Legality

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Gary,

You wrote, "When I mentor someone on motor making, I have my own set of requirements that they must meet before I will even enter into a discussion with them about this aspect of the hobby.

As a very small time research motor maker (its been so long ago that we were still calling them EX-Motors) I would love to hear your set of requirements. A good list could be very helpful for lots of us to think about for ourselves getting into (or back into) research motor making. And as a TAP member, this might be helpful for a lot of us too as TAP is not only about L-3 certifications.

Brad, the "Rocket Rev.," Wilson

Am I the only one who noticed the grammar and syntax in the message of the OP, in addition to the fact they have only had 2 posts (both in this thread)?

I guess I am a cynic and not a very trusting person, but I have my doubts about giving any information to this or any other person who is not known by others in our online social media group of rocket enthusiasts.

If they come to a NAR and/or Tripoli club and launch a few rockets and THEN ask me these questions I'll answer them based upon what I observe in the field.

Others will base their information disclosure decisions on a different criteria as they see fit, this just happens to be my criteria.

+1 Sorry OP you can find alot of information on NAR, tripolis website and find a club aswell. Can't really know who is asking this kind of information and if their is another intent for it.

Brad,

Below is part of an email I sent to a local flier that wanted to get into HPR and start making his own motors what seemed to be to be almost immediately. I don't post a lot here, but this thread struck a chord with me. Read on:

Regarding motor making, you must be TRA Level 2 to launch any Research motor. If you are going to get into motor making, you will need a mentor to get you started. This is not required, but your ultimate success & safety depends on someone showing you the correct way to process APCP. I have no problem being your mentor, but I have some requirements that are above & beyond what TRA specifies:

- Minimum TRA Level 2 certification and would prefer that you be TRA Level 3
- Minimum of (6) successful dual deploy flights
- Minimum of (2) K class and (2) L class motors flown with successful flight & recovery
- Minimum successful launch & recovery of (2) rockets to 7500 feet AGL or higher
- Read and understand the book "Experimental Composite Propellant" by Terry McCreary, PHD.
- I must know you personally

I have implemented these personal requirements because of the attention to detail that Research motor making requires. If a flier has successfully demonstrated that he/she understands all of the complexities of high impulse dual deploy flights, then they will have no issues making motors.

I hope that you want to get into Research motor making as a normal progression in the hobby and not to save money. The rigor, time, & money (equipment, chemicals, instrumentation, etc) required to make your own motors would allow you to purchase a lot of commercial reloads……. I have invested a lot of money and time into this aspect of the hobby and can help you avoid the pitfalls that I have experienced. The only thrill greater than launching a scratch-built rocket on a Research motor is seeing one of the people I have mentored do the same. I put all of this out there not to deter you, but to ensure your safety, success, and enjoyment in this phase of HPR.

I added the last item because I have zero idea who this fellow is or what his experience level is. It seemed to me that he is a LPR novice at best. You can tell a lot about folks in this hobby by hanging around them. I do not want to mentor someone that is not detail-oriented or haphazard in their daily routines. Just me and the way I approach this. Besides, one slightly off-center person in the equation is enough; we do not need two! :wink:

Go ahead, edit and criticize to your heart's content. I am happy with this approach and I think it is paying dividends.......

What is the reasoning for the rule "- Minimum successful launch & recovery of (2) rockets to 7500 feet AGL or higher" ?

It's my arbitrary based on the flights we would expect to see at an average launch whether commercial or Research. I am simply using it as a point of reference, right or wrong. YMMV.....

Brad,

Below is part of an email I sent to a local flier that wanted to get into HPR and start making his own motors what seemed to be to be almost immediately. I don't post a lot here, but this thread struck a chord with me. Read on:

Regarding motor making, you must be TRA Level 2 to launch any Research motor. If you are going to get into motor making, you will need a mentor to get you started. This is not required, but your ultimate success & safety depends on someone showing you the correct way to process APCP. I have no problem being your mentor, but I have some requirements that are above & beyond what TRA specifies:

- Minimum of (2) K class and (2) L class motors flown with successful flight & recovery
- Minimum successful launch & recovery of (2) rockets to 7500 feet AGL or higher
- Read and understand the book "Experimental Composite Propellant" by Terry McCreary, PHD.

I have implemented these personal requirements because of the attention to detail that Research motor making requires. If a flier has successfully demonstrated that he/she understands all of the complexities of high impulse dual deploy flights, then they will have no issues making motors.

I hope that you want to get into Research motor making as a normal progression in the hobby and not to save money. The rigor, time, & money (equipment, chemicals, instrumentation, etc) required to make your own motors would allow you to purchase a lot of commercial reloads……. I have invested a lot of money and time into this aspect of the hobby and can help you avoid the pitfalls that I have experienced. The only thrill greater than launching a scratch-built rocket on a Research motor is seeing one of the people I have mentored do the same. I put all of this out there not to deter you, but to ensure your safety, success, and enjoyment in this phase of HPR.

I added the last item because I have zero idea who this fellow is or what his experience level is. It seemed to me that he is a LPR novice at best. You can tell a lot about folks in this hobby by hanging around them. I do not want to mentor someone that is not detail-oriented or haphazard in their daily routines. Just me and the way I approach this. Besides, one slightly off-center person in the equation is enough; we do not need two! :wink:

Go ahead, edit and criticize to your heart's content. I am happy with this approach and I think it is paying dividends.......

I think it makes perfect sense. No criticism from me.

Brad,

Spot on Gary
This type of approach is what keeps our hobby progressing in a safe, fun and fulfilling manner

One of my top rules before I mentor anyone.....No a$$holes. If I don't like them, they don't get help from me.

DinoAP, Gary, et al:
Thanks for all the good info and references. I'm not currently interested in Research motors, but who knows what the future holds. I have ordered a copy of "Experimental Composite Propellants" as it seems to contain good info, and not just about Research motors.

Back