Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Eggtimer LCD Flash help.

I thought I was doing well..but not joy.

My LCD is an old one with VER 1.09D

I'm following these directions http://www.eggtimerrocketry.com/atta...uctions_B2.pdf

Downloaded this Eggfinder LCD Receiver 1.10R Software Update http://www.eggtimerrocketry.com/atta...uctions_B2.pdf saved it to c:\eggtimer

..using a usb cable from Eggtimer..changed the com port from 3 to 2.and Download the drivers for it

The Serial Cable to LCD’s serial header pins are the right colors. I have a shorting jumper pin in the two holes. I don't hear the buzzer when I turn the LCD on. I do see XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX across the LCD screen

I think I have all the command prompts right...see below.

I see things start to happen and remove the jumper..there's a long beeeep in there some where...thing scroll quickly in the cmd box..then it stops and I turn off the LCD and unplug things. Turn the LCD back on, and it still shows ver 1.09D

I've amazed myself to get this far. If you see where I screwed up or need more info...PLEASE ask questions and give directions as if I'm a 59 year old guy that just woke up from the 80's!

PS...and I did reboot my laptop just before I tried to flash the LCD...I read that some of the download things need to be rebooted prior to flashing,

Tony

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eggtimer1.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	336570  
    Last edited by tfish; 21st January 2018 at 05:26 AM.

It looks like your typing in all the correct commands. But its the "not in sync" error that's bad.

Are you sure your serial wires are hooked up to the correct post?

Eric Hamilton, NAR, TRA
    SARG, LUNAR
    Level 1, April 2017, Estes Argent, H115DM
    Level 2, September 2017, Scratchbuilt 2.6", J270G

I think you're pretty close, AVRDude isn't complaining about the serial port or not being to find the .hex file. What you need to do is pull the jumper out IMMEDIATELY AFTER hitting Enter to launch the .bat file. That should do it.

Did you restart Windows after installing AVRDude or whatever the software is? That was my frustration for flashing the LCD.
    Rich

NAR# 99154

L3-4x upscale Estes Cherokee-D- AT M1297W 5/28/2016 http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthr...r-rharshberger

TriCities Rocketeers NAR section# 736 http://www.tricitiesrocketeers.org/

OK..I've been playing with and reading more. That Jumper needs to come out quick. I tied some fishing line to it (go figure) I can now get it past the above cmd stuff,

I've done it four more times and get the following info,,each of the 4 times same info..

Tony

Name:	EF5.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	336582   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EF4.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	336583   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EF3.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	336584   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EF2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	336585  
    Last edited by tfish; 21st January 2018 at 06:19 AM.

also, I've not seen a window close. Is that the cmd window? nore the long beep at the end
    Just to confirm things. I place the jumper in and then turn on the LCD which still has it's battery in place.

and I'm using Windows 10

11) AS SOON AS YOU SEE THIS quickly remove the shorting jumper that you placed across the RST pads. If it “takes”, you will start to see a lot of stuff scroll rapidly across your screen. This means that it’s uploading, this is good. After about a minute or so it will stop and the window will close, your Eggfinder LCD will reset, and it will go into the normal operational mode (you’ll hear a long beep). Turn it off and disconnect the serial cable. Turn it back on, and confirm that the version on the LCD display matches the uploaded software version. If it does, you’re done!

Tony

Tony, you seem to almost be there but the syncing is the problem. I performed this LCD upgrade to version 1.10R yesterday without any hitches. You might not be getting a reliable reset if you've got a simple wire link in the reset pad holes. If it doesn't pull out cleanly, you might cause multiple resets. Whether this matters, I don't know.

However, you could try and solder a couple of leads to the reset pads with a momentary push button switch (NO - normally open) at the other end. Hold the button in while powering up the LCD then let go when the .bat file starts. I have this reset button fitted to my LCD module - it's very handy.

Good luck!
    John
    TRA #14574 L2

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager1 View Post
    Tony, you seem to almost be there but the syncing is the problem. I performed this LCD upgrade to version 1.10R yesterday without any hitches. You might not be getting a reliable reset if you've got a simple wire link in the reset pad holes. If it doesn't pull out cleanly, you might cause multiple resets. Whether this matters, I don't know.

However, you could try and solder a couple of leads to the reset pads with a momentary push button switch (NO - normally open) at the other end. Hold the button in while powering up the LCD then let go when the .bat file starts. I have this reset button fitted to my LCD module - it's very handy.

Good luck!
    Yes, it's likely that if you don't pull out the paperclip cleanly it will reset multiple times and fail the update.

Another option is a header and a shorting jumper across the RST pads, that's what I do in my test LCD receiver. I upload to it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by cerving View Post
    Yes, it's likely that if you don't pull out the paperclip cleanly it will reset multiple times and fail the update.

Another option is a header and a shorting jumper across the RST pads, that's what I do in my test LCD receiver. I upload to it a lot.
    Copy..

I tried it about 6 more times last night. Still no joy. I'll see if I can find a header and jumper thing online.
    attached photo is what I've been using/trying.

Tony

Name:	ef6.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	336593  

I use a 2 pin header and a JST connector with the wires twisted together or if I can get at the pins use a shorting block and use one of those. Once you get the timing/technique down and the hardware is setup it's not so bad. Kurt
    Last edited by ksaves2; 21st January 2018 at 09:47 PM.

I cut a Pin and Jumper out of an old damaged altimeter. I'm just holding it to the RST holes. I turn on the LCD and the screen shows..something that looks like all XXXXXXX not really x's but sort of. I then inter the eggfinder_lcd_1_10r.bat (command?)

as soon as the cmd shows info about Com3 etc. I remove the jumper and the "stuff starts scrolling on the cmd and a long beeeep. Stuff is still scrolling in the cmd . I look at the LCD screen and all the XXXXXX stuff is gone and normal LCD is displaying.

I've done this at least 30 times now. Varying how long I wait to pull the pin etc.
    once the cmd stuff stops. I turn off the LCD, disconnect it and then turn the LCD back one to check if it flashed.

If nobody has any more ideas, I'm going to send it to a buddy of mine to see if he can update the flash.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by ksaves2 View Post
    I use a 2 pin header and a JST connector with the wires twisted together or if I can get at the pins use a shorting block and use one of those. Once you get the timing/technique down and the hardware is setup it's not so bad. Kurt
    Assuming it's still provided with the kit, I simply took the provided button that I wasn't going to use for it's intended purpose (since I was wiring those pads to an external button on my case) and soldered it in the reset position instead. It did require bending back some of the metal frame pins, but was an easy mod, and gives a nice button to hold/release for programming.

If the right sequence is followed the micro never has a chance to send anything to the display (it boots into the programming mode instead of Cris' code), so I'm confused by the mention of "XXX"'s on the display, that simply shouldn't ever happen as I understand it. So not sure if that points to a soldering issue and this LCD board doesn't really work right (did it ever work?), or perhaps the contrast is just off (there's a screw-pot on the main board to adjust this) and you're saying ALL of the pixels are lit? Since the RST pads really are a reset for the micro, you can let the unit boot normally (i.e. get to "Waiting for fix..." on the LCD screen) and then short those two pads for a moment, the unit should restart when you do that, if it doesn't then there's probably a bad connection somewhere (couldn't say where).
    Will Ferry (Launches & Videos) NAR #96512 (L2) / TRA #15328 (L2) / LUNAR #2759
    L1: 9/2013 @ XPRS, GLR T-Bolt "Thunderbolt" (R.I.P.), H148R
    L2: 4/2016 @ TCC Helm, Binder Design Excel w/DD "dd2.xls", J315R
    Impulse flown (flights): 2013: 767Ns (2), 2014: 4298Ns (8), 2015: 7486Ns (16), 2016: 11693Ns (18), 2017: 11138Ns (16), 2018: 2875Ns (3)

a quick reply.

It's been working fine for 3 years. The only reason I want to flash it. is because I got the LCD/GPS unit and a 3D printed case for it.

I see now, my XXX'e description is not very accurate...see below.

I'll play around with it some more tonight.

Tony

Name:	ef8.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	336633   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ef7.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	336634  

Quote Originally Posted by tfish View Post
    I see now, my XXX'e description is not very accurate...see below.
    That's bizarre, I haven't seen that before. I assume stuff does show up on the lower line of the display when you're receiving Eggfinder GPS coordinates (or interacting with a TRS)? Maybe that's not a surprise to Cris, but I'd either expect the entire display to be blank or the entire display to appear lit (which would just be a contrast thing as it shouldn't actually be 'lit' [black]), not half-on and half-off.
    Will Ferry (Launches & Videos) NAR #96512 (L2) / TRA #15328 (L2) / LUNAR #2759
    L1: 9/2013 @ XPRS, GLR T-Bolt "Thunderbolt" (R.I.P.), H148R
    L2: 4/2016 @ TCC Helm, Binder Design Excel w/DD "dd2.xls", J315R
    Impulse flown (flights): 2013: 767Ns (2), 2014: 4298Ns (8), 2015: 7486Ns (16), 2016: 11693Ns (18), 2017: 11138Ns (16), 2018: 2875Ns (3)

I think it's normal, actually. That's what mine does when I power the LCD Rx module up with the reset button pressed. I think that the LCD board just powers up in it's initial state before the processor board comes out of reset and initializes the LCD display. I've seen this many times before when applying power to an unconfigured 2-line LCD display.
    John
    TRA #14574 L2

I played around with it again last night.

I took it apart and checked the solder joints on the 4-pin serial pin header. They look good to me...see attached

I also deleted the Flash doc's I downloaded from Eggtimer. I reloaded them again, thinking I named them wrong or put them in the wrong place.

Tried about 10 times to flash it. I varied the time..to pull the jumper shorter pin...Still no joy.

Unless someone has more ideas, I'm going to send this to a buddy of mine. Maybe he can figure it out.

Tony

Name:	ef9.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	336714  

I want to thank Will ...Woferry... for Flashing my LCD at the launch on Saturday. Thanks Will.

I noticed he was entering the command and releasing the momentary switch...which I added...almost at the same time.

So then Chris release a new Flash version...so, I figure what the heck I can do that!
    15 tries last night. Another 12 tries this morning with no luck.
    I've double checked and triple checked everything. Well not quite. I have 3 of the Eggtimer USB serial cables.
    I tried a different one tonight and got it to flash on the first try.

Thanks to the others that tried to help me...

Tony
    Last edited by tfish; 6th February 2018 at 04:35 AM.

The trick is to short the RST pads, and release the short IMMEDIATELY after launching the .bat file. Personally, I use a pair of sharp bent tweezers... I just hold them against the pads, hit Enter on the keyboard, and lift them away from the pads. Works every time. Others have put a little tactile button on them or a header, that works too... the programmer that I threw together for the Atmel chips uses a RST button.

Quote Originally Posted by cerving View Post
    The trick is to short the RST pads, and release the short IMMEDIATELY after launching the .bat file. Personally, I use a pair of sharp bent tweezers... I just hold them against the pads, hit Enter on the keyboard, and lift them away from the pads. Works every time. Others have put a little tactile button on them or a header, that works too... the programmer that I threw together for the Atmel chips uses a RST button.
    I've only flashed it once, but I agree with the above and not waiting until " you see some stuff AS SOON AS YOU SEE THIS quickly remove the shorting jumper".

And the biggest thing might have been switching to another Eggtimer USB serial cable. The first USB seemed looser on the pins then the one that worked.

Tony