More reliable - E9 or E12?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Switch to better than Estes motors. Aerotech, CTI both blow the hell out of Estes.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I'm a big composite fan too, but E9s are perfect core motors for my BT-60 parallel stager as well as great upper stage motors for my gap staged Arcas. I'll be pretty disappointed if they don't make them anymore... I only have one left, and it's reserved for NSL.

On my Galaxy S7 the pictures are clear and the resolution is good even when zooming in. It isn't perfect though. Charts, graphs and such maintain their clarity, photos get a little grainy when you really zoom in.

For $9.99, I think it is worth it to have the book in your pocket for quick access.

Lovely. So what does one who just got into the hobby and doesn't fully understand the motor designations do for engines for the rockets that specify these engines and no other options?

First thing is to do some research to really understand what the motor designations mean - and what the designations omit such as the actual total impulse, the maximum thrust and burn time. These numbers are readily available from
NAR with a quick search. It’s a critical skill to be able to choose a motor. There are lots of options out there besides Estes motors that are likely to work for you. I suggest grabbing a copy of open rocket and play with different motor configurations to ensure the model is stable and the expected altitude is ok for your field, that the speed at deployment isn’t excessive (close to zero), and the speed off the rod is acceptable. Virtual launches are less exciting, but they’re completely free and far less prone to destroying a nice model when you make the wrong choice. This also lets you get a really good feel/sense for how different motors will affect the flight. Open rocket files for most mid power commercial kits are out there but all you really need is the basic design and the weight for motor selection.

Generally, Estes motors are heavy so they can be substituted safely (ie: without moving the center of gravity of your rocket aft which will reduce the stability) for a similarly sized composite motor - which will be lighter. Indeed, the e9, f15 and e16 are so heavy and relatively wimpy (low thrust, long burn) that there’s not a lot I fly them in. Composite motors can have considerably higher peak thrust which needs to be considered for lightly built models.

Aerotech makes several disposable 24mm composite E and F class motors (several of which Estes rebadges - or used to) - many of which will likely make good substitutes for 24 or 29mm Estes black powder motors.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Stock up on C11s if you want those motors (Hint, hint). :wink:
I hope you're not playing a cruel joke on us Bob! I see C11-3 listed as discontinued a few places, but not others. I'd miss C11-0 in particular.

I hope you're not playing a cruel joke on us Bob! I see C11-3 listed as discontinued a few places, but not others. I'd miss C11-0 in particular.

Sadly, it is true. :(

It was confirmed by someone inside Estes.
Low sales volume.

Back