How to (re)build a Rocketry Warehouse Formula 200 booster.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And the shirt had to be as close to the Opposite of black as possible!

Interesting events with the fin coming out of place with the template. I try and avoid that by cutting the slots so that they jam the fins against the tube. I've also seen masking tape used on the big spans.

And the shirt had to be as close to the Opposite of black as possible!

Interesting events with the fin coming out of place with the template. I try and avoid that by cutting the slots so that they jam the fins against the tube. I've also seen masking tape used on the big spans.

Yep, lots of ways to avoid what happened. The simplest would have been to do one fin at a time. I just tried to cut a corner and paid for it. Thanks for following the build.

STEP 21 -- Install the rear CR.

Simple. Slide on the rear CR and add epoxy fillets around the MMT and the inside of the booster.

IMG_2601.jpg

STEP 22 -- Attach the thrust plate.

I used nylon insert nuts and two washers on each T-rod.

IMG_2602.jpg IMG_2603.jpg

STEP 23 -- Measure, match and drill for shear pins.

This was tricky. I wanted to match three of my five (I never use more than three) shear pin holes. I posted awhile back and decided to use a droplight to shine through the old holes so I could mark them.

IMG_2604.jpg

I lined up the decal on the switchband with the front fin (not pictured), and taped on the coupler. I marked the holes where the light was.

IMG_2606.jpg

I used the drill-backing tool from my earlier posts to get clean holes.

IMG_2608.jpg

I made sure I had an alignment mark.

IMG_2609.jpg

And here you can see the result with two of the three pins inserted.

IMG_2610.jpg

Just a few things left: sand where external fin fillets will go. Tape off for fin fillets. Apply fin fillets. Put on the decal.

WARNING! Learn to do fin fillets from someone who takes it more seriously than I do.

None of my rockets is a work of art. I just want them to fly and be safe. Not hideous, but I don't spend precious hours on the details.

STEP 24 -- Prep for external fin fillets.

I picked up some 2.88" and 1" blue tape for fillet masking. I taped over the whole fin can area, leaving roughly a half-inch gap along each side of each fin slot. Instead of rounded ends, I just make a diagonal.

IMG_2611.jpg IMG_2612.jpg

IMG_2613.jpg

I used 60-grit to sand the slots prior to laying fillets. I used a cloth soaked in acetone to clean up the dust.

IMG_2615.jpg IMG_2616.jpg

At this point, four of the six fillets are done. Will post when complete.

FINALLY got a few minutes to upload pics!

STEP 25 -- Lay external fin fillets.

My method does not make pretty fillets. It saves me time so that I can focus more on what I love doing -- launching! But they have structural integrity. They aren't coming off. So here it is.

I mix up 4.2 oz. of RocketPoxy and add the black dye. This is enough for 2 fillets. I lay the rocket with one fin pointing straight down, and apply fillets to the insides of the two fins forming the Y at the top.

I mix up the epoxy, wait about 20 minutes for it to get peanut-buttery, then smooth them on with an over-sized tongue depressor. I wait about 20 more minutes to pull tape.

I ended up with some ugliness, but I'll grind it off with the Dremel.

Pics, in no particular order:

IMG_2629.jpg IMG_2630.jpg

IMG_2631.jpg IMG_2632.jpg

IMG_2635.jpg

Got a lunch this weekend, then I'll grind the excess epoxy off the fillets. After that, I will post the final step: applying the decal.

Finished!

STEP 26 -- Apply decal.

Sadly I did not take any pics of my process. Got to StickerShock23.com and watch Mark's video. Here are pics with the decal on.

IMG_2701.jpg IMG_2700.jpg IMG_2702.jpg

When the weather clears (it waited until the first day of Spring to snow :facepalm:), I will do a before and after picture (old booster, new booster side by side).

Last edited:
When the weather clears (it waited until the first day of Spring to snow :facepalm:), I will do a before and after picture (old booster, new booster side by side).

The groundhog said 6 weeks of winter.....he never said they'd be consecutive

Way to soldier on through the rebuild!

Here it is! The story with why the decal is so different is a long one, but I'll tell it if anyone asks. Meanwhile, here it is with the original booster on the left, and the new booster on the right.

In two weeks, it is going up on an N2196 Red EX motor.

IMG_1824 (2).jpg IMG_2706.jpg

Can you tell us more about this motor on the EX forum? Something you made?

I didn't make it. Scott Szympruch did. That guy has been cranking out motors like a madman. An N for me, an O for Tom Cohen, an M and two Qs for the Redstone project. Thanks, Scott!

Great work John..
Good for you man..
That "N" is going to be a fantastic flight,,
I can't wait to see that one..

Teddy

Here it is! The story with why the decal is so different is a long one, but I'll tell it if anyone asks. Meanwhile, here it is with the original booster on the left, and the new booster on the right.

In two weeks, it is going up on an N2196 Red EX motor.

View attachment 341896 View attachment 341895
Well, it has been about a year since I started this thread, and tomorrow may be the day ... the day it finally goes up on the N motor. Skies are to be clear, clouds over 12k'. Only potential problem will be the wind, which will be around 15mph. We'll have to see when I get. Plus, that is ground wind. We'll have to see where they're coming down and how they're being blown.

I forgot that the motor is even red. Scott makes a beautiful red formula.

Back