Anyone impacted by the government shutdown?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
I know most of you won't notice at all, unless you were planning to visit a national park or something. As for me, I will be on forced vacation until this is resolved. I am a contractor, so no back pay for me, either. Hoping they resolve this before my paid leave runs out. Meanwhile, Trump and Congress are exempt and continue to get paid.

Have to wait for tomorrow to see for me, I work for a government contractor, supposedly we have funding for a month or so. But without DoE oversight who kbows what will get done.

My brother in law is a ranger at Salinas Missions National Monument in New Mexico. He has already had some interesting stories to tell.

I tried to report a spam phone call today to the Do Not Call registry and saw this:

Relatively minor stuff relative to the OP.

Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 2.51.49 PM.jpg

I drive in the DC area, so the shutdown makes my commute a lot nicer.

My sister is with Forestry at Mt Ranier, she works and finds out later f she gets paid.

I'm in a similar boat with Rharsh.

At least I don't have to stress over presenting to the Program Office on Wednesday anymore lol

My son goes to college on an ROTC scholarship. He was notified by the bursar that the government is not processing any scholarships so if the impasse isn’t resolved, he personally owes the full amount. He was a little freaked out but we talked him down when we explained that it will all end when Congress is done with their tantrum.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

My son goes to college on an ROTC scholarship. He was notified by the bursar that the government is not processing any scholarships so if the impasse isn’t resolved, he personally owes the full amount. He was a little freaked out but we talked him down when we explained that it will all end when Congress is done with their tantrum.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

As someone that used to be a kid relying on scholarships myself, I bet I can imagine his gutwrench moment.

Being an outsider, and not really fully understanding the cause and the reasons, I find it strange that a wholly unrelated 'issue' (clause / statement / whatever ..) can interfere with a budget call.. kinda thought these things would have better rules attached so that the 'subject' is about the subject at hand.

(Isn't this kinda like me buying a loaf of bread, and the casher won't accept my payment because I'm wearing a purple hat?!)

I'm gonna go look it up later today..

Wasn't just ROTC issues. Active infantry in Army had NCO and advanced training gutted. This training is offered to select soldiers that have performed multiple tours with excellent performance. Word from a friend is it screws up his promotion and training. My stepdad at TVA has no issues on the other hand. No one in government wanted to kill the lights, there would be massive riots if people couldn't recharge iPhones these days.

I work for a contractor at JRTC, we are plugging along unaffected. We are still training soldiers, soldiers manning the gates and so on. They likely won't paid which is a pretty bad; we will still draw our checks however. I was told the hospital on post shut down but that seems unlikely. Its all a joke, just not a funny one. And to keep me from getting fired up and ruining my day I'll stop there. Lol.

Very mildly impacted. My wife is working through some rather important paperwork with significant financial impact (very stressful) but the the people that need to process it are non-essential.

We're not terribly concerned, because she got her paperwork mailed in time, but the processing of it will be delayed. And performed by grumpier-than-usual folks.

Just got a worrying email that SLI could be negatively affected if NASA doesn't get funding. Kind of annoying because this years Notre Dame team is looking pretty good compared to years past. The email leaves more questions than answers. Fortunately for me it does not affect my job.

So if the gub'ment is shut down that means they don't need to collect any FICA right? I can dream can't I?

Being an outsider, and not really fully understanding the cause and the reasons, I find it strange that a wholly unrelated 'issue' (clause / statement / whatever ..) can interfere with a budget call.. kinda thought these things would have better rules attached so that the 'subject' is about the subject at hand.

(Isn't this kinda like me buying a loaf of bread, and the casher won't accept my payment because I'm wearing a purple hat?!)

I'm gonna go look it up later today..

The "unrelated" issues all need money and manpower (so more money) to resolve. That's the connection to the budget.

Green team says: "We want to fund X, but won't support A"
Yellow team says: "We need to fund A, so we'll work with you on X, but now we won't do Y"
Green team says: "But we won't support A......"

Not sure about green versus yellow, but here's my favorite green versus purple scene, from Babylon 5:

[video=youtube;AcBTOU7RvbU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcBTOU7RvbU[/video]

Yes, CLASSIC !

Also:

mine's bigger.jpg

Well, no rocket launches from the Cape, Vandenberg, or pretty much any other US government related launch sites.

SpaceX's Falcon Heavy rocket was scheduled to have its many-time delayed Static Firing on Monday. But due to the shutdown, key USAF 45th Space Wing range personnel are furloughed (they effectively "run" the Cape operations). And even for a Static Firing, parts of the range have to be closed off by security, and emergency crews on standby in case of an accident (such as the AMOS-6 pad explosion shortly before a planned static firing. Or even as simple as a static firing casing a fire in nearby foliage/woods, which indeed has happened before).

Ahh, yes, OK, now I get it.. that's how we see it..

I like how Nytrunner put it.

Imagine the parents of some very petulant children give the oldest, who is supposedly the leader, some money to buy treats but they have to be back home in 30 minutes. Half of the children want ice cream and half want candy, but there isn't enough time to go to both the ice cream store and the candy store, so something is going to have to give. The children whine and complain that the others won't give them what they want, so they end up going nowhere.

Then the parents hear the commotion, give them a little more money and time so all of them get what they want... but they still complain afterwards.

THAT is how Congress works down here!

How is it...

That a government...

Which produces absolutely...

NOTHING...

Has such an effect...

Think about it people...

How is it...

That a government...

Which produces absolutely...

NOTHING...

Has such an effect...

Think about it people...

It is not true that they do not create anything.

They do create a great deal of chaos, as well as self wealth.

Just a reminder:

Lets try and keep this about personal impacts of the shutdown and not turn it into a bash-the-gov politico thread.

Besides, the shutdown may be over soon

Back