Klingon D7 Battlecruiser "Vengeance"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crawf56

Pig Soooiiieee!!
Reaction score
I can't help myself. I was planning to start on the Dynasoar Rocketry "Klingon Battlecruiser" after I finished my 1/3 scale Nieuport 28. But I just can't wait!

For you 'kids' out there, the "Klingons" were a fictional race in the original Star Trek television series from the late 1960's. They were a race of warriors, and were the Bad Guys. (They kind of represented the Russians.)

As the Star Trek series progressed, through movies and other TV series (such as the character "Worf" on Star Trek: The Next Generation), the Klingons were there, too. And as our real world relationship with Russia got better, so the Klingons eventually became our allies (albeit rather moody allies).

In the original Star Trek, the Klingon's main ship was the D7 Battlecruiser. Even though it only made a handful of appearances in the original Star Trek (including use by the Romulans), the D7 Battlecruiser became one of the iconic symbols of Star Trek.

Let's build one! :cool: :cool: :cool:

By the way, my avatar is of a foam RC Klingon D7, that has about a 2 foot wingspan.

This was a Cyberplanes kit, that is sadly no longer available. I DID do an online build of this model at RCGroups.com:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sho...kansas-Cyberplanes-kit-Star-Trek#post35133452

Hey, if I build another D7, then I will have two ships, making me a ........................ Klingon Commadore!!! :eyeroll:

Past club president is all into RC boost gliders and just got the Klingon battle cruiser. Looking forward to seeing them perform!

Is anyone else having trouble inserting images?

I am mainly working on another project, but I am still unable to upload pics.

I click on the "Upload Image" button, then choose a file from my computer. Next, I click "Upload Image"............and nothing happens.

I always use the go advanced and manage attachments method. If you want to send them to me I can post them.

Frank

Is anyone else having trouble inserting images?

I am mainly working on another project, but I am still unable to upload pics.

I click on the "Upload Image" button, then choose a file from my computer. Next, I click "Upload Image"............and nothing happens.

Be careful, that when you make the nose, you use the correct strip of foam. One strip is angled, and for the 'neck', or boom, of the fuselage.

m_IMG_2628.jpgm_IMG_2629.jpg

A few thoughts:

Frank at Dynasoar Rocketry has done a really good job with the instructions. And the photos.

One of the aspects of the design that I really like is how the Battlecruiser components 'lock' together, making for a more robust design.

Starting the lamination of the wing. First tracing the outline of the lower foam sheet.

m_IMG_2635.jpg

And marking the side that needs glue.

m_IMG_2640.jpg

OK, since I am using 3M-77 spray adhesive, I am going to spray both foam parts, then press them together.

But I don't want to get the whole underside of the model STICKY. So, I am masking off the area that does not need spray.

m_IMG_2641.jpg

Had to trim the center tape, because it was too wide. Used an xacto knife.

m_IMG_2644.jpg

And all 'masked off', with the aid of cut up folders.

m_IMG_2645.jpg

Since the 3M-77 requires you to "get it right on the first try", I came up with a technique for placing the foam in the right place, then pressing down.

I did this by holding the foam at an angle on its edge to get lined up, then pressing down.

m_IMG_2636.jpg

m_IMG_2639.jpg

Another way to have attached the large foam pieces:
- 30 minute epoxy
- slow CA
- wood glue (?) [I have never tried gluing foam with wood glue.]

Slower glues would give more time to position the foam.

Ever forward! Getting set up to attach the "neck" of the boom. Note the wax paper to prevent me from gluing the model to the table. (As stated in the instructions.)

m_IMG_2646.jpg

All of those options are sub-optimal for weight, and have the downside of making a hard glue spot to try to sand through as you radius the edges, the spray adhesive is the lightest and bestest. I'd worry about using CA in that large an area not setting and or not making full bond the entire area which helps stiffness. The spray isn't that big a deal, you can always trim or sand slight misalignment of edges, just don't drop it accidentally down on the wrong spot...

Another way to have attached the large foam pieces:
- 30 minute epoxy
- slow CA
- wood glue (?) [I have never tried gluing foam with wood glue.]

Slower glues would give more time to position the foam.

I'd also radius the leading edges etc before you glue the neck on as it's harder to do with that in place....

Back