Help with decision

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockets

Reaction score
One of my older brothers, (17) is interested in rocketry.
He's flown rockets up to F motor impulse, and likes the hobby.
I'm trying to convince him into getting his Jr L1 like I'm going to do.

Here's what he's looking for:

A rocket that is decently tall.
A rocket that isn't fat and stubby.
A rocket with a 29mm motor mount.
Something that won't more than like 2K on a H motor, we want to see it for the whole flight. :)
Something that can be used as a single deploy rocket, and later on used as a DD rocket.
A rocket that has everything you need to fly, including recovery system, excluding motor, of course. :)
And it can't cost more that $70.

Do you guys know of something that my brother could buy for his cert flight?

Thanks,

Loc Precision is selling a Wi-ROC for $50 that should meet most of your specs. It might be 38mm, which in my opinion is a better choice for L1 because you can use all the I motors too. Their 38mm to 29mm adapter is $5.25 so between those and anything else you want to add, you might be able to keep it under $70. Shipping is probably extra.

Mod a PSII!

I have a stretched Scion AMRAAM that I love. It's big and lumbering but not actually very heavy- 5ft x 3in but under 2lb dry. I don't think they sell that particular kit anymore but you can turn just about any of the "builder kits" into an interesting build. Sadly, they don't sell 3" nose cones anymore- otherwise you could get all the parts for $50 ish. I got the kit as they were phasing out that diameter, so I got a great deal- maybe $40 for the whole thing including spare parts.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?141599-A-couple-MPR-scratch-builds

It seems like the Sahara and Panavia are your best options for kitbashes at the moment. You can do some interesting stuff with those...

I'm fairly certain this is out already,,
so it's ok to divulge..

If I'm wrong I'm in a lota trouble,, no lol,, not funny..

Aerotech is coming out with the rocket kit to end all..

Baddest they've ever endeavored to do..
And by far the most complete..
It will include with the kit aluminum Aeropac motor retention..
And a really smokin harness set up,, quick links and all,,
even a new slick booster attachment point..

It also comes standard with a 38 mm mount,,
but will fly easily and beautifully on 29 mm motors with a simple adapter...

The price of this new ultra complete kit is far below the total of its components...

And with a 38 mm mount it's crazy capable,, it's gonna take a lota flyin to outgrow this kit...

Teddy

so it's ok to divulge..

The price of this new ultra complete kit is far below the total of its components...

And with a 38 mm mount it's crazy capable,, it's gonna take a lota flyin to outgrow this kit...

Teddy

How do you know this???

AfterBurners -- "How do you know this???"

Onebadhawk-- "And a really smokin harness set up,, quick links and all,,"

sounds like someone has been contacted about harnesses for this NEW kit :cool:

I think your budget is the major limiting factor there. If you could pony up about $30 more dollars, your choices would really open up.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Loc Precision is selling a Wi-ROC for $50 that should meet most of your specs. It might be 38mm, which in my opinion is a better choice for L1 because you can use all the I motors too. Their 38mm to 29mm adapter is $5.25 so between those and anything else you want to add, you might be able to keep it under $70. Shipping is probably extra.

the link shows the cost as $77.50?

Why not a madcow little John? Might scrape 2k on medium H

My son has the Madcow Fiberglass Little John and got his L1 with it. He throws single use H motors at it all day long and it is visible the whole flight. Now he did paint it fluorescent orange and has a bright orange parachute too.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

so it's ok to divulge..

Teddy

Everyone knows about the Monstra, supposed to have some sort of cool third party harness ;) Charlie talked about it on the latest Rocketry Show podcast.

Yep,,
It's the Monstra..
I don't think you'll find a better bang for the buck
because of everything included..
By the time you get done adding top of the line tubular Kevlar harnesses
Stainless quick links and aluminum screw on retainers the total can climb pretty quick..

Then,, this is a 38 mm mount rocket...

Teddy

Indeed it does. But when you look at the rocket page it shows on sale for 50 bucks. Would warrant an email or phone call if one is interested.

https://www.locprecision.com/product-category/rockets/2-63-diameter/

I wish I saw this sooner...limited run rocket with limited time special pricing. $50 pricing evaporated this past Sunday, 1/28. A "specially designed" ship for the Woosh group...happy to see it's getting some love!:)

Rockets...some decent options out there if you get creative. "All inclusive" can be a bit subjective...with the relatively expensive extras, the cost adds up fast. The question is: "Do I really need this or that in order to safely fly the rocket?"

Good luck...cool to see the family getting involved!

I would recommend the Madcow DX3. I used this one for my level one and built it with 2 payload sections. One for electronic single and dual deploy and one for motor eject single. It is a good flyer.

Having said that I could not argue with any advice given by Eric Cayemberg. Knows what he is talking about (expert advice) and one of the nicest guys in the hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

The parachute will most likely be multi colored!

so it's ok to divulge..

Teddy

I felt the same way when I asked 'crossfire'* a question or two about a madcow chute...he chuckled and said, 'who do you think makes their chutes?'
top flight made/makes a lot of parachutes for a lot of people, some of which are rocketeers. :)
*former owner of top flight llc
Rex

One of my older brothers, (17) is interested in rocketry.

Something that can be used as a single deploy rocket, and later on used as a DD rocket.

Thanks,

Have you considered a Tether or similar device for dual deploy? I used a Tether (no longer available but there are others) for my L3 and it worked a treat.

Best -- Terry

Back