DareDevil Air Brake Recovery, Successful Flight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Been building a lot, just not posting much or flying much.
Anyway, I continue to play with Air Brake Recovery (seems to be a type either no one cares about or knows much about, or both!)

Anyway, this is one of my best. I will post the other three, but I like this one best.
I think I will be doing a build thread soon, if there is any interest.DareDevilDeploy2 (2).jpgDareDevilDeploy1 (2).jpgDareDevilPad2 (2).jpgDareDevilPad1 (2).jpg

Got the name from the fishing lure that I stole the paint scheme from

okay I think I fixed the video[video=youtube;VIVklVz0sG8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIVklVz0sG8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Attachments

• DareDevilDeploy1.jpg
    DareDevilDeploy1.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 102
  • DareDevilDeploy2.jpg
    DareDevilDeploy2.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 97
  • DareDevilPad2.jpg
    DareDevilPad2.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 103
  • DareDevilPad1.jpg
    DareDevilPad1.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
This is a "tubeless" Rocket. Two rubber bands function during boost phase to keep the brakes (if this was a heli, they'd be called rotors) in the closed position AND to hold the motor in place. The bands criss-cross right in front of the motor casing. When ejection charge fires, it burns the rubber bands, they break and pull out of the way (and automatically retract, it is a nice trick compared to a burn thread, cuz the elastic holds rotors tight in boost and pulls right out of the way at burn through).

Technically I guess you'd call this motor eject, the reality is that once the brakes deploy, the engine is just left with nothing holding it all.

edited. I must be doing something wrong, the videos are showing up as links rather than embedded.

Back