RocksimPro: Nose Cones

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your post says Rocksim, but your title says RocksimPro.

Judging from your recent posts, I'll assume you're referring to your school's RocksimPro?

Although I have not used RPro, I find it very odd that it wouldn't have the shape of the Haack series nosecones. (Especially since the open-source OpenRocket program includes such cone profiles)
Can you post an image of the nose selection?
Does it list the Von Karman ogive as a potential shape? The VK is really just a Haack profile with shape parameter C=0.
If it does have the VK, select it and see if you can alter parameters. Setting C=1/3 will generate an L/V-Haack cone.

Also, has your team investigated RasAero II?

Yes I was talking about RPro. It does have a VK Ogive, so I will try that shape with C=1/3. I also use RASAero II. Are you familiar with RASAero II?

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Yes I was talking about RPro. It does have a VK Ogive, so I will try that shape with C=1/3. I also use RASAero II. Are you familiar with RASAero II?

Aha! They do have a Haack!
The Von Karman is a very popular choice for rockets that spend time around the Transonic regimes, so I can imagine why they include it as such. I'm curious why you're looking into the Haack optimized for Length/Volume?

Beyond booting it up and playing with it, no. My personal flights don't yet require a high performance simulator like RasAero yet.
However, if you click your heals a few times and say "MachBuster" into the mirror, there's a chance other forum members that do have experience with it may arrive.

Aha! They do have a Haack!
The Von Karman is a very popular choice for rockets that spend time around the Transonic regimes, so I can imagine why they include it as such. I'm curious why you're looking into the Haack optimized for Length/Volume?

Beyond booting it up and playing with it, no. My personal flights don't yet require a high performance simulator like RasAero yet.
However, if you click your heals a few times and say "MachBuster" into the mirror, there's a chance other forum members that do have experience with it may arrive.

Our rocket spends the most time in the supersonic region (Mach 1.2-3). I am looking for the best nose cone to reach an apogee of 100,000 ft. With some research I looked into a 3/4 power or an LV-Kaack or Von Karman. Any knowledge of RASAero II, RocksimPro, or any experience with a rocket with such a goal would be greatly appreciated.

Back