Want to Hire Someone to Create a Rocksim File

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowga

A.K.A. 'Mr. HoJo'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for someone who is proficient with building rocksim files of models to help create a file for me. It's not a complex rocket but I don't have the time to create the rocket myself right now. I can pay using PayPal, and could do 1/2 up front, and another 1/2 when the file is completed and delivered.

Trying to make a launch schedule, and need to run sims--but don't have a lot of time. Fast turnaround would be important. PM me to discuss if you're interested. Thanks.

I don't do RocSim... I do OR... PM me if that'll help. However, I'll be tied up for the next couple of days (I've got to teach this weekend).

Hello,

I decided to forgo compensation. I had a file for the fin can so it was about 10 minutes in total to create.View attachment Transonic2.rkt

As the OP mentioned, he is not very handy with Rocksim. I might be able to assist. Some might remember when Rocketry Planet existed, and that I was a Moderator there. I spent a lot of time assisting people with Rocksim- I was essentially the resident simulation guy. I also was a beta tested for RS 8 and 9. Anyway, I had started working on some Rocksim education stuff, and came up with three videos before stopping. The username and password are both guest:

https://www.rocketryfiles.com/?p=home&d=FlightSimulation/Rocksim/MarksRocksimVideos/

Glad you were able to get it done... I'm still tied up with work, and will be a bit more than I had expected.

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

The best thing about this hobby is how willing other flyers are to share knowledge, experience, parts, etc. Thank you Mark for creating this Rocksim file, and especially for sharing the link to the training files. "Teach a man to fish" and all that. I have so much to learn in every area of this hobby.

Thanks also to Ken, Alan, and others who also generously offered to help out.

I'll let you know how the build, and maiden flight goes.

Hello,

I decided to forgo compensation. I had a file for the fin can so it was about 10 minutes in total to create.View attachment 337663

As the OP mentioned, he is not very handy with Rocksim. I might be able to assist. Some might remember when Rocketry Planet existed, and that I was a Moderator there. I spent a lot of time assisting people with Rocksim- I was essentially the resident simulation guy. I also was a beta tested for RS 8 and 9. Anyway, I had started working on some Rocksim education stuff, and came up with three videos before stopping. The username and password are both guest:

https://www.rocketryfiles.com/?p=home&d=FlightSimulation/Rocksim/MarksRocksimVideos/

Dang! That is right mighty nice of you Mark! :w: (Being sincere here, not facetious or sarcastic) Never ceases to amaze me how much help can be had here. Again kudos to you my friend. Kurt

Thank you all.

I am rather experienced with Rocksim. If there are particular questions people have shoot me a PM, and I will see if I can assist.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Thank you all.

I am rather experienced with Rocksim. If there are particular questions people have shoot me a PM, and I will see if I can assist.

Mark -

I too use to be a member on Rocketry Planet...great site! I have a RS question, but need some clarification if you can help?

What does the "MASS Over ride" tab mean? I'm assuming that it means to use the values listed below, I noticed when I uncheck it, the values change slightly.

On the attached file for a Snarky I am modifying with the box checked it comes in @ 6.3140 oz unchecked it comes it @ 6.6674 oz

Which way is more accurate and when would you want to use it? I'm upgrading the kit with basswood parts, so would this explain the difference? I'm assuming that the manufacturer estimated the kit would come in at a specific weight (6.3140oz) which is way the box was checked. Stating to use the values listed. Am I close?

See attached file. View attachment DynaStar_Snarky_Modified.RKTView attachment DynaStar_Snarky_Modified.RKT

Thanks!

Your assumption is correct as I understand it. I believe you can do overrides for individual parts and the rocket as a whole.

My methodology usually does not use the overrides. In your case, I would weigh your replacement parts then change the materials using the materials tab. Compare the calculated mass to your measured mass. If it is close I would not mess further.

The above said, I measure and weigh all materials before assembly. I weigh the epoxy I apply. I even add new materials to the data base. An example would be a new fiberglass tube. I weigh the tube and compare it to the calculated mass. If it is off, I calculate the material density and add it to the database. So, I have 3 different g10/g12 tube densities in my database. That covers most things now.

I design iteratively, starting with whatever material is closest to what I think the actual will be. I adjust as I go and in the end, plug actual mass and CG for the whole rocket. This will not work as well for huge rockets. :cyclops:

Yeah,
Garbage in, garbage out. If one measures every part that will likely give the absolute best prediction. Although I must admit, I've just done a mass over ride, plugged in the
CG and Rocksim comes within 3% of what the MAWD says after the rocket was flown. Must've had an Aerotech motor that day that cancelled out all my errors!!
Kurt

Could you just weigh the finished rocket and plug it in and from there add the ballast to get the proper CG and CP?

Then again on that thought, doesn't RS calculate all of this for you minus the other materials such as paint, fillers and epoxy, which as Mark stated you can add if you have the proper measurements.

Rocksim will calculate this for you based on the material selected. It is also dependent on the material selected having a density close to the actual material.

I prefer to do the design using what I think it will be. Then adjust as I have the real parts.

That said, building and then adjusting the overall mass and Cg is valid. I do this with rockets I do not build.

I feel like a real slacker. I just build the rocket in RockSim using materials from the database that match what I’m building then override the CG and mass for the entire rocket. The only advantage I can think of for weighing individual parts is a closer estimation of moment of inertia which doesn’t do much for most of our simulations.

I feel like a real slacker. I just build the rocket in RockSim using materials from the database that match what I’m building then override the CG and mass for the entire rocket. The only advantage I can think of for weighing individual parts is a closer estimation of moment of inertia which doesn’t do much for most of our simulations.

Exactly, and ditto. That's how I play it. Remember too that simulations are a tool that gets you and keeps you thinking. There are more ways than one to use most tools. If it gets the result you want and/or has helped with your understanding then your use of the tool has been validated.

Now, where are my pliers? I have a screw to get out...

To each their own. I like my sims to be as close is possible under most circumstances. That way if I am designing something kind of high performance/ on the edge I have the best representation I can to make sure it will work.

As a side comment to that. I like playing with sims. I live in Wisconsin, and several months of the year are not great for flying rockets.

Well, if you over ride the whole rocket with actuals, the sim results won't know that you cheated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

I agree with you for sure. I enjoy messing with sims. I like to design stuff- call in engineer brain. I have designs for stuff I will never build- things I cannot afford to build, cannot afford to fly, or do not have a place to fly it ( heading to Black Rock is not a practical option for all of us).

I agree with you for sure. I enjoy messing with sims. I like to design stuff- call in engineer brain. I have designs for stuff I will never build- things I cannot afford to build, cannot afford to fly, or do not have a place to fly it ( heading to Black Rock is not a practical option for all of us).

My engineers brain has atrophied and has been replaced by lazy brain. Unless it is a design whose stability worries me, I usually don't even add centering rings or shock cords. I scoff at the connection hardware. I hope the next revision of Rocksim has an option to automatically add motor mounts and chutes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Back