Nose clay question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lugnut56

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
After putting in nose cone clay, I usually put in a small amount of TBII glue and roll the nose cone around so it forms a layer attaching the clay to the nose cone. I started doing this due the clay seeming to want to come loose on one of my earlier builds, and I was concerned the clay would fall to the back of the cone on launch. I have not seen any mention of this on some of the LPR builds I have read on here. Is this necessary or I am just overly concerned?

Well, I have some models built nearly 30 years ago with the plasticine clay that Estes includes in the kits its needed for and the stuff is still exactly where I put it. No glue or anything else, TBII doesn't stick well to plastic anyways.
Usually I wash my nosecones and rough up the surface a little then use a strong stick to firmly push the clay into the nose.

When I just don't have a good feeling about the clay staying there, I will insert a tissue or piece of paper towel on top of the clay. I then add a few drops of thin CA. The paper wad then dries to form a hard lattice that prevents the clay from moving around even if it did come loose. If you choose to try it, watch out for the fumes coming out of the nosecone....

That being said I have never had a clay weight come loose, I'm just paranoid...

I know that on some mid power kits the manufacturer's instructions recommend doing just what you are doing. They say also that epoxy and wood glue do not adhere well to some plastics, like polyethylene. One kit I was building actually recommended that after pouring in epoxy and lead shot and curing, to drill two holes and insert two wood screws to lock in the weight, then grind off the heads flush with the nose cone! Seems like overkill, most mid power builders are now using expanding polyurethane foam to lock in their nose weights: faster and easier, but messy if you are not careful. For low power, the lower thrust probably means you are OK with just tamping. Myself, I like to err on the side of caution, so I put in a shot of wood glue for LPR, and fill the nose cone with PU foam for MPR. Also, if you are using real clay instead of plasticine, it will shrink and crack over time. Wood glue would be a necessity in this case (like the TLP kits).

Two things to consider as options. I flew a kit one time with clay nose weight and it actually crashed because the weight came loose. Now I use BB's and epoxy or you can just pour some epoxy over the top of the clay after you push it down. This way you are assuring yourself it won't move on you. Good luck

I use water activated polyurethane glue - Gorilla Glue in other words - to make sure nose weight stays in place. Just don’t use more than a thin layer since water makes it foam up and expand.

Thanks everybody for your input. I really enjoy reading (and learning) from the varied responses to questions posted on TRF. :)

Back