Motor mount alignment

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Normzilla

Reaction score
So I installed a motor mount and after everything was dried, I noticed a sliiiiiiggt (<1mm) crooked-ness..... Is this going to make the rocket fly way off?

Is there a way to correct it?

Thanks

Nate

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Rocketry Forum mobile app

1 mm in how much length? How did you measure it? Is the other end offset also? If so, in the same direction, opposing direction, or some other way?
Without knowing some of those things it’s difficult to be sure, but I doubt it’s a major problem.

1 mm in how much length? How did you measure it? Is the other end offset also? If so, in the same direction, opposing direction, or some other way?
Without knowing some of those things it’s difficult to be sure, but I doubt it’s a major problem.
So looking at what's sticking out the aft of the rocket body, if you're picky, you'd see a little more of the motor on one side vs the other.

The motor mount is installed and glued so I wouldn't be able to tell how much on the forward end is off by.

I really don't know how to explain it....

Pictures maybe?
Or just fly it from a more distant pad the first couple times. I bet it’s fine. If you didn’t notice it beforehand it can’t be too bad.

Steve Shannon

I think the words we need are:
is it out of concentricity? (is the motor mount not concentric with the body tube, but axis of the MMT & BT are parallel to each other?)
Is it out of 'Yaw'? (the MMT axis is not parallel to the axis of the BT?)
Is the MMT further forward or aft of its intended location in the BT? (all other factors being 'within tolerance'.)

Assuming that centering rings are cut right I don't see how it's even possible to install a MMT crooked.

So looking at what's sticking out the aft of the rocket body, if you're picky, you'd see a little more of the motor on one side vs the other.

The motor mount is installed and glued so I wouldn't be able to tell how much on the forward end is off by.

I really don't know how to explain it....

This is where a picture would help. If you’re saying you can see more of the motor sticking out of the motor mount tube looking from one side of the rocket than you can looking from the other side of the rocket that’s sounds like the end of the motor mount tube wasn’t cut square to the axis of the tube.
I don’t know any other way to interpret what you’re saying.

Steve Shannon

Assuming that centering rings are cut right I don't see how it's even possible to install a MMT crooked.
I'm an idiot....

The motor mount wasn't crooked....the body tube was. Forgot to do some minor clean up work. Was excited to get to the build. Stood the build up and noticed it was rocking a bit.

Sanding and yeah, straight as an arrow.

Thanks all for the suggestion, but in the end, it was me.

Nate

Back