Camera selection

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy,

Am slowly building a 4" Fiberglass Dominator G2 from Madcow for my L2 launch. UROC has announced a St. Paddy Day launch, so I need to get it done! Have started looking at cameras but would like to have some input prior to purchase.

Thanks for the advice, input and comments.

Am slowly building a 4" Fiberglass Dominator G2 from Madcow for my L2 launch. UROC has announced a St. Paddy Day launch, so I need to get it done! Have started looking at cameras but would like to have some input prior to purchase.

Question is a big vague. Camera to capture the flight from the ground? Or a camera to fly on the rocket? Assuming the latter, looking for a downward view, or out the side? What sort of price ballpark are you looking for?

There are a ton of options, from flying "real" (expensive) action-cams (GoPro & Sony have ones that'll do 720p/240fps or 1080p/120fps and perhaps 240 in the latest gen?), to the 808 camera which costs ~$5-40 depending on who you buy it from (and generally speaking you get what you pay for on those I've heard, don't buy the really cheap ones). 808 and Mobius cameras are the most popular ones I think, there are a few sizes of Mobius now, the original is 1080p/30, the newer ones are /60, and you can buy really nice mounts from members on this forum, either 3D-printed ones that attach purely to the outside or a unit that mostly mounts inside and just has a small 'cone' that the lens faces out. 'course some people just tape the camera to the side of their rocket. Heck, you can even just fly a cell phone camera if you have an old/cheap one sitting around.

I've flown the original Mobius a bunch of times, more recently I've come to like the Hawkeye Firefly Q6, bit cheaper than the Mobius and it does 1080p/60. Bit bigger than the original Mobius but I've been happy with it. Not aware of any commercial shrouds for the Q6, so I've only flown it electrical-taped to the airframe so far. Videos from each are in my signature link / youtube page.

Personally, something I'd like to try but I'm waiting for them to get down to a more reasonable size is to fly one of these 360° cameras, so that you could look up or down or out to the side. But I'll be waiting a while on that one I think.

Sorry for being vague, camera to fly on the rocket.
I am thinking downward for this one, as for price, guess it would depend on what features and such.
Thanks for the info, as it helps me get started in knowing what I am looking for.

I use Replay XD 1080 Mini or Replay PrimeX. You can buy them used off of Ebay for about $100 and $200 respectively. They are cylindrical in shape, so they are much more aerodynamic than a lot of units out there. The metal case also makes them tough, and gives you more mounting options. The pic is from my Mach 2.0 flight to 18K ft at Airfest. The onboard video is great.

IMG_0802.jpg

I use the original mobius which currently sells for around $65. You can easily fly it in an external shroud or in an internal shroud (Ravenex). Both shrouds point the lens downward. The internal shroud minimizes drag and offers more camera protection; however, it is more expensive. I have been very pleased with the original mobius and its wide angle lens (C2 lens). See the attached still photo derived from a mobius video mounted on a 4 inch diameter rocket via an external shroud.

Fred, L2
member of ICBM
KG4YGP

Rogue apogee photo.PNGRogue apogee photo.PNG

Back