Reducing CTI PRO-29 BP ejection charge?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryRocket

Reaction score
I have a simple motor ejection rocket that will fly on CTI 29mm reloads. Their instructions indicate each charge is 1.2g BP. This rocket is 2.1" PML phenolic tubing with a piston system. The length to be pressurized is only 18" long. PML suggests somewhere around 0.6g as to not damage the piston and have too violent of an ejection. Can the cap be pulled back and some of the BP removed? Would it be best to scrape out x mass of BP or to remove it all and then just add back the desired quantity? Or...Just go with it as is?? I know I only use 1g on my charges in a larger rocket and that blow off the nose cone with 2 shear pins.

Thoughts?

Just remove the cap. Empty all the ejection charge out. Measure the .6g you need and pour that back in. Reinstall disk and masking tape it down.

Absolutely remove some powder. I have a PML Callisto with the piston system. I use 0.5g of powder for that rocket. I had a modified nosecone with an altimeter that go damaged when I used the 0.75 in a Hobbyline reload. 1.2g will be way too much with the piston system.

Back