Preliminary model rocket probe for launch into tornadoes from Dominator 3

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think shooting rockets into tornadoes is gonna stop them. If anything it'll just piss the tornado off.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I don't think shooting rockets into tornadoes is gonna stop them. If anything it'll just piss the tornado off.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

DITTO,

Are they going to try to recover the payload or are they going to go ballistic? TRA and NAR would get plenty MAD!!:wink:

If I find it, I'm keeping it. Screw'em. Kurt

Related video shows a recovery system.

They must think the parachute will work and the sensor payload will float/drift.

ASSumptions:

Low thrust model rocket moving slow will go where they point it even with MASSIVE sidewinds. They obviously do not know what "weather-cocking" is, even though a weathercock is a meteorological instrument.

Parachute will survive tornado conditions.

At least the silly movie folks allowed the tornado to suck the small probes up by itself. It is what tornadoes do very well.

DITTO,

Are they going to try to recover the payload or are they going to go ballistic? TRA and NAR would get plenty MAD!!:wink:

If I find it, I'm keeping it. Screw'em. Kurt

Unfortunately, zero technical details in this video, but a search reveals the rockets will contain tiny eMote sensors:

https://www.thesirensproject.com/portfolio/emote-global-sense-technology/

[video=youtube;rg1hCFzBESM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg1hCFzBESM[/video]

Back when we owned Top Flight Recovery we sold chutes to the National Storm Lab they were doing this very same thing. Yes they were looking to recover rockets but they did get reading from the rocket on its way up and hopefully on the way down.

Back when we owned Top Flight Recovery we sold chutes to the National Storm Lab they were doing this very same thing. Yes they were looking to recover rockets but they did get reading from the rocket on its way up and hopefully on the way down.

Did they ever let you know whether or not they got a rocket back in any way shape or form? I'm with Fred, if the chute even gets out and survives the thing will end up lord knows where if it isn't destroyed by flying debris first. Kurt

[video=youtube;2myEUxvezkE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2myEUxvezkE[/video]
Did they ever let you know whether or not they got a rocket back in any way shape or form? I'm with Fred, if the chute even gets out and survives the thing will end up lord knows where if it isn't destroyed by flying debris first. Kurt

When was this? When I was working at NSSL, I was trying to get some interest stirred in rocketry, but there are just too many problems (recovery only being one). They *have* used rocketsondes, (I have a few), but not for tornado research.

Back