Is the Estes F15 an endangered species?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Blatz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Forgive me, I can't seem to find the thread where I got this notion, but does anyone really know if Estes is going to get rid of the F15?

I sure doubt it, but there's a lot of chatter...

Charlie Savoie said it on The Rocketry Show podcast, headlined as "gossip". It is unconfirmed. It is nothing more than a rumor, and furthermore, a rumor from an Estes competitor.

Honestly, now that I think about it some more, they should have edited this out of the podcast unless they got some statement from Estes first.

Last edited:
Considering Estes just came out with a updated version of the Super Big Bertha that uses the F motor, I doubt they are discontinued. The only problem would be if the Hobbico bankruptcy affected that, and I doubt it. Charlie should have never talked unconfirmed gossip about another company, it is a very bad business practice to do so.

As i speculated in the other thread, perhaps he was trying to say that Estes was discontinuing 29mm COMPOSITE motors, and not 29mm BLACK POWDER motors.

It may have been a verbal oops.

Considering Estes just came out with a updated version of the Super Big Bertha that uses the F motor, I doubt they are discontinued. The only problem would be if the Hobbico bankruptcy affected that, and I doubt it. Charlie should have never talked unconfirmed gossip about another company, it is a very bad business practice to do so.

As i speculated in the other thread, perhaps he was trying to say that Estes was discontinuing 29mm COMPOSITE motors, and not 29mm BLACK POWDER motors.

It may have been a verbal oops.

no, he was definitely talking about the black powder motors. He asked "Have you guys had any trouble getting black powder motors?" Then he said, "you know Great Planes declared bankruptcy, and Great Planes owns Estes, so Estes is obviously gonna suffer from that. And they're discontinuing their 29mm E and F, I think F...15??" Then he said they (AT/Quest) were positioning themselves to ship thousands and thousands of motors. But then he said he hadn't heard of any shortages, but was hearing about their unreliability (though I haven't seen but one or two 29mm motors blow-- the 24mm motors are a different story!).

So, yea, I wasn't impressed with *him* spreading the rumor. If he wants to comment when someone else brings it up, that's a little different, though as the main guy, he should have been more circumspect.

It still seems like a good time to pick up a few packs, just in case. These are great motors, and I'd sure miss them if they go OOP. Especially for designs like the Star Orbiter.

I talked to someone at Estes, and was told that the rumor was news to them. And that they were still filling orders from them. However, they did mention that there was something about there being not many distributers of them or something. Perhaps it's because people are going to the wrong suppliers that they are hard to find.

Anyone have a list of sites to buy motors, it seems many sites have listings but show as out of stock. I have been out of the hobby for 40 yrs.

I've always ordered BP 29mm motors from Discount Rocketry. They are showing all in stock. In the past they have gotten motors from other sources if they were out of the ones I ordered. I've gotten phone calls from them if there was a problem or question on my order. Excellent customer service.

I sure hope not...I just finished a Dynastar Aerodactyl two stager...recommended motors are Estes F15 and E16s....gap staged so I have to use 29mm BP motors.
Apogee shows out of stock.....looking for some for this month's club launch.

I had an email conversation with Ruby at Discount Rocketry, they are out of F15's and she doesn't expect any more any time soon, due to the Estes ownership question. I did a road trip around Phoenix and found several packages of them at some of the Hobby Lobby stores. My two stage Majestic has fuel for a few more flights, but then what?

Worst case scenario, you would have to use composite motors, and rig the second stage for electronic ignition. So there's the expense of the electronics plus the time and labor in retrofitting everything. But let's hope it doesn't come to that. No need to worry about what MIGHT happen. Let's wait and see what happens.

I had an email conversation with Ruby at Discount Rocketry, they are out of F15's and she doesn't expect any more any time soon, due to the Estes ownership question. I did a road trip around Phoenix and found several packages of them at some of the Hobby Lobby stores. My two stage Majestic has fuel for a few more flights, but then what?

I've been raiding my local Hobby Lobby stores too. Really, all you can do is stock up and hope for the best. At least you can fly it single stage on composites from Aerotech.

Worst case scenario, you would have to use composite motors, and rig the second stage for electronic ignition. So there's the expense of the electronics plus the time and labor in retrofitting everything. But let's hope it doesn't come to that. No need to worry about what MIGHT happen. Let's wait and see what happens.

Already in progress, I have an RRC-3 in the N/C of another Majestic, just having a bit of trouble connecting the airstart igniter down through a tube, past the retainer, past the main burrito and other recovery stuff, in a manner that will still release when the N/C separates. I must be fixated on these Majestics, I have built four of them and have a couple more stashed away in the build pile. If you have ever seen one lift as a two stage on the F15, it truly does justify the name. Just make sure you fly it off a 6 ft. rod if there is ANY wind. Ask me how I know....
:y:

I've been raiding my local Hobby Lobby stores too. Really, all you can do is stock up and hope for the best. At least you can fly it single stage on composites from Aerotech.

That's what Ruby is recommending, the F44 and F67 are more than adequate for a single stage flight.

They're currently out of F15-0s. I monitored the site until they showed as in stock. Only got 9 packs (tried to order 20 packs), cleaned them out last month, still show out of stock. They show F15-4 and 6 in stock.

AC Supply is a one-stop shop for all things Estes. HAZMAT applies to F15s, though.

Back