Excelsior! The 3/4 scale Nike Smoke[Success flew today!!!]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Report:
Clear sunny morning. They just got flight in before weather turned to crap, early afternoon.
Calm on ground, wind at 10,000 was 67mph.

Ignition was with one of my Boron igniter cast pellets [4grams] lit with e-match. Instant on, for a 6in. motor!
Straight flight to 17,000 ft. Burn time around 11 sec.
Apogee event spot on.
When main opened fincan was horizontal, shock load of opening sheared off Y-harness at edge of tube. Fell to ground where 2 fins snapped off.
NC/payload & electronics drifted to edge of field...landing in first tree. Just missed clear landing. Motor case OK.

More data after electronics down load.
Congrats in order to Manny & Steve, for putting on a great show!
Considered great success, this was all about the motor.:smile:

[video=youtube;Iba55k1O-Yg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iba55k1O-Yg[/video]

Steve & Manny pad side.

IMG_4133.jpg

Amazing!

I may have missed it but I assume this is an ex motor of mannys? Any details on its size, expected Ns, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Congrats on the great flight. Sorry we didn't get a chance to film it at PMW field a couple of weeks ago. On a sad related, note, I heard PMW lost their field here in Central Alabama. Fields with decent waivers are getting hard to find in the Southeast.

Congrats to both of you. Awesome build thread and flight. Haven't seen either of you in far too long, glad you are near enough to be able to work together. Synergy.

Sather

Congrats on the great flight. Sorry we didn't get a chance to film it at PMW field a couple of weeks ago. On a sad related, note, I heard PMW lost their field here in Central Alabama. Fields with decent waivers are getting hard to find in the Southeast.
Yeah, sore subject about that. Pmw was a wonderful field.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Back