Where to find card stock like Estes uses.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeepOvertone

Reaction score
I'm looking to find heavy card stock like the stuff Estes uses for their centering rings. Does anyone know a good source for stuff that heavy? Thanks.

52 pt. Chipboard (cardboard) is very similar and is what I use. Its also available in heavier thicknesses iirc. 52 pt is .052" thick according to my caliper.

52 pt. Chipboard (cardboard) is very similar and is what I use. Its also available in heavier thicknesses iirc. 52 pt is .052" thick according to my caliper.

Is that the stuff sold in a roll at home improvement stores?

No, I get mine at a craft store called Craft Warehouse. Its also available on Amazon. Paper Accents is one brand.

The stuff at home improvement stores may be similar, iirc its used to protect floors during construction/remodelling.

Last edited:
art stores might have what you're after, or something similar. I'm thinking "matt" material for framed pictures, or 'illustration board' (#27!).

Go to a frame shop and ask if they have any matt board scraps.
Call up Michael's or Hobby Lobby frame shop and ask.
You can usually pick them up pretty cheap.

Comic book boards. You can get 100 for $12 at Walmart. Cheaper other places, YMMV. These are typically 24pt (.024" thick) cardstock. Can be laminated for thicker parts.

Mat board thickness varies by brand, but is usually somewhere between 40pt and 50pt (.040" - .050" thick) for 4 ply board.

kj

Comic book boards. You can get 100 for $12 at Walmart. Cheaper other places, YMMV. These are typically 24pt (.024" thick) cardstock. Can be laminated for thicker parts.

Mat board thickness varies by brand, but is usually somewhere between 40pt and 50pt (.040" - .050" thick) for 4 ply board.

kj

May I ask what section in Walmart? I don't think I have ever seen them.
I usually just use poster board and laminate 2 or 3 thicknesses together

If you're familiar with those black fiber CR's, most of them are 0.05 in thickness. A very good product in my opinion. We found a very similar fiber board in an average art shop called "Presentation Board". Appears to be the same material but ever so slightly thinner. Still has the rigidity you would need for LPR models. Olfa circle cutters work great on them and they sand very nicely. They were given to me so I cannot quote a price. Bottom line, this material exceeds the quality of those cardboard CR's sold by Estes and other makers. You won't find this stuff at Hobby Lobby or Michael's though. Already tried. I haven't done an online search, but it's likely you should find it out there and just order it. I'll do a search and report back if I find something. I'd personally like to know where I can get some also.

That was going to be my next place to look. Thanks

art stores might have what you're after, or something similar. I'm thinking "matt" material for framed pictures, or 'illustration board' (#27!). fairly thick cardstock.
https://www.peterboromatboards.com/product-illustration.php

Yep. I had this same idea. Still haven't been able to make it out to see what they have.

May I ask what section in Walmart? I don't think I have ever seen them.
I usually just use poster board and laminate 2 or 3 thicknesses together

I'd like to know the same thing also. I went to walmart yesterday and couldn't find anything.

Also, if you are asking around at frame shops for mat board offcuts, ask for backer board too. Since it doesn't have to be pretty (used on the back of framing) it tends to be cheaper than mat board.

kj

I thought I was the only that knew about the comic book board? I found mine at ......... wait for it.......... a comic book store!

I went to Hobby Lobby last night and they said they don't sell scraps. But I found something that is perfect for what I wanted. I did have to pay for it though. More info below.

art stores might have what you're after, or something similar. I'm thinking "matt" material for framed pictures, or 'illustration board' (#27!). fairly thick cardstock.
https://www.peterboromatboards.com/product-illustration.php

I think I found the illustration board you are talking about. Very nice stuff. I bought one for $4.50.

I thought I was the only that knew about the comic book board? I found mine at ......... wait for it.......... a comic book store!

I went to the comic store last night and bought 4 for $.25 each. They will do for low power stuff but I was buying for reinforcing the Estes rings on something I want to fly on AP. I ended up buying a 16/20 "art board" for $4.50. Its 1.5mm thick as compared to Estes board which is 1mm. I'm going to use the Estes ring as a template and sandwich it between two laters of this stuff. For a total of 4mm instead of 1.

I have pictures but of course the forum software isn't working. If anyone wants to see, just let me know.

Hobby Lobby carries packs of matt board. They come in standard picture sizes. Usually one side is white, the other a random color, although some are white on both sides or color on both sides (or color all the way through). I've used them for centering rings with great success. The material is even thick enough for fins for small/light rockets.

When using the matboard. that stuff is not really a paper as much as a cotton blend with paper, do you saturate the rings with glue for extra strength?

When using the matboard. that stuff is not really a paper as much as a cotton blend with paper, do you saturate the rings with glue for extra strength?

The stuff I use is definitely paper. I use it "plain" for centering rings as the edges will get saturated in glue when they're put in place. I've never treated the fins, but then I don't treat Estes paper fins either. If they get too torn up, they can be replaced, or maybe it's time for a new rocket.

Back