Launches in Florida

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dad Man Walking

Dontree Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine lives in Florida, and is interested in going to a launch and seeing what all of the fuss is about. He lives in the Ft. Lauderdale area, but will travel for a good event. I've turned him on to the NAR and Tripoli sites to find clubs and launch calendars, but I'd like to point him to launches that will have a lot of flights, hopefully with lots of high power. Any suggestions?

I also live in Ft. Lauderdale. Basically, the farther you drive, the better the launch. The Broward club has monthly launches on the second Sat of the month and the Dade club has the same on the first Sat of each month, but both are G motor max. The Palm Beach club flies on the last Sat of each month, usually a good crowd and plenty of flights, HPR L1 is OK, maximum I motors and 2000' waiver. The launch must be canceled if Trump is at Mar-a-Lago, which happens quite a lot. The nearest launch where L2 and L3 are allowed is the Ft. Myers Tripoli launch at Labelle west of Lake Okeechobee, about 1 1/2 hours from Lauderdale, first Saturday of the month. Nice folks but not that well attended, and lots of high brush so a tracker is a necessity. Then 2 1/2 hours from Lauderdale is the Spaceport Club in Palm Bay, third Sat of the month, high waiver and plenty of HPR launches. Tracker needed. Even further are the Tampa Tripoli club, which launches in Plant City (3 1/2 hours from Lauderdale) on the third Sat of the month and finally NEFAR, near Bunnell (north of Daytona, over 4 hours from Lauderdale), second Saturday of the month. Many regard NEFAR as the best Florida club, they have a nice site, plenty of friendly people, and vendors. Tampa and NEFAR have a 2-day launch twice a year. I went to the Tampa event in October and it was fun, they even had a night launch.

NEFAR in Bunnell probably has the best field in Florida, 10k waiver. 2nd Saturday every month with a 2 day event every April & November. Lots of HP rockets.

I was looking forward to getting to the last NEFAR launch (13 JAN) during my work trip to FL. Rain storm came through on the Friday and the launch was cancelled :(

So that means my SpaceX F9 kit has flown to 39k' and is almost eligible for frequent flier points. It came with me in my baggage!

Shame I missed that launch. Next time...

Back