!! I had one on my wish list for a long time. Never got one. May need to revisit that list.
The Sea Skimmer. Two stage I hope with that booster falling away. LOL. That is an awesome picture.

Latest posts

Back