Cloverfield Fans...Get in Here!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRAGON64

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:
I saw 10 Cloverfield Lane a few months ago and thought it was the dumbest movie I'd ever seen. Reading about it before hand I'd heard good things about it and afterwards I had to check and make sure it was the same movie I saw. Apparently there are huge fans of it and another sort of related movie.

What am I missing?

Loved the original Cloverfield though I could do without the shake-o-vision. Thought it was a well done take on the monster epic. Was hoping for a real sequel with the same sort of monsters.

Cloverfield Lane was very different and didn't like it nearly as much, but found it "ok, with a hokey ending."

Not sure what to expect for the next one (God Particle based?).

10 Cloverfield Lane was an after thought. JJ brought it into the fold, and changed the ending to bring it into the Cloververse... making it very very loosely related to the original movie. Cloverfield Station may tie 10 in closer to the franchise. To further confuse things, Overlord is a prequel set in WWII...

So there are not a lot of fans here on TRF... thats cool! Lets continue here; the latest discussion from screen rant is interesting:

https://screenrant.com/cloverfield-3-movie-2018-trailer-release-date-news/

Some don't know it, but all of the main characters from the original Cloverfield all had fake MySpace pages created... those pages all quit updating when the movie premiered. Viral marketing to generate interest in the movie back then was genius. It is nice to see that the viral marketing has started again. Not sure yet what this newly created website has to do with Cloverfield, but is is confirmed as part of the viral campaign:

https://04182028.com/

Some don't know it, but all of the main characters from the original Cloverfield all had fake MySpace pages created... those pages all quit updating when the movie premiered.
https://04182028.com/

Of course the pages stopped updating. Those characters pretty much all died, whether eaten by the monster, crushed by debris, bitten by the little things then exploded, or nuked at the end... I presume MySpace locked the pages of the deceased.

:grin: :wink:

My point exactly, the all part of the viral marketing, and all part of alternate reality gaming (ARG)

Here is a pretty good fan story for the first movie that incorporated a lot of the viral marketing 10-years ago:

[video=youtube;IV4_IouOI5k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV4_IouOI5k[/video]

And he does a pretty good job of tying in 10 Cloverfield Lane in his next video:

[video=youtube;GDWJa2RqUGo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDWJa2RqUGo[/video]

The Cloverfield Paradox shows tonight on Netflix after the superbowl:

[video=youtube;xOVAA6PWc8E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOVAA6PWc8E[/video]

Overall disappointing movie. And, yes, the last few seconds are odd.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

I'll offer a different opinion / perspective.

First, I understand that the movie wasn't written for Cloverfield, and was basically rescued / rebadged, and tied into the Cloververse, just like 10 Cloverfield Lane. Got it. I just watched the show and basically want that two hours or whatever of my life back.

But, I LOVED the last 10 seconds.

After the original Cloverfield movie, much was made of the splashdown seen at 1:13:22 in the movie. This is footage taken pre-monster. In fact there was discussion about it here on the forum years ago. Here are some stills:

"something" enters the frame on the right:

pre-splash.jpg

and splashes down:

splash.jpg

It's not remarkable and the guy shooting video doesn't notice; it's like an Easter egg in the film in that is isn't part of the story. But the fans who analyzed the movie pretty much frame by frame found it and obsessed over what it was. Could it have been a monster egg, or monster-spawning ship, or so on?

In Paradox, the escape/return pod from the station is set to splashdown off the Delaware coast. It's pretty clear they are trying to say that the splashdown event we saw in Cloverfield relates to the descending return pod, albeit in a reality-mixed-up way, since there's a big monster entering the scene just as the pod descends through the clouds. It's not clear how they will work it out, but I'm sure they are related.

It will be interesting to see how this is reconciled. I'm going to google a bit and see what the Clover-fan-verse is saying about it.

In the movie they hypothesize two realities, the one we start in, and the one where the astronaut lady (Jensen) becomes stuck in their time, in the wall of the Sheppard. In Jensen's timeline, the Sheppard crashes back to earth, splashing down in the ocean... My son believes that is what is pictured in the original movie ending "easter egg".

In the movie they hypothesize two realities, the one we start in, and the one where the astronaut lady (Jensen) becomes stuck in their time, in the wall of the Sheppard. In Jensen's timeline, the Sheppard crashes back to earth, splashing down in the ocean... My son believes that is what is pictured in the original movie ending "easter egg".
Could be. It looked like a lot of the Sheppard came down intact more or less from the news footage. We can avoid picking that apart as it's not the most fanciful part of the movie. :Wink: however it seemed a bit big for the small -seeming item splashing down in the Easter egg.

Lots of speculation. Of course that is the point of all this... To get people talking and raising the buzz factor.

I thought the original Cloverfield was a great concept poorly executed. The acting just wasn't good enough to make me believe that this was found footage. The lighting was too good. The actors seemed like caricatures. I just never believed it.

As a counterexample, I was totally sucked in by The Blair Witch Project. To date, that is the best "found footage" movie I have ever seen.

10 Cloverfield Lane was interesting to me. Didn't like the ending. I expected something more, and I think it would have worked if they had not tried to tie it to Cloverfield but had come up with a different ending. However, I liked how you were never quite sure what to believe. I mean, John Goodman's character was obviously a nut. But that doesn't mean he was wrong ....

No interest in seeing future Cloverfield movies, unless they are on TV and I have nothing else to do.

Back