The Missile Works T3 has been available for several months now...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 337572

Can I find anything else for you?

So... how is that "in the order"?

Bet you won't answer this question either. Attacking me personally, trying to shame me for having an expectation different from yours does not help Missile Works sell product, either to me or others monitoring this thread.

My bad for scanning the topic.

No worries, at least your not trying to be a jerk like this fella Cnorm. Don't know why people do that. It's like they take it personally. If I was Jim I would not be happy with someone coming to my defense by attacking my customers.

I'm bad about scanning a topic looking for buzz words to fit my own search criteria, and get caught up in the drama... I just purchased the T3 myself, and am a little apprehensive... always thrilling to learn something new in rocketry, and kind of scary at the same time.

I am looking forward to reading your experience with the system when you get it. I'm waiting on the system and batteries. Now looking for cables. Good luck!

Now looking for cables.
Not sure what you mean by "cables" but the T3 comes ready to go. Connect power and go. But you probably know that already and I'm misinterpreting cables.
jahall4 don't let the few negative people here bother you. Their internet communicating skills (or lack of) are a little less refined than the rest of us. There are a few here that always seem to be itching for a fight. There is a "ignore" button for them.

Any how I think you will enjoy your new T3. I wasn't bashing the system, I was just trying to figure out which one of the three apps available worked best for me. As you will most likely see when you get yours, some apps seem to work better. I think it might be a personal preference, which ever one you choose.

So... the Rx and Tx don't come with pigtails that can be used with the recommended battery?

It is only a recommendation & not all Lipos are created equal, meaning they don't all have the same connector!

So... the Rx and Tx don't come with pigtails that can be used with the recommended battery?

I’ve never seen any rocketry electronics that come with battery connectors unless they have an integrated battery holder. There are just too many ways to connect batteries, requiring different lengths of battery cables, and so many different choices of batteries.

I’ve never seen any rocketry electronics that come with battery connectors unless they have an integrated battery holder. There are just too many ways to connect batteries, requiring different lengths of battery cables, and so many different choices of batteries.
Same with the power switch, rocketry electronics do not come with those. If your T3 has not yet shipped, consider adding a switch to your Missileworks order, see https://www.missileworks.com/store/#!/Power-Switches/c/5760490/offset=0&sort=normal

The 2-pole rotary switch is great.

Last edited:

No batteries, no battery chargers, no wiring, no switches, no case, no USB cables, no programming interface, no GPS post-processor = $150

It doesn't get cheaper than that unless you build your own EggFinder, I think.

It is only a recommendation & not all Lipos are created equal, meaning they don't all have the same connector!

Given the picture I thought it might.

teaserbox_952303719.jpg

It's sort of bizarre in that the phone was purposefully placed to obscure the Rx battery, and only the Rx Battery.

The 2-pole rotary switch is great.

Yep, I've got a bag of the Schuter switches, but ordered one of the Missile works screw switched because I understand its suppose to integrate with the sled.

Given the picture I thought it might.

teaserbox_952303719.jpg

It's sort of bizarre in that the phone was purposefully placed to obscure the Rx battery, and only the Rx Battery.

Agreed. To the uninitiated, it looks the RX (with no antenna) plugs into the phone. I mildly complained about these confusing pictures in the other thread, and Jim nicely cleared it all up with his responses. I am a stickler for proper documentation/descriptions.

Agreed. To the uninitiated, it looks the RX (with no antenna) plugs into the phone. I mildly complained about these confusing pictures in the other thread, and Jim nicely cleared it all up with his responses. I am a stickler for proper documentation/descriptions.

... but why not just fix the photo then it would not require a response (explanation)? (rhetorical of course. :) )

Received my order today; I ordered a little of everything, including a extra transmitter. This way I can nosecone or shockcord mount for any of my vehicles:

DeeaUFM.jpg

Bn4WE0J.jpg

feZEkpr.jpg

eH6HrIE.jpg

VlimOjN.jpg

Just waiting on batteries and battery pigtails to come in so I can start playing.

Received my order today; I ordered a little of everything, including a extra transmitter. This way I can nosecone or shockcord mount for any of my vehicles:

Just waiting on batteries and battery pigtails to come in so I can start playing.

:) Got mine too, just minutes ago and waiting on batteries too. May appropriate the batteries from my sons drone until they arrive. :wink:

Received my order today; I ordered a little of everything, including a extra transmitter.

Are you having any luck getting yours to work?

Best I can determine the Tx and Rx won't "associate". No blinking LEDs on the Tx and Rx.

Are you having any luck getting yours to work?

Best I can determine the Tx and Rx won't "associate". No blinking LEDs on the Tx and Rx.

Check the polarity of your power connection (and the charge of your batteries). If the voltage is reversed, then the LED won't flash. Fortunately, accidentally hooking it backwards causes no damage.

Also, when the two units are radio paired, I've noticed no change in the LED pattern.

The way to know they're working is to pair to a Bluetooth device and get your locations coming in.

Check the polarity of your power connection (and the charge of your batteries). If the voltage is reversed, then the LED won't flash. Fortunately, accidentally hooking it backwards causes no damage.

Also, when the two units are radio paired, I've noticed no change in the LED pattern.

The way to know they're working is to pair to a Bluetooth device and get your locations coming in.

I of course double and even triple checked connection and charged batteries, swapped pigtails etc.... Problem is the main LEDs don't light at all, but the B/T pairs just fine and the B/T LED goes solid just like the docs say it should. I would expect the LEDs on the Tx and Rx to blink or something as soon as power is applied but they don't even with both on. That's why I said, "Best I can determine the Tx and Rx won't "associate". No blinking LEDs on the Tx and Rx." so they are not connecting/talking to each other. Radios aren't working so no stream for the B/T GPS app to read. :(

I don't remember what blinks other than the BT, but are you testing outside within view of satellites?

I tried my initial testing sitting at my desk and nothing. Once I went outside, maps popped up and I was able to track the transmitter with no issues.

I don't remember what blinks other than the BT, but are you testing outside within view of satellites?

Yep, but it really shouldn't matter as the system should tell you if the Tx and Rx are communication regardless of satellite reception if for no other reason than to troubleshoot a problem just like I'm having. So either its poorly designed or mine is "broke" my suspicion is the network IDs don't match, but I'm not finding any info about what they are on each device. Either way its bad that something you can't configure and can't confirm, can't be verified w/o it working end-to-end.

What I really need to know is is exactly what you can't remember :), what the init sequence as you power up the equipment, but the only thing I have been able to find is a sentence that reads "The T1 LED on both boards indicates the 'association' status of the Xbee radio link, and they will blink in a semi-unison pattern when both radios are linked and communicating." And of course this should be independent of whether you phone app is working. Interestingly this sentence is not present in the online copy for the manual, ONLY the hard copy I received with the system.

There can be problems with indoor testing due to difficulties with getting an indoor GPS fix.

Took me 10 minutes getting it up and running but I had all the bits and batteries on hand.

Don't give up until the units are taken outside. Properly paired, make sure the app one uses is "listening" to the
Receiver port. Don't just pull up the application and expect it to work after pairing the receiver. One has to go to a pull-down menu to whatever terminal application one is using and direct the application to look for the incoming datastream.

A down-and-dirty way to test out the system is to get the Android application Bluetooth GPS. The one with the blue colored ball icon. Next, make sure you have the developer options working in your Android device and allow mock GPS locations. Some of the newer versions of the Android system require one to assign the application to this option but it will be evident. Fire up Bluetooth GPS pick the port where the receiver is and if valid data is streaming in you'll see it on a map and the satellite listing. Congratulations one is in the home stretch then. Stop the Bluetooth GPS application by disconnecting the receiver Port within the application and halt the program. If one doesn't exit out properly, the program will remain minimized and screw up connecting to their rocket tracking applications. Stick with it the T3 works very nicely.

One other thing to consider is to buy an external battery pack for your Android phone or tablet because you're going to be chewing through milliamp hours like crazy. One will have their screen turned up full blast so they'll be able to see it,
One's Bluetooth Port will need to be active, if one is controlling a deployment device over WiFi that's going to chew up power, plus running the phone. Consider the glare of the sun at the launch site because the screens on these devices can be very hard to see with the glare of the Sun. Simple remedy is a cardboard box that's somewhat deep so you can put your device in your receiver in, in order to shade the device. Kurt

Last edited:
I believe you need blinking lights on both Tx and Rx. At least when I turn mine on, the lights on both blink. And when your Rx pairs up with your Bluetooth, the little HC-06 module light on your Rx stops blinking and turns solid, then you are good to go.

Last edited:
I believe you need blinking lights on both Tx and Rx. At least when I turn mine on, the lights on both blink. And when your Rx pairs up with your Bluetooth, the little HC-06 module light on your Rx stops blinking and turns solid, then you are good to go.

Big Thanks! That's what I'd expect but is NOT what's happening on mine. Interestingly the B/T LEDs works as documented and goes solid when the Bluetooth GPS app connects.

So just to confirm I should see the large LEDs on the Tx and Rx blink even if my phone is off?

Back