PSII Parts bash / scratch build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Greene

Reaction score
So I started and deleted a thread a little while back and wanted to explain why. I was in the process of pretty much copying a M/C 2.6 AGM Pike 33 - except I wanted mine to be 29mm vs 38,
and not a glass kit. I soon found that didn't exist, well at least not the way I wanted it. :wink: So during one of those mindsim drifts- it occurred to me, I could probably use some old stock PSII parts and come pretty darn close. I started posting some of the build early on, but deleted them because frankly I wanted to make sure it actually worked before I led someone down the wrong path- if that makes sense.:facepalm:

At any rate , I got it pretty much finished up tonight - with the exception of the rail guides / chute install and motor retainer - and I think it came out well enough to share now :)
Its technically not the exact dimensions of the M/C kit - but honestly unless they where side by side - you would be hard pressed to tell - and frankly it didn't matter to me.
I changed around the color configuration around a little more to my liking , as it is a one off anyway right ?

Enough rambling , here is how it came out, it certainly isnt perfect- I would be happy to share build tips and pics for anyone interested - as best I can. I will admit , I tend to overbuild a bit tho :grin:

rj1rgz.jpg

2r73lut.jpg

Looks great to me! Kitty looks impressed, too. What are the dimensions/weight?

Which motors are you considering?

Well , because its basically a PSII style kit- more than likely a G40 first flight. Sims seem to agree, although Im open to suggestions to run sims with.
I have not completed the recovery gear yet and I'm considering mid separation vs N/C- again- open to suggestion here as well. It still comes apart just below the "warhead loaded" decal.

Since the G40 is single use, I'm assuming you don't have reloadable hardware?

I do have a CTI 3gr 29 case- but I have yet to use it, what are you thinking ?

Just that reloads will give you more choices. Do you have a local vendor you buy motors from? I believe CTI motors all require hazmat shipping.

Just that reloads will give you more choices. Do you have a local vendor you buy motors from? I believe CTI motors all require hazmat shipping.

Yeah, I fly at TTRA Tpa - Im pretty sure I can get them there. Rick Waters and I have been discussing him making me some of his motors for me in 29mm - just gotta figure out the right nozzle for the CTI case.

Oh, you're going with EX motors? That's a whole different ballgame.

Oh, you're going with EX motors? That's a whole different ballgame.

Its a ball game for down the road- as you may know, the smaller the diam. the tougher the ex motors become- its a work in progress that we have only discussed as of yet.
I have shy'd away from the reloads and the CTI case only because I have yet to do actually do it :facepalm:
Its time to over come that .

Nice looking PSII bash! The TTRA snuck in the lettering is a nice touch...

Try a CTI reload! I have that same case, and they're almost addictingly easy to build... I guess it's not a problem for you Florida rocketeers, but at last month's CRMRC launch I was prepping CTI in 40 degree weather. Not the worst I've flown in- in December I flew in 25- but I had an easier time prepping the G68Wh I flew than anything else I did that day- even prepping a C6 was harder!

BTW I was also flying a PSII military kitbash- a stretched Scion turned AMRAAM. Build here-
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?141599-A-couple-MPR-scratch-builds

Nice looking PSII bash! The TTRA snuck in the lettering is a nice touch...

Try a CTI reload! I have that same case, and they're almost addictingly easy to build... I guess it's not a problem for you Florida rocketeers, but at last month's CRMRC launch I was prepping CTI in 40 degree weather. Not the worst I've flown in- in December I flew in 25- but I had an easier time prepping the G68Wh I flew than anything else I did that day- even prepping a C6 was harder!

BTW I was also flying a PSII military kitbash- a stretched Scion turned AMRAAM. Build here-
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?141599-A-couple-MPR-scratch-builds

Yeah, I just gotta grow a hair and go for it- its much cheaper than the G40'S AND 80'S .
The VRF after TTRA is for Varn Ranch Florida :wink:
Nice job on your AMRAAM :cool:

Its a ball game for down the road- as you may know, the smaller the diam. the tougher the ex motors become- its a work in progress that we have only discussed as of yet.
I have shy'd away from the reloads and the CTI case only because I have yet to do actually do it :facepalm:
Its time to over come that .

One of our club members has offered to show me how to make my own motors, but I'm not interested. I'm an NAR member, and both clubs I fly with are NAR, which doesn't allow research or EX flights. Liability more than anything makes me say no.

You really really need to start using that CTI case. Once you do, you'll wonder why you waited so long! I was the same way years ago with AT reloads. I kept putting it off, but once I finally did it, I kicked myself for waiting so long!

Yeah, I just gotta grow a hair and go for it- its much cheaper than the G40'S AND 80'S .
The VRF after TTRA is for Varn Ranch Florida :wink:
Nice job on your AMRAAM :cool:

Thanks!

What kinda motors you like? At 1lb dry you can fly most anything in that case... I'm at just under 2lb so I'm basically stuck with F59s, G68s and G57s. In 1G alone there's a smoky, slow or fast white, classic & blue that would all be pretty good. f you have an L1 the G80 skidmark in 2G would be awesome...

CTI motors tend to run in the range of Blue Thunder in terms of burn rate for "standard speed" propellants- white & classic slower, white thunder faster, and VMax way off the top of the scale.

Anyway, enough propellant rambling...

Thanks!

What kinda motors you like? At 1lb dry you can fly most anything in that case... I'm at just under 2lb so I'm basically stuck with F59s, G68s and G57s. In 1G alone there's a smoky, slow or fast white, classic & blue that would all be pretty good. f you have an L1 the G80 skidmark in 2G would be awesome...

CTI motors tend to run in the range of Blue Thunder in terms of burn rate for "standard speed" propellants- white & classic slower, white thunder faster, and VMax way off the top of the scale.

No please ramble on - both of you are gonna help push me over my reload fear edge :facepalm:

Thanks!

No please ramble on - both of you are gonna help push me over my reload fear edge :facepalm:

Back