Charging a LiPo without removing it from device

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDB

Absent Minded Professor
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has devised a method to charge a LiPo while still in an AV bay or in some other kind of electronic component--like how you charge any of the products from Jolly Logic without first disconnecting the battery from the device. I'm asking because I want to run my Eggfinder LCD from a LiPo and it might be nice to not have to remove the handle from the BlackAero case each time I want to charge it.

I know that I would have to mount a JST connector and the balance plug to the case somehow. Would I also need to incorporate a switch to separate the battery from the device?

Last edited:
There are some chargers that work entirely from the balance plug. As these are small lipos, the current limitation doing that isn't a big deal. Mine goes to 2A, which is too high for some of the smaller cells. The Eggfinder LCD already has a power switch doesn't it? I would think that would be sufficient isolation. I would be careful not to turn it on while charging, unless you know that the Eggfinder can deal with whatever charge curve the lipos use. I don't remember the voltage/current levels for charging lipos offhand. I know some chemistry types exceed the battery voltage to charge.

If you do it, take the time to inspect the battery once in a while, maybe every couple months, to check for bulging and heat while charging. The little ones like this don't usually do that to me, but it's better to be on the safe side with lipo.

I was wondering if anyone has devised a method to charge a LiPo while still in an AV bay or in some other kind of electronic component--like how you charge any of the products from Jolly Logic without first disconnecting the battery from the device. I'm asking because I want to run my Eggfinder LCD from a LiPo and it might be nice to not have to remove the handle from the BlackAero case each time I want to charge it.

I know that I would have to mount a JST connector and the balance plug to the case somehow. Would I also need to incorporate a switch to separate the battery from the device?

I have been interested in doing the same thing on my end and asked Kyle to look into adding an extra charging port on the case. However as convenient as it would be LiPos are more prone to catching on fire more than most battery chemistries. So if you do go down this road then in a worst case scenario you could lose your Eggfinder LCD when charging.

For a switch you could use a DPDT switch on the JST, so long as it is rated correctly. On the balance you just need to get that jacked to the outside. You could do this by using a native flush mount connector, if you could find one, but I am not sure they exist. If not then just use something that is a 3 wire surface mount connector (properly rated) that you can connect the balance connector to and convert to on the inside of the case. Then on the outside you would use the opposite connector/covert back to your balance charger native connector.

Thanks for the replies. The points about the damage that is possible with LiPos are good. Maybe I should think about a different kind of rechargeable battery for the Eggfinder LCD. Or maybe I could just figure out how to get 4 AA batteries into the BlackAero handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Back