Dude Perfect Model rocket battle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColumbiaNX01

Red blooded white American male
Reaction score
[video=youtube;WpqUOW19aJQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpqUOW19aJQ[/video]

They are also Aggies from Texas A&M!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pretty Cool.

Last edited:
I was just here to post the same thing, be ready for the safety police to be so mad about this.

I was just here to post the same thing, be ready for the safety police to be so mad about this.

Regardless it was a fun video. Bring on the safety police, the only thing I saw maybe wrong was they caught their own rockets. As far as I could tell they were estes and NCR kits with black powder motors.

There is nothing in the safety code about catching your rocket downrange.

I think we should challenge them to try again. I'll put a 20# M powered flight on the rail.

Regardless it was a fun video. Bring on the safety police, the only thing I saw maybe wrong was they caught their own rockets. As far as I could tell they were estes and NCR kits with black powder motors.

Those look like ~3" Mid-HPR airframes, well constructed, likely by someone else?
- NCR Hobgoblin
- Jayhawk, likely Madcow since it's too big to be AQM
- mini Bumblebee (not PML, but similar?)
- some variation on 2-stage WAC Corporal ?
- NCR Bounty Hunger

There is nothing in the safety code about catching your rocket downrange.

Sure there is, under NAR's HPR safety code, section 13:

• Recovery Safety. I will not attempt to recover my rocket from power lines, tall trees, or other dangerous places, fly it under conditions where it is likely to recover in spectator areas or outside the launch site, nor attempt to catch it as it approaches the ground.

https://www.nar.org/safety-information/high-power-rocket-safety-code/

I think we should challenge them to try again.I'll put a 20# M powered flight on the rail.

Well, stupid can be well illustrated and fun, but it's still stupid.

a

Al's right. No rule against Aggies runnin' around a Texas cow pasture while looking up ! :wink:

HOOK 'UM !

Looks like that Bumble Bee AKA Big Daddy experienced the partial ejection that plagues some flights of that model because of the sloped nose cone shoulder.

The North Coast Bounty Hunter was definitely underpowered. I wonder if it flew on the Estes F15. The F15-4 is listed on the North Coast web page for that model.

I confidently predicted the win for the stager. :) That was a cool flight. Maybe the Apogee Aerodactyl, I think that was an Apogee parachute anyway. [edit] He said it was the Aerodactyl. DOH ! :facepalm:

In my experience the rockets are most at risk when people try to catch them.

Sounded like they added a "jet" sound effect when they launched. Not uncommon for popular channels to add some effects here and there. Good example is that all slo-mo video is silent. Foley is added in post.

Aside from that, it was at least neat to see those guys have so much fun with rockets. Might help expose new people to the hobby as well. Don't worry though, as soon as they come here we'll straighten them out on the no-catching thing.

Sure there is, under NAR's HPR safety code, section 13:

• Recovery Safety. I will not attempt to recover my rocket from power lines, tall trees, or other dangerous places, fly it under conditions where it is likely to recover in spectator areas or outside the launch site, nor attempt to catch it as it approaches the ground.

they are not HPR according to the video title they are model rockets they would then fall under the model rocket safety code. which for recovery safety has no provision about catching them
11. Recovery Safety. I will not attempt to recover my rocket from power lines, tall trees, or other dangerous places.
https://www.nar.org/safety-information/model-rocket-safety-code/

[/LIST]

they are not HPR according to the video title they are model rockets they would then fall under the model rocket safety code. which for recovery safety has no provision about catching them
11. Recovery Safety. I will not attempt to recover my rocket from power lines, tall trees, or other dangerous places.
https://www.nar.org/safety-information/model-rocket-safety-code/

Yes. Well, then it would have been okay if the kid with the stupid hair the yellow shirt had managed to get himself under that lawn dart?

Last edited:
Here is the sad part - these guys are actually doing the one thing way too many of us forget about flying rockets. They are actually having fun (or at least are doing a good job of acting like they are).

I agree. Not sure about everyone else, but I found myself last year mad at performance, items I forgot to take to the range, lost or damaged rockets. A few times I had ZERO fun when I went out. Sometimes you just got to have fun with it all.

Thanks for posting this Andrew. Turns out these boys are right in my neighborhood. I need to get'um to a DARS launch and get them L1 certified. Damn kids have a cool clubhouse and more toys than I may ever have ! :blush:

*WARNING*
Safety police need NOT follow this link: https://dudeperfect.com/about/

Yes. Well, then it would have been okay if the kid with the stupid hair the yellow shirt had managed to get himself under that lawn dart?

I don’t make the rules I just report information. HPR also has a rule governing expected landing area that model rockets do not have. As much as it may sound macabre I would much rather someone doing something stupid get implaled rather than an innocent bystander.

Last edited:
Here is the sad part - these guys are actually doing the one thing way too many of us forget about flying rockets. They are actually having fun (or at least are doing a good job of acting like they are).

your a wise person.

I hope you aren't implying that one cannot have fun doing rocketry without violating the safety code. But likewise, if they enjoy the prospect of stepping in a gopher hole and breaking an ankle or getting impaled by a lawn dart, then more power to 'em!

I hope you aren't implying that one cannot have fun doing rocketry without violating the safety code. But likewise, if they enjoy the prospect of stepping in a gopher hole and breaking an ankle or getting impaled by a lawn dart, then more power to 'em!

Not in the least, just observing that they seem to be having a heck of a good time. I just see and experience folks at rocked launches who are mad, upset, or just plain miserable because their over complicated attempts to forget that they are playing with toy rockets is going wrong. I ama s guilty of this as anyone.

If you check out these guys web site/YouTube channel they seem to get the same level of joy out of all the things they try. Yes some seem a bit dangerous, however in the end they are just having goofy fun. They do one routine with Styrofoam gliders that is truly amazing.

Sometimes I wonder if we scare newcomers away by sitting there scowling at a pile of rocket components that are not working as planned. I can easily imagine some thinking "Why the heck would I want to subject myself to that?"

Not in the least, just observing that they seem to be having a heck of a good time. I just see and experience folks at rocked launches who are mad, upset, or just plain miserable because their over complicated attempts to forget that they are playing with toy rockets is going wrong. I ama s guilty of this as anyone.

If you check out these guys web site/YouTube channel they seem to get the same level of joy out of all the things they try. Yes some seem a bit dangerous, however in the end they are just having goofy fun. They do one routine with Styrofoam gliders that is truly amazing.

Sometimes I wonder if we scare newcomers away by sitting there scowling at a pile of rocket components that are not working as planned. I can easily imagine some thinking "Why the heck would I want to subject myself to that?"

I don't have enough +1's for this.

I was certainly cringing along with the rest of you at their pretty much non-existent approach to safety, and at the guy who was running after the rocket and not looking up, and how their main reaction to his near-death experience was mainly laughter.

But damn, I haven't seen folks having so much fun doing nearly *anything* in quite a while, much less launching rockets. It was really infectious.

Sometimes I think people think that our safety codes have been handed down by the rocket gods. Much of their necessity is to placate the lawyers and insurance folks. Maybe the NAR should ban running on the field.

It all depends on your definition of fun, and your personality type, I guess. I always have fun at launches. There's nowhere else I'd rather be on launch day. Whether I am launching my own, or helping my kids, or helping others, it is fun. I enjoy recovery, even if it is a long walk. It's just nice to be outside and unencumbered by the cares of the world.

But there are times when it is very disappointing, like when my $1000 rocket burned up due to a motor cato because the nozzle was too small and I didn't think to check it. I can't say, "Oh, that's awesome! How fun!" But likewise, it doesn't make me get nasty or mean to others, and I don't quit. I come back next month and try again.

I don't need to run all over the field and try to catch rockets in order to have fun. Maybe if I were 20 I would. But at 51, it is intellectual and social fun.

It all depends on your definition of fun, and your personality type, I guess. I always have fun at launches. There's nowhere else I'd rather be on launch day. Whether I am launching my own, or helping my kids, or helping others, it is fun. I enjoy recovery, even if it is a long walk. It's just nice to be outside and unencumbered by the cares of the world.

But there are times when it is very disappointing, like when my $1000 rocket burned up due to a motor cato because the nozzle was too small and I didn't think to check it. I can't say, "Oh, that's awesome! How fun!" But likewise, it doesn't make me get nasty or mean to others, and I don't quit. I come back next month and try again.

I don't need to run all over the field and try to catch rockets in order to have fun. Maybe if I were 20 I would. But at 51, it is intellectual and social fun.

I think I sprained my ankle slightly just looking at the video.

...stepping in a gopher hole and breaking an ankle [before/in act of/moments after] getting impaled by a lawn dart...

Never mind giving them "likes" or subscribing to their channel -- that's the kind of thing that'd get me to pay for a YouTube Red subscription (sorry -- but Mind Field doesn't have the same appeal as seeing a "dude" execute a surface-to-surface missile attack on himself).

Okay, I wouldn't really pay to see the kid with the Brylcreem helmet-hair get skewered.

Unsubscribing from this thread, so that I can stop getting reminders about these jobbernowls and ninnyhammers.

Not in the least, just observing that they seem to be having a heck of a good time.

Agreed - they are clearly having fun, or faking it extremely well.
But as a parent, my overriding definition of 'fun' is: would I want my kids to have fun with these guys?
The answer is - no freaking way!

I just see and experience folks at rocked launches who are mad, upset, or just plain miserable because their over complicated attempts to forget that they are playing with toy rockets is going wrong. I ama s guilty of this as anyone.

I have to disagree here.
While not a lot of folks attending rocket launches demonstrate youtube-levels of exuberance, I bet you all are there having fun in their own ways. Even if they don't show it. Otherwise, they would not have bothered coming out!

Granted, some get momentarily upset or frustrated over something, but overall, the folks at club rocket launches are far more helpful and willing to help others than at any other hobby in which I remember participating. Ever.

There is zero competitive pressure vs. other rocket hobbyists. You are only competing against your own ambitions, plus time and budget constraints. It really is an extremely family friendly and collaborative environment.

Sadly, that does not translate well to this forum. TFR is far from family friendly (I would not want my kids to hang out here), though helpful in its own ways... if you can handle the usual assortment of internet bullying and ill-tempered ranting.

On this forum - perhaps.
At local club launches - no way. At least no around these parts.

YMMV,
a

I don't think I've ever seen rockets as something purely fun for me personally. Or, perhaps stated a better way, fun has not been the goal of my involvement. I've usually been motivated for a sense of accomplishment and learning something new over sheer joy. In that sense, I think you are spot on with the observation that this approach could be confusing (off-putting?) to newcomers. Oddly enough, I get more joy watching the excitement coming from the elementary school kids during my science day rocketry demonstration than any other launch during the year.

Any launch sequence for me feels like this - excitement, nerves, relief. Add in frustration if something goes awry. When my wife asks how a launch went, I never say that I had fun. I say it went well/poorly and give objective flight analysis. Maybe the closest I get to joy is when I see a rocket land in an open field and I know that I don't have to perform recovery efforts in a swamp (again)!

And to each their own. I found their enthusiasm a bit infectious. Would I run out and catch a rocket, no. Would I allow that activity at one of my club launches, no.

Me personally, I engage in the hobby because I enjoy it and want to have fun doing something outside while being with folks I like being around. Keep in mind that the guys in the video are a bunch of 20+ year old men. We have no clue as to what, if any, precautions they took.

I vote we go find a nice stone altar and sacrifice them to the rocket godz whilst chanting the safety code in Enochian and wearing ink stained pocket protectors lest the public find out that the code was violated and it leads to the end of rocketry as we know it.

[/smart ass comment]

Now that I’m approaching grumpy old man status, I do not approve of these shenanigans. However, watching this video reminds me that this is EXACTLY the kind of jackass idiot stuff I LOVED doing when I was a kid! It’s all fun and games, until someone loses an eye. But then, after the visit to the ER, Ole One Eye and his friends learn a valuable lesson about safetty.

Back