The Missile Works T3 has been available for several months now...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought the $18.95 sled, not the harness mount.

Jim at Missileworks says he will replace the sled, he's the man!

I have been looking around for the Rocket Track app and I cant find anything but zip files and another where there are codes to download? Anything that I can just download directly on my phone and it will work. I already have Locator which I don't like and Bluetooth GPS I like and works great. I just want to try Rocket Track and have it as a back up.

Download the zip file to a PC, unzip and then email the apk file to your phone, will install automatically to a Gmail account. If no Gmail available, download and run the file.

I have been looking around for the Rocket Track app and I cant find anything but zip files and another where there are codes to download? Anything that I can just download directly on my phone and it will work. I already have Locator which I don't like and Bluetooth GPS I like and works great. I just want to try Rocket Track and have it as a back up.

I downloaded the zip file to my phone, opened the file and it installed automatically.

You need to unzip the file with a utility or have someone email you the .apk. I just downloaded it to a 'doze computer and unzipped out the .apk, connected up the phone and pushed the file to the phone and installed it there. Kurt

Last edited:
Tried that and my phone say "cannot open file"
Did you try what I suggested in post #33? And did you enable installation of third party apps (Settings > Security > Unknown Sources)?

Did you try what I suggested in post #33? And did you enable installation of third party apps (Settings > Security > Unknown Sources)?
Yes and unfortunately it still didn't work. My phone (old Samsung Galaxy s3) says "cannot open file"

Yes and unfortunately it still didn't work. My phone (old Samsung Galaxy s3) says "cannot open file"

Did you get the apk? If you can't get it, leave me a message with an email address and I'll send you the extracted .apk. I forgot about the "Unknown Sources" thing and that has to be checked like you said you did.
Some distros might no have unzip on it.

Another thing to consider, you might need a box to fit your phone or tablet in and paint the inside of the box with flat black spray paint. Unless you know your device is readable in glare, get a box to stuff it into so you can position it and you so
you can see the screen. Hint. Use a big enough box you can put your phone/tablet, extra battery and receive station into and cut out a thumb hole so you can hold it one handed. With your local GPS and B/T going full blast and your screen
set for maximal brightness, an outboard battery is just about required as you will draw down a stock internal battery pretty quickly. If your live downloading maptiles that's going to suck power too.

I actually prefer a 7 inch tablet or larger as they are easier to see. Again, I have 'em all in boxes so they can be seen in the sun. Heck, I started out with an appliance box for a full sized laptop for a stationary ground station plugged into
the 12V power of my vehicle for APRS rocket tracking years ago. Needless to say, that was NOT pedestrian portable to go out to the recovery site. Kurt

Last edited:
Hey Kurt, that works perfect now. Post that thing here for others like me. Thanks again!

Ummmmm, That's the problem TRF says the .apk is an invalid file. As an alternative, one can do what I did. Download the Rocket Track zip to a computer, unzip it and move it to your Android device/tablet.

View attachment 337457

So here is the zipfile again for anyone who wants it. Unzip on a computer and move to device. The utilities on my Droids ES Pro allows me to unzip and some folks machines might let them click on a zipfile of an .apk and
install in one click.
Oh, now I see why I didn't like RT on a small device. It doesn't display the three dots to control the app and I have to go into "Apps" and hit "Force stop" to kill the app. On my Droid tablets I have the full screen
of RT and do all the control from there. No biggie. Kurt

Wow, It just shouldn't be that difficult. Did I make a mistake in ordering one of these? It may not matter anyway the status of my order has been "processing" since Friday, everything I ordered was in stocK. Have enquired about when it will ship via email and voice message... Nada :(

Wow, It just shouldn't be that difficult. Did I make a mistake in ordering one of these? It may not matter anyway the status of my order has been "processing" since Friday, everything I ordered was in stocK. Have enquired about when it will ship via email and voice message... Nada :(

No mistake, the T3 is great.

It's finding the GPS translator that works best for You that takes a little effort. I like Rocket Locator, others don't. That's about the shape of it for any of the apps.

Also, missile works is a small.business with a busy proprietor, so give him a chance. When he can get to you, he will, and with great service.

Ordering a T3? No. You'll be fine as long as you use an Android device with an internal GPS you'll be o.k. Kurt

No mistake, the T3 is great.

It's finding the GPS translator that works best for You that takes a little effort. I like Rocket Locator, others don't. That's about the shape of it for any of the apps.

Also, missile works is a small.business with a busy proprietor, so give him a chance. When he can get to you, he will, and with great service.
+1
The T3 is a good product and MW is a good company. MW did not create the Android apps, they were created and distributed by others free of charge, so perhaps not surprising that the creators have moved on to other ventures. Both Rocket Locator and Rocket Track are working for most people, each is missing a feature or 2 we'd like to have, but both will get you to your rocket.

Remember Rocket Track takes a live internet connection to get the map displayed. GPSRL one can download maptiles in advance off Wifi at various zoomlevels and store them on their device. Only the Open Source Maps are available as google is gone.
If one has the room to download the tiles in advance, it could save them data charges. If a tile is missing, get it off the phone network.
If one has unlimited data doesn't matter but one needs reliable internet service at their launchsite for R.T. Kurt

I want my stuff immediately, too, but you will be fine. It took a week for MW to process my order. Once you receive your product, the included instructions will get you up and running. Remember, this thing costs just $150 because MW is not providing a post-processor for the GPS data. The comparable BRB900 package will cost you more than double that - and all you get are some basic, parsed NMEA text strings returned to you on the included receiver. You still need another GPS app/device/map to go find the rocket.

Bottom line, any of this GPS stuff requires practice with the hardware/software and tracking before you put it in the rocket. That's part of the fun for me.

Chill buddy! Jim has a full time job in addition to the Missileworks products. He offers great customer service & a great product to boot. You’ll get an email when it ships.

I believe it says somewhere on the website that he only fills orders once a week. Could be you just missed the previous week's day...happened to me on my last order. Jim will definitely come through with a primo product.

Jim has a full time job in addition to the Missileworks products. He offers great customer service & a great product to boot. You’ll get an email when it ships.

Unless it doesn't for some reason. Simply put if a business can't ship "in stock" product after a business day or two then they should provide notice. You disagree with that?

I believe it says somewhere on the website that he only fills orders once a week.

Could be, but it was not obvious when placing the order and there was nothing in the email saying it would take 3 business days to process even though I specifically asked about being advised of any delay in the order comments: "Please advise of any delay. Thx"

Unless it doesn't for some reason. Simply put if a business can't ship "in stock" product after a business day or two then they should provide notice. You disagree with that?

Well bless your heart. Fella like you would be happier doing knitting. Or scrapbooking. You can buy supplies for those off the Amazon. All kinds of notices and emails and such. And there ain't no fiddling required to make the yarn work. Fellas like you and Bayou Rat just ain't got the patience for this here rocketry thing.

Could be, but it was not obvious when placing the order and there was nothing in the email saying it would take 3 business days to process even though I specifically asked about being advised of any delay in the order comments: "Please advise of any delay. Thx"

Three business days isn’t what most of us would consider a delay. Jim has a full time job and still finds time to produce some very nice Rocketry electronics. Plus he’s a super good guy.

Steve Shannon

Three business days isn’t what most of us would consider a delay. Jim has a full time job and still finds time to produce some very nice Rocketry electronics. Plus he’s a super good guy.

Steve Shannon

I don't know Jim. That's why a simple comment in the order is appropriate. Different folks have different expectations.

Here's a crazy thought: maybe nobody has read the order notes yet because it's not batch processing day today. We're not talking SASE 6-8wks for delivery here.

Here's a crazy thought: maybe nobody has read the order notes yet because it's not batch processing day today. We're not talking SASE 6-8wks for delivery here.

You are making my point... Then why did I receive an email that the order was being "processed" if in fact it was not "batch processing day" (whatever that is)?

I want my stuff immediately, too, but you will be fine. It took a week for MW to process my order. Once you receive your product, the included instructions will get you up and running. Remember, this thing costs just $150 because MW is not providing a post-processor for the GPS data. The comparable BRB900 package will cost you more than double that - and all you get are some basic, parsed NMEA text strings returned to you on the included receiver. You still need another GPS app/device/map to go find the rocket.

Bottom line, any of this GPS stuff requires practice with the hardware/software and tracking before you put it in the rocket. That's part of the fun for me.

Ummmmm, Holee beJesus you're right on that part about practicing. I've diddled with a variety of D-I-Y tracking apps and if I haven't used them in awhile, I have to practice with them ad nauseum 1 to 2 weeks in advance (I'm an old guy) to make sure I'm acclimated to using them again. Same thing goes with the EggTimer TRS. If I haven't flown it for awhile, I have to fire up one of the reserve units I have and "practice" the technique with the rocket I am going to use. Sounds stupid but besides using a checklist, it's the best insurance of
a successful flight.... And OMG I've been successful with doing "less" preparation in the past than I should have and realized later I was extremely lucky a flight was nominal.

Oh BTW, I got one of I believe the earliest batch of the T3 and it works fine. I believe you folks will be "serviced" eventually and get product so don't worry.

The only unknown is how all the 900Mhz ISM devices will play together at a very large launch with large attendance.
EggFinders, T3's, the RTx GPS Telematics, "Kate from Multitronix", the old GPS tracking stuff for the Arts II and anything cobbled together on the ISM band.

If it gets rough with frequency/coding control outside of a club launch, get a Ham Technician License and go with the Beeline GPS Ham APRS
trackers on 70cm or there are some 2 meter Ham band trackers out there that could be used for rocket tracking. Hint: AP510 or AV5RT or
the PicoAPRS. Me, I do 'em all so's I got's options.

Ahhhhhh, I also have to add something here. If one wanted to GPS track 12 years ago, it would cost you $1000 to $1500, especially if you wanted to
go "unlicensed". I know 'cause I was there. One could save a bit of $$$$ going the Ham radio route. Hence that's how I acquired my callsign and a
second hobby. Lighten up please on the purveyor of goods and hope you never end up at a launch where everyone is running an ISM tracker. Kurt

Last edited:
Before I ordered my T3 system, I called and talked to Jim for 30-minutes. Very nice guy. He is very informative and helpful, so if you do not get an email, try using a little more personal line of communication and give him a call. My order did take more than a week before I received a ship notification, but I did get the note.

The last time I purchased anything from MissileWorks, Jim was selling military scale rocket kits... I picked up the Bull Pup kit. Too bad he is not producing rocket kits, as they were top quality back in the day.

Back