ISO of plot of Schurter (110/220) rotary switch failing.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll throw in a couple of thoughts on my avionics switch philosophy -

I've used Schurter switches for a long time, and really haven't had any more trouble with them than alternatives, but like many components, if you're careless with installation, soldering, or use, you'll break them. Cheap key switches are far, far worse. I'm always interested in alternatives (including twist and tape), and since my day job and other interests have always involved electronic gadgetry, I like checking them out. The Fingertech switch is tempting, except for the point I make below.

One point that I now make to student teams that I mentor is the value in using a switch that doesn't require something unique to turn it off in the field. If you or someone else needs to disarm your electronics, will a special key or allen wrench be needed, or can you do it with a simple screwdriver or pocket knife? And if you drop that special key in the field, or leave it in your setup area when you go out to recover? Just food for thought. Everyone will have a different approach to this, I'm sure.

Mark

Wow. Had no idea this was a thing with these switches.

I'll just stick to my twist and tuck (modified) method. :D

-Dave

I have also been a long-time user of the Schurter switches and have had no problems. But I also think the Fingertech switches look simpler and more robust, so I am starting to use them instead for new projects.

nose-core.jpg

(I'm also working on a switch comparison, but it's stalled at the moment.)

I have also been a long-time user of the Schurter switches and have had no problems. But I also think the Fingertech switches look simpler and more robust, so I am starting to use them instead for new projects.

(I'm also working on a switch comparison, but it's stalled at the moment.)

I'm a big fan of the MissileWorks 6-32 screw switch with the screw switch cover guide.

Screw Switch

Edward

Latest posts

Back