A Printer who makes Water-Slide Decals?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowga

A.K.A. 'Mr. HoJo'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'd love to add decals to my 54mm Transonic II, but don't really want to do stickers. Does anyone print custom water-slide decals? I've tried the paper that works with ink-jet printers, but the results were "mixed" at best.
Any thoughts?

I'm not sure what's being asked, as the decal paper I've used has worked reliably(decalpaper.com), but the inability to print white is an issue. If lack of white is an issue, you'll need a service with Alps-type printing as Rich states. If it's about other struggles (wrinkling, bleeding) I and others might be able to help with some pointers that may help. Not familiar with that particular build, so if it's obvious to others that I'm missing the mark...well, that's kinda my thing.

There are many services that will print custom waterslide decals. At small volumes, they all use ALPS printers. Cost tends to be high for custom one-off runs. If vinyl would work for you, Mark Hayes at Stickershock23 does great work, and if you're willing to do the work up front to prepare the artwork and have it ready to print, the cost is very reasonable. I have yet to mess with custom decals, but I've had Mark do custom vinyl (some cut, some printed) for me for 4 rockets so far and all have turned out great.

I've found the key to inkjet water slide decals is the clear coat you spray on after. That is what protects the decal and ink from the water when you apply it. I've had good luck with Rustoleum Clear Coat. Just don't go too thick and make sure it's dry.

Back