New guy just saying "Hi"...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All;

I'm Neil. I was around model rocketry when I was much younger and now that I'm retired I'm thinking of getting involved again. I used to be a member of the Canadian Rocketry Society 'way back in >mumblemumbemumble< and would like to know if there are any other former CRS members lurking about here. Remember Hillel and Tova Diamond? Saverio Prato? Kit Balmer? The Science Shop (my home away from home when I was a teen)? The T.R.R.M.'s? I've some great memories of those folks and those times.

My first kit was an Estes Alpha III, and I dabbled with a few homemade designs including an egg lofter, a boost glider (that treated me to a spectacular Czechoslovakian striptease on its first - and only - launch), and one very slick, little B/C-engine payload lofter that performed quite well but I eventually lost when the wind caught it.

I'm thinking of re-starting my hobby with an Estes Big Daddy, chiefly because I like the look of it, or another Alpha III for old time's sake (and the fact that it's in a bright orange now; one of my favourite colours). I'd also like to eventually build a Little Joe II but just for display; it's a rocket I've long been a fan of and always wanted a model of and after seeing George Gassaway's gorgeous rendition of it, I'd like one for my mantle.

Anyways, that's a bit about me.

Good flying,

N.

Welcome back! My first rocket was also an Alpha III, in the old red, white, and black livery. I'm not a fan of the newer orange and black, but have built a couple of upscales in the old colors. There have been a lot of changes in rocketry over the years, and I'm having more fun that ever!

IMGP2868.JPG

IMGP2883.JPG

Welcome! This forum could always use a few more Neils.

Someone say something about the orange and black Alpha III?

That's neither me nor my rocket, but it is a nice big ol' Alpha III. Not the pic I was looking for but good enough for now.

Welcome! I'm not in Canada (nor the US for that matter)(I'm currently living and working in Yantai (Shandong Province, PRC)), so I can't help you with those questions. However, I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

For the Big Daddy, I can point you to my .ork files thread, and highly caution you to look into modifying that nosecone to prevent lawn darts, of which the BD seems to be so fond of.

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

Sav is still very much in the hobby. You will find him over at CRC, Cambridge Rocketry Club. CRC is a LPR/MPR club that flies primarily out of a field in Guelph. Although we have a second site closer to Kitchener and an upcoming launch from that site, weather permitting, on Feb 10th.

Where are you located?

https://cambridgerocketclub.org/

I'm up in Kincardine which is on the shore of Lake Huron about 80 kms SSW of Owen Sound. Glad to hear Sav's still busy; haven't seen him in a long time.

N.

Please look us up and join us for a launch. Lots of old stories to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Back