NAR JR L1 questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockets

Reaction score
I'm looking to get my NAR membership again. I'm also hoping to my Jr. L1 at a WSR launch, but I have some questions:

Can I fly a rocket that my brother built and has flown, and use it as my Jr. L1 rocket?

Do I need to do anything special at the field with my rocket, like someone watching me prep my rocket for my L1 flight?

Thanks,

I'm looking to get my NAR membership again. I'm also hoping to my Jr. L1 at a WSR launch, but I have some questions:

Can I fly a rocket that my brother built and has flown, and use it as my Jr. L1 rocket?

That would violate NAR guidelines:
"The junior member attempting his Jr HPP qualification must build the rocket that they wish to use for their qualifying attempt"

https://www.nar.org/high-power-rocketry-info/formal-participation-procedure/

Do I need to do anything special at the field with my rocket, like someone watching me prep my rocket for my L1 flight?

Not really, but do ask whomever will be signing off on your cert flight, as they might have a few questions.
Also, some clubs' RSOs ask to observe your cert motor assembly, to help you from screwing it up. Others trust you to do it on your own. Ask first.

Good luck,
a

Can you come to one of our meetings? WSR meets every Tuesday night from 6 to 8:30 at eRockets. We help people with certification attempts all the time.

We help people build motors at the launch. We will let you build the motor, but offer advice as you go. We have an onsite Aerotech vendor at our launches; he's the club president. If you need something specific you should ask ahead of time. And you need to bring the certification paperwork with you.

Please note that we have had to cancel the last two high power launches due to field conditions. We moved last Saturday's launch to our low power field. The next launch is scheduled for February 3rd. We hope to have it at the high power field.

That would violate NAR guidelines:
"The junior member attempting his Jr HPP qualification must build the rocket that they wish to use for their qualifying attempt"

https://www.nar.org/high-power-rocketry-info/formal-participation-procedure/

Not really, but do ask whomever will be signing off on your cert flight, as they might have a few questions.
Also, some clubs' RSOs ask to observe your cert motor assembly, to help you from screwing it up. Others trust you to do it on your own. Ask first.

Good luck,
a

Actually, junior fliers cannot handle HPR motors at all. Their mentor must assemble and install it, although an RSO might ask the flier to tell the mentor how to do so.

Back