Tripoli San Diego Presents - Holtville Havoc 2018 - March 2 - 4

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigWaveDave

Reaction score
- 18,000 foot waiver.
- Motors up to M impulse.
- Animal Motor Works will be onsite.
- Onsite camping is free.
- Spectating is free.
- T-shirts will be available for purchase.
- Raffle prizes
- Membership in NAR or Tripoli required to launch High Power
- All other groups and individuals must show proof of insurance to launch Low Power

Launch fees for Tripoli San Diego members will be $10 per day or $20 for the entire launch.
Launch fees for non-members will be $15 per day or $30 for the entire launch.

Holtville airport is about 2 hours east of San Diego down I-8. It can be found by searching Google Maps for “TRASD launch site”. The small town of Holtville is nearby with gas stations, small markets and restaurants. The cities of El Centro and Imperial with Hotels, Restaurants, Grocery Stores, Home Depot, Costco, etc., are approximately 20 miles from the launch site.
Range hours:
Friday March 2: 1:00 PM to 5:45 PM
Saturday March 3: 8:00 AM to 5:45 PM
Saturday Night Launch 7:30 PM to 9:30 PM restricted to Class I Rockets with visible electric lights
Sunday March 4: 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM

For more details about the club and launch site, visit https://www.tripolisandiego.org/
For more detail about AMW-PROX, visit https://amwprox.com/
Boy Scout or other groups wishing to attend please contact Dave Nord [email protected]

Wayco and I will be there again this year with even more rockets to fly! A great place to launch and a fun group to be with - a not to be missed event.

Super excited to attend this year...can’t wait! Hopefully some other SARA members can come too.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I understand that we can camp out on the site Thursday night.

Will it be clear when someone can pitch a tent if they do come Thursday night and can we get access to the grounds?

You mean where? I expect club members will be there at that point, just ask them if it's not obvious.

People who plan to attend may want to sign up for the mailing list at https://www.tripolisandiego.org/

Wayne and I are coming with our trailer from Goodyear, AZ on Thursday mid-dayish. I think I remember last year we needed a code to get into the site area? I know I got out of the truck to move a gate so we could get in.

Just signed up for the mailing list.

Heading in from AZ, where’s a good place to top off water tanks? I got a California fire permit...is a fire ring sufficient or do campfires need to be off the ground?

A fire ring is sufficient. I don't know about a location for filling the water tanks. Wayco/Hardline, do you guys happen to know?

In other news, the t-shirts have arrived. Final pricing hasn't been set yet, but they'll probably be in the mid $20s.

IMG_0795.JPG

Raffle prizes include a 7.5 in LOC V2 kit.

The featured club launch will be a 2 stage 4x4 54mm cluster. That's 4 motors in the booster and 4 in the sustainer. Launch is pending delivery of motors. Scheduled for late Saturday afternoon.

So what are you folks planning for the class 1 night launch? I will be flying "Painted with Light" on a CTI G145 pink and the "Cat Toy" on a CTI H170 blue streak. I had some other ideas, but doubt that I have enough time to get them done before the launch.

I was thinking of adding lights to the sustainer of “Leroy Jenkins” with a CTI H151RL and chute release.

So what are you folks planning for the class 1 night launch? I will be flying "Painted with Light" on a CTI G145 pink and the "Cat Toy" on a CTI H170 blue streak. I had some other ideas, but doubt that I have enough time to get them done before the launch.

Terry, I'm bringing my night snitch saucer and the 38MM Funk Saucer on a CTI H100 that Kenny Rico made for me - you'll remember I launched it at NSL 2017 at Alamogordo. I may launch it more than once since my motor inventory says I have 6 of those motors....and AMW will be there.....

Looking forward to seeing yours fly they are always show stoppers

Terry, I'm bringing my night snitch saucer and the 38MM Funk Saucer on a CTI H100 that Kenny Rico made for me - you'll remember I launched it at NSL 2017 at Alamogordo. I may launch it more than once since my motor inventory says I have 6 of those motors....and AMW will be there.....

Looking forward to seeing yours fly they are always show stoppers

Kenny launched his Funk Saucer last month on a longburn H, IIRC. It was the middle of the day so we didn't get the light show, but MAN! That thing seemed to burn forever and it pushed it straight up all the way to (a relatively low) apogee. That was good saucer sorcery.

If I get the chance, I'll launch this modified DX-3 on a G-76 sparky.
20140421_184120.jpg20140714_194206.jpg20140417_220054.jpg

Kenny launched his Funk Saucer last month on a longburn H, IIRC. It was the middle of the day so we didn't get the light show, but MAN! That thing seemed to burn forever and it pushed it straight up all the way to (a relatively low) apogee. That was good saucer sorcery.

If I get the chance, I'll launch this modified DX-3 on a G-76 sparky.
View attachment 339225View attachment 339226View attachment 339227

Nice Nitey Nite payload ... bring your running shoes !

In case someone tries to steal the bird after flight or the Big W tries to take off with it also ..

If Warner brings his Saucer we can have a real drag race .

Kenny

How is the range laid out? Is it is the middle of the tarmac or on the edge? Can easy ups be staked down or do we need to bring weights to hold down the legs?

We typically park on a taxiway and setup on the dirt. The desert ground is hard packed. You'll want the steel tent stakes if you're staking down.

Both weather underground and windfinder are showing winds in the high teens/low 20s on Saturday. Sunday looks better. Monitor the weather forecasts and plan accordingly.

Come early! We set up most of the range yesterday, should have it fully functional by 10 am today. Better weather today and Sunday, stick around and fly Sunday!
Bring heavy duty tent stakes, I bent several setting up camp.

Friday was great, Saturday was pretty good up until about 1:00, and surprisingly Sunday was iffy up until the range was shut down at Noon. Lots of fun, now it's time to get ready for TRALV Springfest...

These are probably not the pictures you want, but it's all I took. Friday morning, just a few of us, but we got most of the range set up, and started flying by 10 am.
165.jpg

164_1.jpg

I need to type up a report on this launch, but it's too early and I need more COFFEE!

Step aside, Wayco! I have some photos:

Let's see if I can get this to work. The photo uploader is getting ornery...

Kenrico and Warnerr helping Eggtimer Cris load his L3 cert rocket, Wildman Drago 4XL:

cris cert 1.jpg

Cris's L3 going up on an AT M1500
cris cert 2.jpg

We had winds at altitude so it landed about 1.5 miles away. Cris strapped his LCD to the handlebars on his quad and we followed him out in a Jeep. I was navigator with the back-up LCD with the directional upgrade. Worked awesome. We were following Cris, but I was telling the driver "right 20, ahead 5,300 feet... Left 10, ahead 4900 feet." Drove right to it.

Back