CTI 38 6XL - Normal or not?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryRocket

Reaction score
I’m new to using CTI motors. This is my first flight with this 38mm J530 Imax load and here is the liner post flight. Motor performed great, better than expected really, but curious to know if I was near failure or if this is a normal appearance. I have flow a handful of AT loads and I’ve never seen a liner so melted and cooked looking. Case seems to be fine.

Thanks.

IMG_2891.jpgIMG_2892.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Cool. Thanks. Case looks good as I mentioned but it’s not coming clean all that easy. I soaked it in hot soapy water for 2-3hrs. Any other recommendations?

Easy way is baby wipes while case is still warm... Soak in soapy water should do it, maybe a little scrub sponge. I attached a piece of synthetic steel wool ( grey scotch bright) top a dowel and chucked that in my hand drill for the next day clean up.

Normal and cleaning the case is easy, WD40, spray, soak and wipe and your case is ready to go..

I've had a few where bits of the liner stick to the case. That's a pain, especially if you don't clean it until you get home. I grease the liner with a little Super Lube before inserting it, that helps a lot.

Here is the case (as best I can image it). I’ve tried WD40 and acetone. I just can’t get it off. Feels smooth and I’m sure doesn’t cause problems, but damn, it’s annoying. Any other tips? I have some steel wool that I’ve considered using but not sure. IMG_2921.jpgIMG_2922.jpg

I've soaked in vinegar solution overnight then scrubbed with a long toilet brush and had pretty good success. After a couple like that however I've learned to live with it lol

Sent from my LG-H812 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Back