de Havilland "Vampire"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
Maybe an A10P along with beefier structure (firm balsa - maybe going up in thickness some from the 1/16 inch spars and 1/32 inch ribs). If the model is designed for something that puts out 3 ounces of thrust (so less than 1 Newton) even relatively mild motors will be quite a bit more than it was intended for.

That said, I'm not sure what motors that plan was intended for - the designations in the writeup don't correspond to any Jetex types and don't seem to be Rapier motors either.

Interesting find. The Vampire was a lovely early jet.

Looks like a nice model to try to build. I had a Jetex back in around 1972 I think. The BP will have a lot more kick than the Jetex :eek:

It's an interesting model as far as scale/history. Materials have come a long way since the plans were drawn up, 1947. I think I'd replace a lot of the thinner balsa with either thicker, C-grain, or with plywood. I'd probably scale it up a bit, too. This will make it heavier, but the power of modern engines should power it up without problem. Of course, being heavier, it will glide back down faster, too.

Back