What is Quest's future?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNmike

Reaction score
I was just wondering what the future of Quest is. Since they are under the umbrella of Aerotech I figured I would see some movement with that company, however, they seem to be on cruise control. Not meaning to be derogatory just giving my observation. For example, I don't find their website to be what it needs to be, and thought it would have been upgraded by now. I ordered some parts from them a few days ago and I'm wondering if they are ever going to get here, but it seems the problem is mostly with the USPS. Anyway, what are your thoughts or information you could share?

Listen to the most recent episode of The Rocketry Show Podcast: https://www.therocketryshow.com/ I just did about an hour ago. The guest is Charlie Savoie of Aerotech and they talk about Quest in the latter half of the interview. Timely. :D

Well, according to Charles Savoie, in the latest Rockery Show Podcast, they just completed an inventory of what they have, and found a lot of things that are missing a part or two, and could be put back into production, around the 12:15 mark. The Quest Icarus was specifically mentioned as one of the first possible bring backs (closer to the 13:30 mark).

(Thanks K'Tesh....I just came back to the thread realizing I left a teaser but absolutely no info, nor did I put in a timestamp!)

The main issue is motors.
Motors are the moneymakers.

Quest has not had a reliable source of motors for several years.

That should be changing soon. It took much longer than expected.

Looking forward to trying some of these small composites.

I was just wondering what the future of Quest is. Since they are under the umbrella of Aerotech I figured I would see some movement with that company, however, they seem to be on cruise control. Not meaning to be derogatory just giving my observation. For example, I don't find their website to be what it needs to be, and thought it would have been upgraded by now. I ordered some parts from them a few days ago and I'm wondering if they are ever going to get here, but it seems the problem is mostly with the USPS. Anyway, what are your thoughts or information you could share?

Their website was just revamped around Oct. 2016. I agree that new kits are sorely lacking. Waiting for their new composite 18mm motors. My understanding is that they underwent initial certification but the engine casing supplier backed out, so that they had to find a new supplier and undergo new certification procedures all over again. They have a lot of time and money invested in this, so I believe they are committed to seeing it through. Plus their parent company has "deeper pockets" than they do. With domestically produced engines they will hopefully get back up to full speed again. Fingers crossed. (BTW their MLAS kit flies great on a composite 18 mm D engine).

And I hope the new motors have a cool igniter that will work in BP motor clusters (like the Q2G2 original formula).

A few months back I enquired of Quest concerning a 30mm fin can they sell. They don't have a picture of it on their website, so I ask if they could send me a picture of one. They said they would get one out of stock and take a picture of it for me; they didn't. I'm not fond of their website, but just adding missing pictures of their products would go a long way.

On another note, I do like how they size their body tubes in 5mm increments, so simple compared to the cryptic BT-xx series.

Product test results: I flew a pre-production Quest B4-4 at MDRA Red Glare launch, 4/14/2018 in Centerville MD. Rocket was a stock Estes Alpha with Balsa fins. performance was impressive, motor was very quiet with medium grey smoke. It landed almost 1/2 mile away...my legs hurt now. Igniter has nice long leads to keep the clips clean! Ignition was fast. Cant wait for the 'D' motors...

Product test results: I flew a pre-production Quest B4-4 at MDRA Red Glare launch, 4/14/2018 in Centerville MD. Rocket was a stock Estes Alpha with Balsa fins. performance was impressive, motor was very quiet with medium grey smoke. It landed almost 1/2 mile away...my legs hurt now. Igniter has nice long leads to keep the clips clean! Ignition was fast. Cant wait for the 'D' motors...

That's quite a contrast to the Quest BP motors, which are noticeably louder than Estes motors of the same ratings.

Am looking forward to them all, but especially the Cs and Ds.

I just worked on a sim of the B4-4 motor and got the graphics for the A3-6. However, I'm sick, and surprised (and I shouldn't be) by a "You have to come into work at 10am" message that was relayed to me at 8:30am. Expect the sim to be uploaded sometime after I get done with that.

boredandplayingwithmaya.png
I haven't heard anything from Quest about my Q-jet order. Is there an official announcement someplace that I did not think to look?

Back