The Missile Works T3 has been available for several months now...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jahall4

Reaction score
... Is there a current thread out there somewhere about its use, success, failures, etc… I understand you have to obtain separately software (Android in my case) to read the stream of coordinates coming off the Rx via Bluetooth. Does anyone have specific recommendations along with detailed step-by-step to get all that setup?

I have a T3, it works as it should, not hard to set up. You need to download Rocket Locator, a free app in the Play Store. Only problem is that it is not working with Google Maps, so no satellite view, have to use Open Street Maps. The T3 will lead you to your rocket but that's about it, no data downloads, no altimeter.

There's been plenty of discussion of the T3 here on TRF, e.g.,
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...s-like-a-new-GPS-tracker-on-Missle-Works-site
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...out-tracking-app-quot-GPS-Rocket-Locator-quot

I have a T3, it works as it should, not hard to set up. You need to download Rocket Locator, a free app in the Play Store. Only problem is that it is not working with Google Maps, so no satellite view, have to use Open Street Maps. The T3 will lead you to your rocket but that's about it, no data downloads, no altimeter.

There's been plenty of discussion of the T3 here on TRF, e.g.,
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...s-like-a-new-GPS-tracker-on-Missle-Works-site
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...out-tracking-app-quot-GPS-Rocket-Locator-quot

Thanks, Jim told me the app had to do the logging which means you could have gaps, but as you point out there does not appear to be real good software support.

The app that was built for the Rocket Track system will also work with the T3. I still use it with my RTx system and Google maps works with it
(not off-line). It hasn't been updated in a few years but still points you to the rocket. Download it from the link in the thread and side-load it, it's not in the play store.

-brant

I like mine, I bought a second rocket transmitter. The T3 has saved me a few times. Never had a tracking failure during a flight.

I've had good signal 1.5 miles straight up, and up to a mile horizontally (haven't tried any farther). I've seen loss of signal due to terrain, but it reconnects once you get closer to having line of sight.

I've been using the Blue GPS app and "log" the current coordinates by snapping a pic of the screen every so often. Effective, but not elegant. I punch the GPS coordinates into a real GPS.

Rocket Locator app was junk for me. The few times I got it to connect it crashed while using it. Blue GPS has been reliable. I never got the BT to PC connection to work, but didn't try very hard.

I've recently added a Featherweight magnetic switch which I think will be handy.

abfcc77e-6ecd-43a7-8f94-496989f271a5-o.jpg

Last edited:
I like mine, I bought a second rocket transmitter. The T3 has saved me a few times. Never had a tracking failure during a flight.

I've had good signal 1.5 miles straight up, and up to a mile horizontally (haven't tried any farther). I've seen loss of signal due to terrain, but it reconnects once you get closer to having line of sight.

I've been using the Blue GPS app and "log" the current coordinates by snapping a pic of the screen every so often. Effective, but not elegant. I punch the GPS coordinates into a real GPS.

Rocket Locator app was junk for me. The few times I got it to connect it crashed while using it. Blue GPS has been reliable. I never got the BT to PC connection to work, but didn't try very hard.

I've recently added a Featherweight magnetic switch which I think will be handy.

Thx, good info. You problems are the dark side of these piecemeal approaches I was assured both the recommended apps would work. We'll see.

The app that was built for the Rocket Track system will also work with the T3. I still use it with my RTx system and Google maps works with it
(not off-line). It hasn't been updated in a few years but still points you to the rocket. Download it from the link in the thread and side-load it, it's not in the play store.

-brant

Thanks very much, Brant, I downloaded Rocket Track and it does seem to be working with my T3, and with Google maps. The odd thing is that, after I tested Rocket Track, I tried Rocket Locator, which had been working fines except for the Google maps issue. But tonight it's not working at all, it pairs with the T3 but does not locate the rocket, the map just hovers over Africa.

Rocket Locator is working, just had to go to Settings to give it permission to access location data.

Also, my post #2 above is incorrect. Rocket Locator does give you apogee and downloadable flight path maps.

Thanks very much, Brant, I downloaded Rocket Track and it does seem to be working with my T3, and with Google maps. The odd thing is that, after I tested Rocket Track, I tried Rocket Locator, which had been working fines except for the Google maps issue. But tonight it's not working at all, it pairs with the T3 but does not locate the rocket, the map just hovers over Africa.

Don't get snared by the indoor tracking trap. Your device has to have a good GPS lock in order for GPS rocket locator to work. I tried rocket track when it came out and it was very buggy. Perhaps using it on a newer ROM would help for me. Kurt

Thanks for the tip. Ive been having trouble with Rocket Locator also and I was wondering if BT GPS app would work better.

Could you please specify what you mean by Blue GPS? I searched for it in Play store but nothing with that name came up. However, there are about 5 apps called Bluetooth GPS, is it one of those?

Don't get snared by the indoor tracking trap. Your device has to have a good GPS lock in order for GPS rocket locator to work. I tried rocket track when it came out and it was very buggy. Perhaps using it on a newer ROM would help for me. Kurt
Is obtaining a GPS lock a function of the phone or the app, or both? I would have guessed that it is up to the phone's GPS hardware to obtain a lock, and the app just reports what the GPS receiver sees. If so, we shouldn't blame the app. Anyhow, I've had my T3 for over a month and hope to fly it soon, will try all available apps and report results.

Could you please specify what you mean by Blue GPS? I searched for it in Play store but nothing with that name came up. However, there are about 5 apps called Bluetooth GPS, is it one of those?

I think he means this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=googoo.android.btgps&hl=en

You have to allow "Mock GPS locations" and have an internet connection on your device to get it to work. It only shows where your rocket went and doesn't do navigation for you.

Kurt

I've been using the version of Rocket Track that's on the thread i linked in my post for over three years now because i found it more reliable and less buggy than rocket locator. I guess everyone's experience is different. There are a few improvements i'd like to see still, hopefully someone will pick it back up soon. I saw last year that bdureau released a modified version of the code that will compile with Android studio - if that's helpful. I used Rocket Track all last year with my RTx (as back up to the built in tracking) and didn't have a problem with it - that's two different systems I've used it with.

I have the T3 and have experimented around and gotten my process pretty much down using Rocket Locator.

Here's what I do (no apps open at first, make sure Bluetooth is on)
-Power up transmitter (rocket unit) (make sure antenna whip is straight)
-Power up receiver (base unit)
-Pair phone to T3 (ie, enter pin) (*note, if it pairs automatically upon startup, I will unpair->find devices->pair device. Just seems to keep things fresh in the system)
-Open up Rocket Locator
-(in rocket locator) use Open Street Maps to verify phone location (blue dot)
-Listen for beeps from app, and watch for solid Bluetooth module LED on receiver
----If no beeps/steady light, then (in rocket locator) settings->restart BlueGPS
-Verify transmitter location (red pin). There's a white line connecting the pin and your dot

Go fly!
**Don't let the GPS block face the rail**

Just from my own usings,
I don't really like the radar beep function.
I prefer to have it set to "Follow me" so the map is centered on my phone, and the rocket line acts as a path to follow.

I've been using my T3 with Rocket Locator. The first weekend I selected google as the map source. It was very slow and I had to select download maps, but by the end of the two days, I had almost the full set of satellite photos in my gallery and it now used the satellite photos with the app.

I like the "Show last Pos" feature in Rocket Locator. I can pull the last rocket location up weeks later if I want. It's not dependent on having updates. So if you run your phone battery down, or shut off the app or receiver for some reason, or have to come back days later, you can still call up that last position.

I had a flight where I left the receiver on the table when I went after the rocket. The rocket was about 150 ft from where the last pos was showing. The next time I brought the receiver along and it was within a couple of feet of the rocket by the time I crawled through the corn. I'm sure both were not receiving GPS at the flight line with the rocket on the ground, but taking the receiver along allowed it to reacquire and zero in on the actual position.

I'm a huge fan of the dependable Walston RDF system our club has, but this might win me over. Still not sure if it's as dependable as the RDF, but time will tell. If you don't have access to a RDF system, by all means, use the T3.

I've got no complaints at all about the T3 or the Rocket Locator app.

I think he means this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=googoo.android.btgps&hl=en

You have to allow "Mock GPS locations" and have an internet connection on your device to get it to work. It only shows where your rocket went and doesn't do navigation for you.

Kurt

Yes, that's the one. Sorry for the confusion.

FWIW, I'm an iphone user, so I got an old android OS phone just for tracking. After downloading the Bluetooth GPS app on wifi I now use the T3 routinely with Bluetooth GPS with no internet connection. YMMV. I'll either punch the coordinates into my Garmin GPS or my Gaia iphone gps app for navigating.

Yes, that's the one. Sorry for the confusion.

FWIW, I'm an iphone user, so I got an old android OS phone just for tracking. After downloading the Bluetooth GPS app on wifi I now use the T3 routinely with Bluetooth GPS with no internet connection. YMMV. I'll either punch the coordinates into my Garmin GPS or my Gaia iphone gps app for navigating.

You can download the Open Source Maps and cache them on your device for tracking off line. Kurt

Today I used Rocket Track with the launch of my T3 on a T3 modular sled (https://www.missileworks.com/store/#!/T3-Modular-Sled-System/p/95158879/category=25679088). Rocket Track worked but there was a problem. The sled broke and the T3 went loose in the nose cone. The sled was bolted to the NC bulkhead. Was this an improper way to mount it or did I get a defective sled? Can I epoxy the sled back together?

That's not good I just ordered a T3 including the sled. Any idea how it broke?

That's not good I just ordered a T3 including the sled. Any idea how it broke?

Ummmmmm, please understand, not to be snide, It snapped off the base. A press-fit chunk of plywood or G10/12 likely wouldn't do that as long as the T3/EggFinder
or what-have-you is securely mounted. I suspect if it didn't hit the ground hard, an overly aggressive ejection threw it to the end of an overly strong harness and
it broke at the base. The only other thing would be a defective piece of substrate was used to make the sled.

As an aside, I downloaded Rocket Track, fired it up and it just sits there. I believe one needs to have the tracker working, the receive station connected, paired a good satellite lock and one needs a live internet connection to download the map tiles live.

Where I go, the internet connection stinks and a system that can be run independently of outside sources is necessary.

I'll diddle with it again once I charge up some batteries as I did have it running in the past except I didn't have a device with a remote live internet connection so I discarded it at that time. If it live loads google maptiles with an internet link, might be worth looking into again. Kurt

not to be snide, It snapped off the base. A press-fit chunk of plywood or G10/12 likely wouldn't do that as long as the T3/EggFinder
or what-have-you is securely mounted. I suspect if it didn't hit the ground hard, an overly aggressive ejection threw it to the end of an overly strong harness and
it broke at the base. The only other thing would be a defective piece of substrate was used to make the sled.
You can be as snide as you'd like Kurt, I just need to know if I did something wrong before I ask Missileworks for a replacement. Landing was OK, did not see the ejection. I've flown this rocket several times before without incident. Previously, I used a Telemetrum on a plywood sled glued to a cardboard tube that ran through the all-thread rod. This sled does not have a tube that could go through a rod. It does have a hole in the bottom of the base, which I assumed was for a bolt to be attached to a bulkhead. I don't think the sled came with mounting instructions. The Missileworks page mentions an optional "Mounting Spacer for nosecone mounted bulkhead attachment (+$2.95)" which I did not order, not clear to me what it's for. Perhaps something to cushion the base against shock?

Last edited:
As an aside, I downloaded Rocket Track, fired it up and it just sits there. I believe one needs to have the tracker working, the receive station connected, paired a good satellite lock and one needs a live internet connection to download the map tiles live.

Where I go, the internet connection stinks and a system that can be run independently of outside sources is necessary.

I'll diddle with it again once I charge up some batteries as I did have it running in the past except I didn't have a device with a remote live internet connection so I discarded it at that time. If it live loads google maptiles with an internet link, might be worth looking into again. Kurt
My Rocket Track loads the map even with the T3 TX and RX turned off. When I fire it up, it opens on the Console page and asks with which paired device it should connect. I pressed the T3 RX and of course it said "failed to connect" since the RX was off. Then clicked on Map and the Google Map appeared.

I do not see any way to download map tiles, there's nothing similar to the Download Map function on Rocket Locator. If only someone could combine the best of Rocket Track and Rocket Locator, we'd be in business.

Last edited:
I ground tested my T3 with Rocket Track yesterday at our LPR field. We have strong cell service there and at our HPR field. I left the transmitter on my chair and walked around about 600-700 feet away.

There are three tabs at the top, CONSOLE, MAP and COMPASS

When I start it up and go to the MAP tab, it downloads the satellite images and orients them so the direction I'm facing is at the top of the screen.
The MAPS tab also shows LAT, LON, Bearing, distance to the rocket, current altitude and max altitude. And since the satellite images are in the background, those are readable.
It also shows my location and the location of the rocket with a line between the two.

The compass tab shows a compass dial. The direction of the rocket is shown with a green mark and numbers showing distance. All you have to do is turn so the green mark/distance is at the top of the screen and start walking. The distance will tick down as you get closer.
This tab also shows current heading, lat, lon, and altitude of the phone. # of satellites, accuracy in meters, heading to the rocket and the date and time of the last fix.

The CONSOLE tab shows the packets as the phone receives them.

I disconnected the battery on the transmitter to simulate signal loss. Rocket Track held the last position.

This ground test made me feel much better about the ability to track my rockets. Rocket Locator was glitchy. it would orient my phone almost 160 degrees off, meaning if I started walking in the direction it was showing me, I would be moving in almost completely the opposite direction of my rocket. I'd have to walk in a big circle to figure out which way to go to get closer to my rocket. Since the satellite shots wouldn't download, the white lettering showing stats on the rocket were unreadable, especially in the bright sunlight. And it would sometimes close unexpectedly.

The only complaint I have with Rocket track is I can't zoom out on the map page. If my rocket lands a decent distance away, I can't see on the map where it actually landed until I get closer. That's not a big issue since I can see where I am, the line to my rocket in an accurate direction, and the distance. And the compass screen is there as a viable alternate.

My Rocket Track loads the map even with the T3 TX and RX turned off. When I fire it up, it opens on the Console page and asks with which paired device it should connect. I pressed the T3 RX and of course it said "failed to connect" since the RX was off. Then clicked on Map and the Google Map appeared.

I do not see any way to download map tiles, there's nothing similar to the Download Map function on Rocket Locator. If only someone could combine the best of Rocket Track and Rocket Locator, we'd be in business.

I would ask for a replacement of the sled. If they balk, send them a picture of your rocket and the way it was installed in your rocket. Simply, if your rocket had a safe recovery, that sled shouldn't have broken. I suspect they'll send you a replacement.

With GPS Rocket Locator, fire it up, hit the three dots on the upper right to active the pull down. Hit "map provider" to pull up the two choices. Google Maps doesn't work anymore so hit Open Street Map. The map and your position will come up if you
have a position. Now go back to the upper right and activate the three dots on the upper right to get the pull down and select "Download Map". You'll see the thing downloading. It helps to have a fast internet link. Sometimes the program hangs at the very
end but nothing gets broke. Just kill it and start again. One can download a variety of zoomlevels of their launch site(s) for offline use. It saves on the data bill if one downloads the tiles in advance. I don't think Rocket Track can do that but like
I said, I haven't used it in a long time.

Ok, Stupidhead here has his N7 2013 next to him today and I remembered I stuck Rocket Track on it. I fired it up and yes it sits at the "pairing" screen but I was able to ditch the screen and yup it uses Google maps. It must have some sort of compass mode
'cause the screen seems "jittery". I like to position the screen the way I want and walk it but that's just my idiosyncrasy. I do think if one wants a live photomap, this is the app to use except perhaps understand there might be data requirements.

Will see if it caches the tiles. If so it will be my new best Android tracking app and the only one that can use the photomap tiles with a pure NMEA tracking device. If it doesn't cache, well it will be the only photo map app one can use as long as they
have a connection to the Net. If one has a liberal data plan, not so bad. The key is service at ones launch site. Kurt

Last edited:
Thanks for the link to Rocket Track. I now have all three apps - Rocket Locator, Bluetooth GPS, and Rocket Track - and ground tested them all. I agree, Locator is the most flakey and hardest to read, but it does save the log file and the track file. I wonder if there is a way to save the log file of the other two apps or write it out to a virtual serial port for a laptop terminal connection.

Anyway, I tend to write the lat/lon in a notebook for backup and then punch the coordinates into a real GPS handheld, like my Garmin. So, the easiest to read lat/long gets my vote as the best.

Weeeeellllllllllll, I'm going to give RT a go. GPSRL I agree can be flaky and I put up with it though I have had much better luck with an HC-05 B/T module with my
Nexus 7's. GPSRL seems to be working better for me. I went ahead with Rocket Track to try and see if it caches tiles but it appears it doesn't so it needs a live link.

I got a FreedomPop sim in my N7 2013 LTE with about 5.5Gigs of rollover I certainly could tap. Yeah I know all the BS quirks with FP and it's o,k. with me.

Thanks for pointing out Rocket Track again as I wrote it off in the past. I didn't have a device with a phone sim in it at the time. I did do a successful recovery with GPSRL without maps and had to triapse through a field of obstacles to make the two icons "come together". I swore never again after that when I realized I could have driven onroad, taken a short walk and picked the rocket up. This was before GPSRL could cache maps and I was
stuck with a Nexus 7 2013 Wifi only, the "Flo" version.

I like to have "backup" in several forms so RT is going on my devices now. If GPSRL gets flaky, (though it hasn't for me in a long while) I can fire up Rocket Track as I now have sims in a couple of tablets.

Many times when I've tested out GPSRL I've used a receiver with the BT module epoxied on the outside:
IMG_20180128_222746.jpg

After it's paired to an Android device, the LED stops flashing for a moment and then starts flashing again. I fire up GPS Rocket Locator and
point it to the NMEA receiver and when it connects, the LED goes solid. Sometimes the "connecting" part takes time but
if there is a good satellite lock on both ends GPS Rocket Locator fires up quickly. Then again, Murphy can sometimes set in and I haven't
had that happen during a launch but I have experienced it with testing at home. Rocket Track for me is a good backup and for some might
be a primary app as long as they have internet access at their site. If they don't, it won't paint maps. Kurt

Last edited:
Today I used Rocket Track with the launch of my T3 on a T3 modular sled (https://www.missileworks.com/store/#!/T3-Modular-Sled-System/p/95158879/category=25679088). Rocket Track worked but there was a problem. The sled broke and the T3 went loose in the nose cone. The sled was bolted to the NC bulkhead. Was this an improper way to mount it or did I get a defective sled? Can I epoxy the sled back together?

Is that the harness mounted sleeve or something else. Not sure what we're looking at!

Back