SR-72 Back in the News

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It probably has for a decade. If they are publically discussing it as a possibility it already has existed for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

The guy that did that illustration (it's been 2 or 3 years) explained that he had discovered that it was easier to do a model in 3D cad, position the rendering as he wanted, and then do the illustration from that. I think it was originally for Popular Science or something like that. He also said he might as well make it printable, and released it as an .stl. 'Though I don't remember where I got it, and I don't recall seeing it on the usuall collection sites.

It's printed in two pieces, and each was 10-12 hours IIRC.

Not as bad as I thought. That’s a good-sized piece with what looks like a lot of material.

You really need to visit the Space Modeling group on Facebook. Then you’d see stuff like this that crazy people like Mario Perdue have printed...IMG_0604.jpg

The intakes for the engines clearly don't represent functional engines at high altitude/high speed as the adjustable cones do on the SR-71.
If this is an accurate representation of the actual jet, there is a new engine out there we need to find out about.
And I don't think we've developed anything that can take off at sea level and function without modifying air flow and burn at 90,000'.
But...I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. While my brother works at Boeing, he's stuck in the commercial airliner engineering section.
He doesn't see any military or X models of anything.
But seams like something like this there would be rumors about in the industry...somewhere.

The intakes for the engines clearly don't represent functional engines at high altitude/high speed as the adjustable cones do on the SR-71.
If this is an accurate representation of the actual jet, there is a new engine out there we need to find out about.
And I don't think we've developed anything that can take off at sea level and function without modifying air flow and burn at 90,000'.
But...I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. While my brother works at Boeing, he's stuck in the commercial airliner engineering section.
He doesn't see any military or X models of anything.
But seams like something like this there would be rumors about in the industry...somewhere.

The engine is new, and there is info out there.

Why? Perhaps keeping an engine such as this out of the limelight is the best thing that could happen, or at least as long as possible. For that matter, the whole she-bang air vehicle, if it exists. I'd rather our warfighters go into combat with as biased a chance for their survival as possible, and the least opportunity for our adversaries to fight another day. We'll all get our curiosity fulfilled when the time is right. The fact that little tidbits of info like this come out says something all on its own.

SR-75.jpgWe have been rumored to have a Mach 6 capable hypersonic reconnaissance airplane in our inventory since around the mid 80's: the SR-75 Penetrator, aka Project Aurora. The government denies the existence of such a plane or the program, and some say it's a myth. I don't know if it really exists, all I know is I've had one since the mid 90's, courtesy of Testors. Big, cool plane.

Back