de Havilland "Vampire"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
Maybe an A10P along with beefier structure (firm balsa - maybe going up in thickness some from the 1/16 inch spars and 1/32 inch ribs). If the model is designed for something that puts out 3 ounces of thrust (so less than 1 Newton) even relatively mild motors will be quite a bit more than it was intended for.

That said, I'm not sure what motors that plan was intended for - the designations in the writeup don't correspond to any Jetex types and don't seem to be Rapier motors either.

Interesting find. The Vampire was a lovely early jet.

Looks like a nice model to try to build. I had a Jetex back in around 1972 I think. The BP will have a lot more kick than the Jetex :eek:

It's an interesting model as far as scale/history. Materials have come a long way since the plans were drawn up, 1947. I think I'd replace a lot of the thinner balsa with either thicker, C-grain, or with plywood. I'd probably scale it up a bit, too. This will make it heavier, but the power of modern engines should power it up without problem. Of course, being heavier, it will glide back down faster, too.

Latest posts

Back