Estes Extreme 12 question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockets

Reaction score
Quick question about the Estes Extreme 12.
I just some packs of D12's for the rocket.
How high do you think it would go on a D12-0 to a D12-5? I'm going to a farm with a field that is about 1/2 mile big, and I'm trying to figure out if I should give this a try or not.

I'm thinking it would go maybe 1200 ft??

Thanks,

I say GO-FOR-IT ! :cool:

The hardest thing about this rocket is recovery.
- Get extra people to help watch it - assign somebody to watch the booster only. (1st stage) That's the hardest job - so pick a reliable person and make sure they know to follow it all the way to the ground.

- Launch in clear blue skies and it will be much easier to see.
- Launch in overcast or hazy conditions and you might loose it.

-Good luck!!

= oh yeah, I'm guessing around 1500' - 1700' feet for altitude - which might be out of sight or nearly out of sight depending on sky conditions.

- Get extra people to help watch it - assign somebody to watch the booster only. (1st stage) That's the hardest job - so pick a reliable person and make sure they know to follow it all the way to the ground.

-Good luck!!

= oh yeah, I'm guessing around 1500' - 1700' feet for altitude - which might be out of sight or nearly out of sight depending on sky conditions.

Exactly! Thank you.

-Good luck!!

OK, thank you for the info. I'll give it a try, and post the results here tomorrow night. I'm hoping to get a video of it.
Yeah, I'll track the sustainer, and I'll have my friend track the booster. I'll probably stick some tracking powder inside the sustainer.
Conditions for tomorrow should be mostly sunny, we'll find out whoppins.

Thanks,

OK, thank you for the info. I'll give it a try, and post the results here tomorrow night. I'm hoping to get a video of it.
Yeah, I'll track the sustainer, and I'll have my friend track the booster. I'll probably stick some tracking powder inside the sustainer.
Conditions for tomorrow should be mostly sunny, we'll find out whoppins.

Thanks,

One last thing I want to add. It's about 25-30 minutes from Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky airport, so should it be OK?
The lowest flying planes around there should be about 2.5K, so I should be good to go.
I'll scan the sky, and listen for any planes, and I won't fly the Extreme 12 if it's overcast.
Should I still go for it??

Thanks,

One last thing I want to add. It's about 25-30 minutes from Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky airport, so should it be OK?
The lowest flying planes around there should be about 2.5K, so I should be good to go.
I'll scan the sky, and listen for any planes, and I won't fly the Extreme 12 if it's overcast.
Should I still go for it??

Thanks,

No legal advice here, bud. Listen to the lady, DO IT!

Unless, of course, it's unsafe..

It worked! :)
I launched it, both stages lit, and it all came back!!
I think it went about 1200 ft.

Thanks,

Yes, pictures please. Staggers are cool, right ? BTW when in doubt you can use the number prominently displayed on the kit face card.

estes extreme 12.jpg

Good to hear Andrew, 2-stagers have always given me a headache!

When you're thinking about your next rocket purchase, an Estes altimeter may be just the thing to get you some real altitude numbers.

Back