Coming soon . . .

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan

Reaction score
I'll be doing another build thread soon. This will be a 11.5" diameter 8 ft tall Cowabunga Mammoth. I got the kit from Madcow but I'm still waiting for the motor tube. I also bought some more fiberglass tubes and bulkheads from Performance Rocketry for a chute cannon dual deploy system but I still need to get UpscaleCNC to make me some custom centering rings.

39371350814_0b2efbf71f_o.jpg

Very nice....my crystal ball tells me you may be sick of polishing when this one's finished.:wink:

Good luck ! Have Fun.
Many things to sort out when building the BIG ones.

Edit: this ones begging for a cluster mount.

Last edited:
It comes with a 98mm motor tube but I have a 98-75 adapter and I'll probably fly it on 75mm motors.

Do you ever occasionally worry you'll inadvertently construct a rocket that you can't get out of your living room? :)
I'm pretty sure that my wife wouldn't let me keep rockets in the living room. That is my workshop room over the garage.

But I will have a problem with this rocket. This will be my first rocket that's so big that I can't transport it in my pickup truck with the tonneau cover closed. I don't want to just leave it in the open bed of the truck, especially if I'm staying in a hotel overnight. I have a big 2 axle cargo trailer but until now I've said that if it ever gets to the point that I need to use the trailer to haul my rockets then things are getting totally of of control. So now things are officially totally out of control.

I'm pretty sure that my wife wouldn't let me keep rockets in the living room. That is my workshop room over the garage.

But I will have a problem with this rocket. This will be my first rocket that's so big that I can't transport it in my pickup truck with the tonneau cover closed. I don't want to just leave it in the open bed of the truck, especially if I'm staying in a hotel overnight. I have a big 2 axle cargo trailer but until now I've said that if it ever gets to the point that I need to use the trailer to haul my rockets then things are getting totally of of control. So now things are officially totally out of control.

Sounds like you need a rack for the pickup so you can haul the rockets outside and the rest of the gear under the top. The question is, can you install the rack and still use the cover?

Talk to Ben and Mike about smaller sized trailers....

Big, enclosed trailers were meant for hauling toys, keeping crooks out and every cop from pulling you over when your 20' rocket is out in the open.
I have an enclosed 18.5' trailer. I built a rack for all the rockets, 2 tables on the other side. I do all my work inside, only do final assembly of 6" and bigger outside on a series of sawhorses.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Rocketry Forum mobile app

I see that the Cowabunga Mammoth page has now been removed from the Madcow website. I guess I got the last one. I'll start on it once I finish with my square rocket.

I see that the Cowabunga Mammoth page has now been removed from the Madcow website. I guess I got the last one. I'll start on it once I finish with my square rocket.

Bruno XL and Formula 200 have HUGE price drops. Maybe they are going away, too .... :sad:

There is precedent - don't overthink transportation.. just use the time honoured method:

1398893058001-AP-1963-and-JFK.jpg

I for one am looking forward to the day I have to strap a giant rocket to the roof of the car and drive 70km to the launch site...

There is precedent - don't overthink transportation.. just use the time honoured method:

I for one am looking forward to the day I have to strap a giant rocket to the roof of the car and drive 70km to the launch site...

Somebody came to Airfest last year with maybe a 7.5" strapped to the roof of their minivan. It was glorious.

IMG_2941.jpg

IMG_2939.jpg

IMG_1902.jpg

If it weren't for the X-wing design our big Dragonfly wouldn't fit through a door. To haul it I built a big plywood box. The kids call it the rocket coffin...

That's what I said about my RC planes outgrowing my vehicle. Then they outgrew my vehicle, I started using a trailer, and realized how glorious it was to do so. You'll be fine.

Back