Nomex blanket size

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
For some reason, I have four new 18" x 18" Nomex blankets. Would they be big enough for LOC 7.5" tubing?

For some reason, I have four new 18" x 18" Nomex blankets. Would they be big enough for LOC 7.5" tubing?

Per LOC's web site:

"[FONT=&quot]Fire Resistant Blanket 3.5"x3.5" for up to 38mm Airframe, Fire Resistant Blanket 6" x 6" for up to 2.56" Airframe, Fire Resistant Blanket 9"x9" for up to 3" Airframe, Fire Resistant Blanket 12"x12" for up to 4" Airframe, Fire Resistant Blanket 18"x18" for up to 6" Airframe, Fire Resistant Blanket 24"x24" for up to 8" Airframe[/FONT]"
https://www.locprecision.com/product/locprecision-flame-resistant-blankets/

It looks like you want 24x24.

a

If you can get your parachute well-wrapped it could work. I would use two, one attached near the chute and the other near the nose.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

We would recommend the 24"x24" size for your Loc 7.5" tubing as stated above.
I have a 7.5" rocket and ended using a 30" blanket although a 24" would have worked as well. I don't think the 18" would be quite big enough. There tends to be a lot of 'slop' in a tube that big so you really need good coverage over your chute to keep it safe from damage.

As I like to say, what are the odds you'll regret using the smaller size vs. the larger one?

Tony

I'd better order a 24x24. I don't want to damage my expensive Rocketman parachute.

Back