A galling problem

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
I've been using Xacto knives a long time. One big problem I've had is with the #5 large plastic handles. The ferrule, collet, and knife shaft are all made from the same, soft aluminum alloy. This causes the parts to gall if overtightened. I've had several handles ruined by friends just sitting there and twisting the ferrule back-and-forth. They weren't really doing anything wrong, they just didn't know any better (they didn't do it a second time!). Ant ideas for lube/grease to put on the parts to keep this from happening?

Also any anti seize designed for spark plugs should be fine as it's for aluminium heads, so most auto parts stores should have little packets.

Also any anti seize designed for spark plugs should be fine as it's for aluminium heads, so most auto parts stores should have little packets.

+1
Just stop by your favorite auto parts store. You will likely be able to pick up a small packet if all you need it for is your knife. I do a fair amount of my own auto maintenance and use the stuff on most of the hardware. It also is great for a squeaky hinge in the house, just tap out the pin, lightly coat it and tap it back in.

The anti-seize mentioned will certainly do the job. It is great stuff and has a myriad of uses, but it is also quite possibly the messiest compound ever formulated by man. I mean it gets everywhere and it seems like a pin head-sized drop can contaminate an entire blanket. It was designed for somewhat high stress and/or repetitive applications and is probably overkill in this case. It absolutely will do the job though.

For a low stress application like a knife ferrule I just smear a bit of vaseline or reload case lube on there every now and then. Works great, you probably already have some and you won't need a professional cleaning crew to come get it off your entire neighborhood.

The anti-seize mentioned will certainly do the job. It is great stuff and has a myriad of uses, but it is also quite possibly the messiest compound ever formulated by man. I mean it gets everywhere and it seems like a pin head-sized drop can contaminate an entire blanket. It was designed for somewhat high stress and/or repetitive applications and is probably overkill in this case. It absolutely will do the job though.

For a low stress application like a knife ferrule I just smear a bit of vaseline or reload case lube on there every now and then. Works great, you probably already have some and you won't need a professional cleaning crew to come get it off your entire neighborhood.

I use the stuff routinely at work (molly base is the worst offender). Small, cheapo brushes are your friend. I also put it in smaller containers that are easier to work with.

I use the stuff routinely at work (molly base is the worst offender). Small, cheapo brushes are your friend. I also put it in smaller containers that are easier to work with.

"Molly base" is this a lube (like Dow MolyKote GN) or something else? I agree; whatever lube is used will be applied with a toothpick in very small quantities.

but it is also quite possibly the messiest compound ever formulated by man. I mean it gets everywhere and it seems like a pin head-sized drop can contaminate an entire blanket.
- and you won't need a professional cleaning crew to come get it off your entire neighborhood.

Anyone that has ever used this product -on purpose- or the accidental touch while working in the shop , had a good laugh over those comments. :wink:
I have learned , a solid ten foot buffer is the best advise after seeing it sitting on a bench or roll cart - or it will end up on you and everything else :rolleyes:

Sounds like anti-seize is not something you want to get on something you are later going to paint or glue. Might not be great on hobby tools.

I posted the question to X-Acto's web site. Here's the reply I got back,

Dear Dan,

Thank you for contacting XACTO.

We can suggest using WD-40, however we do not test directly for a lubricant for the knives, therefore we can not guarantee the outcome. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. We will also be glad to have your comments passed forward for consideration.

If I can be of further assistance, please reply to this email directly so that we can see all previous replies. You may also receive a brief survey on the service you received, once your case has closed.

Sincerely,
Amy
XACTO Consumer Care

I think I'm going to try the anti-seize first.

Back