Any buying suggestions?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsp

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to model rocketry and I want to get to mid power. Are there any challenging to build (and pretty big as well [emoji6] ) rocket kits you would recommend to buy and build? I've got the Estes Black Star voyager already and I'm looking for something at least the size and power of the voyager.

I would suggest looking at Madcow kits. Lots of selection in MPR range. I have a few of their kits. High quality and great customer service. Another option would be LOC. I don't have LOC kits personally but LOC is also highly regarded.

If you like futuristic designs, check out Sirius Rocketry. I've been seriously coveting an Eradicator.

Sirius Rocketry has some nice options if you're into scifi models.

In general, though, larger rocket kits tend not to be complex in the way of things like the BSV (BTW did you build yours already? That's a heck of a thing to build when you're first starting out.) The most obvious exception would be scale models of things like the Saturn V and Saturn 1B, Soyuz or Vostok. Or if you want to go crazy you can build one of the new N-1 kits (but seriously, you might go crazy. See Aerostadt's build).

Go look through the list of Skill Level 5 rockets on the Apogee site.

All that said: I wouldn't recommend most of these kits for someone who is "new to rocketry". You should work up to them.

I'm new to model rocketry and I want to get to mid power. Are there any challenging to build (and pretty big as well [emoji6] ) rocket kits you would recommend to buy and build? I've got the Estes Black Star voyager already and I'm looking for something at least the size and power of the voyager.

Welcome to the fun and more expensive side of rocketry!
If you liked the challenge of BSV, I would suggest either 24mm or 29mm Sirius Interrogator:
https://www.siriusrocketry.biz/ishop/sirius-rocketry-kits-3/

It's a fun and challenging build, the rocket looks great, and flights straight and true.

If you want workhorse, indestructible MPR kits, anything in fiberglass will be hard to beat. Plenty of FG vendors out there, but sl98 mentioned, MadCow kits are great. However, they wont be as intricate as the above.

In addition, you may want to think through the decision of transitioning to either 24mm or 29mm reusable motors (RMS).
It may take a little bit of effort and investment to get going, but they are far cheaper to fly per reload, then buying disposable Estes motors. There are pro's and con's to both 24mm (cheaper reloads, can be used in 29mm tubes with adapters) and 29mm (more powerful reloads, can support L1 cert flights) directions, but unless you are willing to stock both, pick one and make sure all your mid-power kits can fly them.

Good luck,
a

Sirius Rocketry has some nice options if you're into scifi models.

In general, though, larger rocket kits tend not to be complex in the way of things like the BSV (BTW did you build yours already? That's a heck of a thing to build when you're first starting out.) The most obvious exception would be scale models of things like the Saturn V and Saturn 1B, Soyuz or Vostok. Or if you want to go crazy you can build one of the new N-1 kits (but seriously, you might go crazy. See Aerostadt's build).

Go look through the list of Skill Level 5 rockets on the Apogee site.

All that said: I wouldn't recommend most of these kits for someone who is "new to rocketry". You should work up to them.
Yes, my voyager just needs some finishing touches when it comes to assembly, then comes painting, but the build itself was super fun :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Rocketry Forum mobile app

I bet they have mail service ;-)

No doubt. But maybe not everthing that's available in the U.S.A. ?

New question for the op; what motors are available in Poland ? Mid power commonly means E thru G impulse class

I bet they have mail service ;-)

alex

P.S.: Oh, wow, everyone likes and recommends Sirius Rocketry kits!

No doubt. But maybe not everthing that's available in the U.S.A. ?

New question for the op; what motors are available in Poland ? Mid power commonly means E thru G impulse class

Ok, well, assuming you can get them:

Sirius kits are top notch. The Deimos is a great small field flyer on an Estes E12. Really wants Aerotech E and F composites.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?41087-Sirius-Rocketry-Deimos&highlight=deimos

I think the Apogee Aerodactl 2 stager is a great bang-for-the buck model on Estes 29mm BP motors. Fairly new one on my list.
https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket-Kits/Skill-Level-3-Model-Rocket-Kits/AeroDactyl-TS

For a fun and challenging build, you might want to build an A.C.M.E. Spitfire. I've not built one yet, but am looking forward to scoring one.

Hi guys, unfortunately rocketry is a very uncommon hobby in Poland so I ship all the parts, kits and engines above C from Italy. They have a great shop https://www.sierrafoxhobbies.com/en/

Sent from my SM-G930F using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Looks like they stock PML, for mid power an AMRAAM 2 or Small Endeavour would be nice builds that will take a few of the larger engines if you have a chance to fly them. The Estes PSII Nike Smoke is also a decent size kit for 29mm mid power motors.

Don't rule out USA stores, some of them are pretty helpful with shipping and if you're not in a hurry the rates are not too bad. Just make sure you figure out everything you need to buy it in one parcel!

If he ships your way try Binder design, my first mid power kit was a Binder design which i still have and lost count on how many flights.

IMHO, a first good MPR choice is any of the Aerotech kits, especially the 2.6" ones.

What kind of motors do you plan to use?

Mid power kits can tend to be on the heavy side and unsuitable for black powder motors. I have a madcow discovery that was a cinch to build and rock solid, but it’s 450g dry and needs at least an F20 to get safely off the pad. I have a modified Estes executioner (29mm mount, Kevlar shock cord and a nylon chute) that’s still 2.5” that’s half the weight and flys great on e12/16 and f15 motors.. Unlikely to survive its first hard landing tho. If you’re planning on going to composite motors, then just about any model out there will do. I prefer models with 29mm mounts and just use and adapter to fly 24mm motors. You’ll need suitable launch hardware too... a 3/16” three foot rod won’t cut it for a half kg model...

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Back