Tripoli San Diego Presents - Holtville Havoc 2018 - March 2 - 4

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other launches I happened to catch. A couple L2 certs coming off the pad and a smokey.

smokey.jpg
39720690935_39e1694a64_z.jpg
l2 cert 2.jpg
l2 cert 1.jpg

We don't have the official counts of flyers or launches yet, but it was a well attended, safe, successful, fun launch.

There were many M flights before the W switch was turned on.

I got to meet Robbdm and assisted him in striking camp by pulling a tent stake or two out by tripping over them on my way to talk to Wayco.

Wayco and I were prepping to race Xcelerators, but the wind came up before we could get them loaded on the pad. Probably a good thing since it would have been a K against my J sparky and I would lose, but rest assured mine looks as lot prettier. (Wayco actually flies his. Mine I just keep in my garage and rub with a diaper). It's always good to see Hardline.

AMW Prox took good care of us as the onsite vendor.

We had a club launch with a large 2-stage rocket. Anyone who wanted contributed to a motor fund. Each stage had (4) 54mm clusters. Had enough $$ so booster had 4 grain skid marks and long burn K300s in the sustainer, IIRC. It staged at about 800 feet and the sustainer seemed to go forever. Flew ALMOST perfectly. The booster main fouled and it hit a little hard. Right about the time I thought it may have gone in orbit, others pointed out the sustainer main had deployed and it came down gently. I think they said it made it to 15,000 feet. Pics and video from an onboard camera are pending.

I launched my night rocket and decided to hang it on a 40 inch chute so it could blink in the sky for a while. Got to take a nice moonlit walk in the desert to retrieve it a long way from the line. Fortunately Kenrico's landed near mine so I had company.

I missed terryg and Coyotenumber2, unfortunately.

Great shots Mark!
Yeah, a bit windy, so how about we convince Kenny to air out his Rocket Rage 150:

[video]https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RZY38RXGXrovtrHzUvoFGma-D99K7AXj[/video]

Sharon has a bunch of pic's on her camera, but she is up in the office making money, so we will have to wait for her to download them later.
David Robb camped next to us and was a busy boy Friday. We all figured that the wind would blow us out on Saturday, so he flew 6 rockets Friday, packed up Saturday am and drove back North. He usually posts up a launch report, so keep an eye out for it.
Second year in a row that the X-Celerators were at this launch and they still have not raced each other. Next year it's my old, scratched up "Rapiditty" vs Marks "Fairly Fast Finch" with the rusty eyebolts! Save up your pennies Mark, I just can't fly these big rockets on anything less than a 6 grain K motor.

These are probably not the pictures you want, but it's all I took. Friday morning, just a few of us, but we got most of the range set up, and started flying by 10 am.
165.jpg

164_1.jpg

I need to type up a report on this launch, but it's too early and I need more COFFEE!

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Try the “Igniter” stuff yet?

Not yet, I had a pot of my regular lighter fluid set up already. Probably not a good idea to add that stuff after my regular fix.
How did the L3 attempt go?

No official word on the cause of the malfunction, but the main did not deploy properly. I’m sure he (James) will fix the minor damage and fly it again. The up part was absolutely perfect and a real treat to watch.

The up part was absolutely perfect and a real treat to watch.
I caught some photos of this flight and a few others: below is the first M flight on Friday and this L3 attempt, which was the last M flight on Sunday. Fortunately it missed the runways and landed on dirt.l3.jpgruss.jpg

Last edited:
There’s always a risk when you invite people from other clubs/areas to a launch on your home field. Will they wash their hands before touching our controllers? Bring pizza with pineapple to the pot luck? Ply us with alcohol and abscond with our propellant stock and women in the dead of night? Mock our rusty eyebolts? Who knows what could happen!

And then there’s the flip side where someone shows up, is an awesome guest, and gets stellar pics of the club project. Such is the case with Randy S. who joined us from Phoenix and got Pulitzer Prize level photographs of the 2 stage 4x4. Thanks Randy!

view
1 DSC_0636 (2).jpg

2 DSC_0637.jpg

3 DSC_0639 (2).jpg

4 DSC_0640 (2).jpg

5 DSC_0641 (2).jpg

Try the “Igniter” stuff yet?

You should have warned me!
Due to the fast turnaround between the TRA/PHX research launch and Holtville Havoc, I did the unforgivable sin of leaving a bunch of EX casings in the sink dirty. We got back from Holtville and added a bunch more AT and CTI casings to the pile. Today I got up and had a cup of Ignitor, along with my regular Kona coffee. Went to the gym and had a great workout, drove into Phoenix and spent a couple hours doing research, came home and got busy:

fb93ae08-ee71-46a7-b292-cb4ee1bac62e.jpg

Is this stuff legal?

You should have warned me!
Due to the fast turnaround between the TRA/PHX research launch and Holtville Havoc, I did the unforgivable sin of leaving a bunch of EX casings in the sink dirty. We got back from Holtville and added a bunch more AT and CTI casings to the pile. Today I got up and had a cup of Ignitor, along with my regular Kona coffee. Went to the gym and had a great workout, drove into Phoenix and spent a couple hours doing research, came home and got busy:

fb93ae08-ee71-46a7-b292-cb4ee1bac62e.jpg

Is this stuff legal?

Approved by the FDA... and Recommended by 1 out of 5 pharmacists! Enjoy! 🤣

There’s always a risk when you invite people from other clubs/areas to a launch on your home field. Will they wash their hands before touching our controllers? Bring pizza with pineapple to the pot luck? Ply us with alcohol and abscond with our propellant stock and women in the dead of night? Mock our rusty eyebolts? Who knows what could happen!

And then there’s the flip side where someone shows up, is an awesome guest, and gets stellar pics of the club project. Such is the case with Randy S. who joined us from Phoenix and got Pulitzer Prize level photographs of the 2 stage 4x4. Thanks Randy!

view
View attachment 340258

View attachment 340257

View attachment 340256

View attachment 340259

View attachment 340260

Randy is the best with a DSLR...he builds a quality White Wolf during “W” shutdowns too, a true Double Threat!

Back