Madcow Super Batray build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about I throw a Jolly Logic Chute Release in there for the I motor?
It would pretty much be dual deploy, just without black powder. :)

Thanks,

I would recommend doing that! For all flights. Less walking means more flying.

I did my level 1 with this rocket as well. It flew ~1000 feet on a single use H motor with motor eject. Super simple. It is a big rocket so pick your motor accordingly. I was a little conservative on the motor size and the rocket didn't quit have enough speed off the rail to go straight up. Instead it flew ~10-15 degrees off vertical. When I did my level 1 I was also advised to add some extra BP to the ejection charge. There is a lot of volume in this rocket to pressurize. I think I'm using about 1.5-2 grams now.

After a few launches I added the 4" removable e-bay and a 12" extension and used the same rocket for level 2. In my opinion the extension makes the rocket look better. The over-all proportions are improved. But my kit came with a longer nose than the one you have pictured.

After a few more flights I installed a bulkhead and eggfinder in the nose cone. This is overkill because I've never lost sight of the rocket, just a fun modification. And once I started building the eggtimer stuff I couldn't stop.

I think I'm going to play around with shear pins next. I'm a little inconsistent when is comes to friction fitting with DD. Every once in a while the main will come out at apogee.

I fly it all the time. It is a tank with a lot of potential. oh, and the fins whistle a bit too, so that's cool.

Don't you guys worry that you get too loose a fit? and rely on a thick (relative!) layer of epoxy between the two?

I get that a lot with my home made rings. I generally wrap tape below the ring and then fillet the other side, letting the epoxy fill any gap. Unless the fit is terrible, there generally isn't an issue with the overall fit of the mount.

Not to worry. Add a dab of CA or epoxy to the holes and then install the buttons. This has worked just fine for me on dozens of rockets in the L1 range...long before people decided nuts or backing was a necessity.

Yep, did that for my modified LOC Graduator.

Thanks,

Back