Great article by John Boren in the new Apogee Peak of Flight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.apogeerockets.com/education/downloads/Newsletter461.pdf

John Boren talks about his design process. Lots of good stuff including some of his original concept sketches.

At one point he recounts how someone once told him they thought Estes must have had multiple designers because of the incredible variety of designs; I think that might have been me, on this forum a while back, but I've been unable to find the posting. Then again it's not important so it's not like I've really tried.

Anyway, recommended reading particularly for Estes fans.

Yes I enjoyed it. There was also a Rocketry Show interview with him awhile back that is excellent, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Interesting. His process seems to be very similar to mine.

If a series of sketches does not materialize into a build at first, I save the sketches in a folder. Sometimes a sketch contains a kernel of a concept that I can start with in order to take a design into a more fruitful direction.

I love how he used the Blackstar as an example of "We have a bunch of tubes we need to get rid of....."

It's cool hearing more about it's conception as well.

Good grief, I hope you didn't spend too much time searching for that... :eyepop:

Hells No ! It was my thread and searching this place is fun; you always find somethin' ! I remember chuckling derisively at the fool who would challenge "The Chief Designer". :wink:

Couple of interesting takeaways from the article - designs are driven by which motors they’ll use and by what parts they have the most of! As if it’s all one big Designer Special mixed with how many B6-4 motors are in the warehouse! :wink:

Back