What do you want in a rocket channel?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbecks

Reaction score
Hello all, I’m planning on starting a model rocket channel based around building experimental rocket vehicles, think rocket cars, sleds, boats and rail following cars.
If any of you have seen my rocket sled videos you get the idea of what I build. My question is what would follow rocket enthusiast be looking for in a channel? What sort of content would make you want to watch and subscribe?

Some notes: my old videos where meant just for sharing with friends and family so the newe channel will have a much higher production value.
I won’t be doing anything on building rocket fuel/engines as it is illegal for me.

Thank you for any input!

example of what I like to build
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v15s8CvK-Tk

I think you're on the right track. Number one for me would be safety. Do not try this at home and all.

As far as a channel goes: #1 Your videos will be best when it's something you're passionate about. Do what you do and people will watch who like it.
#2 Ad revenue? You won't make a dime until you reach 1k subscribers and have 4000+ hours of watch time in a year.
Even then it's only like $2 per 1000 views.
#3 Good thumbnails. I haven't worried about this too much but the better ones are representative of the content. Think "money shots".

That's about all I can think of at the moment.

Thanks for the input. I’m not worried about making money off of it, it’s more to give me a drive to get back into the hobby. Thumbnails will need work I have no experience in it.

I guess another thing I should consider is can I keep up consistent content. I’m just thinking out loud hoping for feed back

If you upload regularly at least once a week then YouTube's algorithms make your videos more likely to be suggested.

What I like in channels in general is that "what are they going to do next?" Take Cody's Lab for example, his channel definitely has a theme, but something new once or twice a week.

Rocketry-wise I like good old launch videos. Static tests are cool. I like seeing something new as well in the hobby.

I guess another thing I should consider is can I keep up consistent content. I’m just thinking out loud hoping for feed back

TBH, one of the things that burns me out on channels are the posts that are clearly just made to make a post to keep on a regular release cycle. If all the videos a channel has posted are awesome, then it really doesn't matter how frequently they're posted.

How often you talking? Seems like you only show up in winter or will it be all year now?

I would like to do it no weekly or monthly possibly. I bought a house iron fall and have been to busy moving and setting up to build anything.

no longer than 10 or 15 minutes.. that's about all I can tolerate watching "Youtube"
cover various launches (however, I realize this is unlikely)
cover various building / finishing techniques
get some guest speakers. See about an interview with Tim, Jim, Mike..
"Behind the scenes" maybe a tour of Madcow or .. A tour of Aerotech or CTI would be way cool!!
Some content on actual rocket & space stuff.. Upcoming Space X, or Wallops launches
OR or RS tips & short-cuts
A features product / kit / device

no longer than 10 or 15 minutes.. that's about all I can tolerate watching "Youtube"
cover various launches (however, I realize this is unlikely)
cover various building / finishing techniques
get some guest speakers. See about an interview with Tim, Jim, Mike..
"Behind the scenes" maybe a tour of Madcow or .. A tour of Aerotech or CTI would be way cool!!
Some content on actual rocket & space stuff.. Upcoming Space X, or Wallops launches
OR or RS tips & short-cuts
A features product / kit / device

thanks, these are some great ideas. I never thought of doing more than the vehicle builds and launches. Content will be way easier to produce regularly with othe rocket related topics to cover.

That reminds me, one video I'm planning on doing soon is about what happens when a booster sticks and the motor pops out the back. Booster burn and how to fix or something along those lines.

You could also do something rocket repair related like fixing a broken shock cord, pranged body tube, etc. As long as the technique demonstrated is a good way of fixing whatevers broken. There's plenty of advice regarding various repairs on this site if you need research.

Back