Mix epoxy?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kavel_r

Reaction score
Is it possible to mix two different epoxies - for example, JB-Weld (4-6 hour set time) and JB-Kwikweld (5-6 minute set time) to get an intermediate set time? I just thought of this and was wondering if it would work.

Without it being specifically stated, I'd contact the manufacturer directly. Could do some funky chemical business when mixed.

Hopefully this isn't about bonding motor retainers? You want the regular JB at full strength for that purpose.

Without it being specifically stated, I'd contact the manufacturer directly. Could do some funky chemical business when mixed.

Hopefully this isn't about bonding motor retainers? You want the regular JB at full strength for that purpose.

Thanks for the reply! I guess I'll have to test it on some scrap material and see what happens.
I was thinking of doing this for fin fillets so I'd have slightly more time to work than with JB-Kwik but not have to wait so long for JB-Weld.

Its not usually recommended to mix epoxies especially given that one is a slow set and one is a quick setting. The chemical makeups of the two epoxies may not be compatible hence Nytrunners chemical funkiness statement, they may cure or they may never cure. You could test the two on your own, but you have no way of validating what changes it makes to the bond strength of the combined epoxy.

You can get 30 minute epoxy from local hobby shops or even possibly Hobby Lobby, mixed with wood flour, cabosil/fumed silica, or microballoons it makes a good fillet epoxy for rockets.

(tangent question)
What type of rocket airframe/fin materials is it?

JB weld may be what you have on hand, but it's a pretty heavy adhesive (steel powder!) and there are likely other products at hand that would do just as good a job for your fins.

Thanks for the info. I'll do some research into 30 minute epoxies.

(tangent question)
What type of rocket airframe/fin materials is it?

JB weld may be what you have on hand, but it's a pretty heavy adhesive (steel powder!) and there are likely other products at hand that would do just as good a job for your fins.

I'm building a Madcow 4" Patriot that I'll be doing my Jr. Level 1 on. I for sure want to use JB-weld for critical parts like the motor mount, but I may use something else for the fins.

Bob Smith is a common hobby brand, Red Baron may be another one (not sure if its still around or was re-branded Bob Smith). Many hobby shops sell Bob Smith epoxy and CA under a house label, I have the 5 and 15 minute sitting on my work bench now and its labelled Hobby Town but on the back it says www.bsi-inc.com

Bob Smith is a common hobby brand, Red Baron may be another one (not sure if its still around or was re-branded Bob Smith). Many hobby shops sell Bob Smith epoxy and CA under a house label, I have the 5 and 15 minute sitting on my work bench now and its labelled Hobby Town but on the back it says www.bsi-inc.com

How viscous is it compared to JB? I've only used JB-Weld and Kwikweld in the past, but I think something that flows easier might be useful for fin fillets.

Never used the 15. Generally, the longer the cure time, the stronger the cured bond strength.
That being said, Unless you're planning to fly transonic or beyond, any of them will work.

I use 5 and 30. I did my L1 rocket with 5min before I read anything about Hi-power construction techniques, and it's still trucking. 5 requires lots of small batches, but it stays where you put it! lol

I only use JB Weld when one or more parts involved is metal.

How viscous is it compared to JB? I've only used JB-Weld and Kwikweld in the past, but I think something that flows easier might be useful for fin fillets.
JB is a paste, the BSI epoxies are like honey, and will require thickening with the previously mention cabosil, wood flour, micro ballons or talcum powder ( some baby powders are talcum, just make sure and read the ingredients, cornstarch baby powder will not work). Thicken to the consistency of peanut butter.

JB is a paste, the BSI epoxies are like honey, and will require thickening with the previously mention cabosil, wood flour, micro ballons or talcum powder ( some baby powders are talcum, just make sure and read the ingredients, cornstarch baby powder will not work). Thicken to the consistency of peanut butter.
Is thickening required or can it be used as is?

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Back