Question for LOC Stovi owners

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I built a LOC Stovi about 3-4 months ago with the 24mm motor mount option (instead of the 29mm). The instructions explicitly state that it "is designed for single 24mm or 29mm motor usage only". But on at least one retailer's product description page it states that this "is propelled by a mighty 7x24mm motor cluster". Now, I would NEVER ignore manufacturer's recommendations and build something potentially unsafe. But, I was wondering if anyone has flown this on a 7 motor cluster? How much nose ballast was added? What motors were used? How stable was the flight (slight veer, squirrelly, CATO, etc.). Just curious.

I've flown my Stovi on seven E9's; it was a great flight with no wobbling or other flight deviations! E9's are dense little critters...lots of mass in the rear. I'll have to check but I don't recall adding any nose weight. I did replace the stock cone with a conical nosecone as I just like the look of the straight taper with this design.

My favorite combo isn't the full load, however. A 24-6G G off the pad airstarting E or F outboards with thermalite is my fave...too much fun!!!

Thanks Eric,
I found some older threads where they mention plugged Ds for the outboards and airstarting a composite in the core. Looks like a variety of motors might work. I found a Rocsim file listing the CP point. Will be certain to find the CG with engines loaded and adjust before doing anything crazy. BTW did your kit come with vinyl decals? I was surprised to find vinyl decals included in mine, thought that all LOC kits didn't have them and you had to buy them from the website. Or maybe I got lucky. Cheers.

I fly mine with a D-12-5 in the middle and 6 x D11Ps - I add a little bit of black powder to the d12-5's ejection charge by adding a little less than gram of BP to the top of the casing well and masking taping over it. All the flights I've done this way required no additional nose weight and flew straight as an arrow. Just make sure you get that central motor lit or else it will be your only flight. 8^0

5-3001.jpg

Thanks Duane,

I may plug some D12-0s with epoxy, since D11-Ps are hard to come by: only know of one vendor that has them. Have you tried 7 C-11s? Even if it's only 4-500 ft alt., that'll be OK for our limited launch field. I've lit 7 BP motor clusters before ( Cluster Duck and Hydra 7). Kinda leery about igniting composite motor clusters and air starts - trying to keep it simple. Anyway, much thanks.

Hi ya,

Nope, haven't tried C11s. I bought a stash of D11s when AMW had them for sale as a special order run from Estes.

When I bought my Stovi years ago it was listed as 24 mm only and was advertised as cluster capable.
I have flown mine on 4 D12s with great results.

Thanks guys. If I do fly with a cluster I'll be sure to check for stability first, checking the CP and CG. Appreciate your responses!

Back